Lancia Beta Zagato | FerrariChat

Lancia Beta Zagato

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Santiago Montenegro, Jan 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Please talk me out of getting one of those...

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #2 Dom, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    I had one during my last year in college (late 1980's) Great little car, but a rust bucket. Legendary Italian quality (that's a joke). Also, if it matters to you, front wheel drive.

But, as a college student, it was amazing. Semi convertible, and with back seats. People really couldn't fit in the back seat, so they would sit on the rear trunk with their feet on the seats, while holding on to the "roll bar".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

FORZA 62 and Santiago Montenegro like this.
  3. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    You're not helping that much , LOL

Boomhauer and Dom like this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    OK, here goes - The Betas are not Lancias. The Beta is basically Fiat. Yes, the Beta is very lovely to look at - nice proportions, nicely styled.. but technically it is a Fiat with nearly nothing of the engineering talent that Lancia was famous for. This was the time of transitioning everything to plastic - The interior parts are weaker than the bra straps on a Brazilian girl's bikini. Everything is fragile and breaks, with no spares and no aftermarket support. Electricals are Fiat and at least that gives you some parts exchange, but still hard to find parts. There was a very nice one for sale in Washington a few years ago, Asking $2,300 and it didn't even sell at that. Tragic for a "car-guy" to see such loveliness go unwanted - but here is a good reason for it.. it is too painful to own a lovely car that is so maddeningly frustrating to keep fixing. Cheers, - Art

Santiago Montenegro likes this.
  5. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    go here : lancisti.net good source

6. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Ok, that's more like it. Furthermore, seller's being uncooperative, so I think I'll pass.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Good. And just to be sure you don't try it again - the steel used in the construction was an inexpensive soft alloy, combined with poor management of water runoff gave that era of Lancia the same problem as Fiat and Alfa - they rust like crazy. The Gamma was not terrible, but most other Lancias in that period were terrible. Cheers.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I had one for a while. Everyone loved it, more thumbs up than the Ferrari. Drove it from St. Louis to Dallas back in the late 2000s. It ended up sidelined for electrical problems, and then the hood latch cable broke and I couldn't get the hood open. It's one that I wish I kept, but I needed the space. Fun car. But good luck finding parts.

Here's the old for-sale thread for pics: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dfw-lancia-zagato-for-sale.178164/

9. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Many parts available :
    Midwest Bayless
    The Monte Hospital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Great car. Really loved it! Had one in the family since new for many-many years. Very well built automobile! Started to get little tired at 32X,XXX miles. Needed lots of love by that point. The handling was soooo great and very well balanced. Stuck great. No obvious handling woes being front wheel drive. Would have loved to restore if I was 20. Also handled exceptional in the snow. 2 l motor had plenty of power. I recall brakes being very secure. I agree with another poster that some parts could be a challenge.

11. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Someone here is talking too much, as usual, without any knowledge about the topic.
    The Spyder (named Zagato in the USA) used the Beta coupé's shorter wheelbase and featured a targa top roof panel, a roll-over bar and folding rear roof. Early models did not have a cross-member supporting the roof between the tops of the A to B Pillars. Later models had fixed cross-members. Production started in 1975. From 1976 Lancia abandoned the previous steel supplier. It was initially powered by either the 1.6 lt or 1.8 twin-cam engine (designed by Lancia engineers), later being replaced by the new 1.6 lt and 2.0 (Fiat derived). In Europe, it never received the fuel injected engine, although a fuel injected version was sold in the US market in 1981 and 1982. The Spyder was designed by Pininfarina and built by Zagato, which suffered a production crisis. The construction process was complex, with coupé bodies-in-white being delivered to Zagato for the roofless conversion, then back to Lancia for rust-proofing, then back to Zagato for paint, interior and trim, and then back to Lancia for a third time for engine installation and final assembly. Lancia lost huge money on every car built, but decided to proceed with the job to Zagato. In early 1980s Lancia also produced a small number of Spyder Volumex (supercharged) cars. This was the last Lancia to be offered in the USA, being the company's sole offering in 1982, their last year in the US market.
    My father was the Lancia production supervisor so these words are indisputable.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I had one. Loved it. They weren't "just a Fiat", what with a very bespoke and advanced suspension setup. They did of course use the Lampredi-designed four cylinder twin cam common in Fiats at the time (and continued through the Delta Integrale, Thema, etc.)

They are very fun cars, are easy to work on, plentiful parts (except taillights actually), they get lots of attention.

I installed European bumpers on mine. I saved it from a little dealership in the rain and a window that didn't work. I spent time fixing various things and driving it for 4 years or so. My girls were 4 and 6 when I got it and loved riding in the back with the top down.

Rory J, RJ Ribaudo, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  13. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Munich license plates!

14. RJ Ribaudo

RJ Ribaudo Rookie

Dec 2, 2019
    I'm currently in communication with a seller in PA about buying his '82... This thread made me both not want one, and really want one. Oh well

bjwhite likes this.
  15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Looking at the pics again make me sort of miss mine. :)