Gated 360 Shifter questions | FerrariChat

Gated 360 Shifter questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by DonBecker, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    Hi,

Wondering if someone could tell me whether the shift shaft and gate on a 360 are steel or aluminium, and what the shaft diameter is?

Also, I'm interested in how tight tolerances are on the gate. From pictures I see it screws into the center console, but I'd imagine it would need to be pretty spot on for the gate to not interfere with shifting?

Sorry for the odd questions, I'm new to gated shifters in general. Thanks in advance.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The gate appears to be milled aluminum. The shaft of the shifter is steel. The diameter is ~8.45mm.

As to the tolerances, the gate seems to be more or less a visual accessory and not something that actually is involved with shifting. I don't recall the shifter ever contacting the gate. Looks cool though.

I suppose if the shift bearing were worn, and the shifter wallowed around like a column shifter on an old Ford F100, then the gate would be handy.

3. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    The plate IIRC is stainless or hardened steel and was hard to mill. I machined it a wee to help with slik shifting. The bearings/bushes on the linkages at the Gbox end is something you should look at there made of plastic check them for wear and fine adjusting can be PITA. The crappy plastic bush at bottom of stick is very weak and will fail Hill eng do a uprated alloy bush. My car when doing a V quick shift from 1st to 2nd doesn't always go in I plan to check and replace shift bushes and fine tune/ adjust shifter cables in nxt couple months Gud luk bro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    When I had my console off I tried to select a gear... not possible wo the gated plate... for me. Not just a visual effect imho.

5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    They go clack clack with most shifts. So need to be hard steel or they would wear horribly.

brogenville likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not true. There is no internal mechanism or structure in the transmission to guide the shifter correctly to contact the correct parts or to stay in alignment with the internal selectors. The gate is required for proper operation.

brogenville likes this.
  7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Well, I was right on the diameter of the shaft...

The gate is indeed steel. I checked it with a magnet. As for it being required to shift, I can't say since I'm a careful shifter.

8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’ve driven both my 348 (cable shift) and my 355 (shift rod) with the entire consoles removed and had no problems. I don’t understand what would be different with the 360 (also cable shift) setup but I guess if anyone would know it would be Rifledriver.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’ve had some ultra high resolution scanning done on some shift gates.

Think I would get into trouble with Ferrari if I start getting these machined?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi101 likes this.
  10. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    Pretty cool pic. It's interesting how you can see the gate slots for 1-2 and 5-6 are angled and how 3-4 has no angle.

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Would probably have to get rid of the angled reverse for the 360, the only thing Ferrari could ***** about would be the Cavallino...

EastMemphis likes this.
  12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Wondering why you would make those? Not likely to ever get damaged or lost so where would the demand be for them?

13. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It was partly a bit of fun- i have a pal that just invested in the scanner for his business, so he was happy to have something to test out the machine on, and partly because I know how expensive these parts are now. There does seem to be a growing demand (all brings being relative) due to manual conversions.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brog- oh yes there is a market!

15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Did not realize that there that many manual conversions going on. Now it makes sense.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The shop near me has 430’s lined up like its little Italy!

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Just finished my own manual conversion on my 612. Its the way forward!