355 Vs 993 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 Vs 993

Discussion in '348/355' started by madturk, Oct 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    I think it is really relevant especially with the insane prices of the 993 and the 964 as well. Both on par or sometimes higher than the F-cars...
    I am a relatively new owner (few months) of a 1995 F355 Spyder and thus still learning the car. I am on my 8th Porsche and owned a few 911 (including a GT3), Boxster, Cayman, 944 and a GT4, with most tracked (some extensively for years).
    Hard to argue with many posts above but emotionally the Ferraris are hard to beat. I spent a substantial amount on my 1990 C2 Targa in the 14 years I owned it, possibly as much I would;d have on a 348 or even 355. My 2000 C4 996 convertible needed a clutch, new top, and a few more thing sin 2019 so it was a very expensive year. That said there is no function/button which is not working on this under appreciated car (bought it for 1/3 of the 355 price).
    I am lucky (or crazy) enough to have both in the garage so no need to choose. But if I had to I could likely stay with a Porsche. Just overall so much more practical, shifts much better (when cold esp.) and with w=inter wheel/tire package easily drivable in the snow even. Both my 964 and 944 were driven 12 months...

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Here's a rare footage by some random bystander of my buddy's 96 White GTB and his 993 TT when he had it. He ended up selling the 993 TT a decade ago for about $80k .Still has the 355. I've told him his white GTB is worth a million bucks if he wants to sell. He's keeping it forever. How's that for relevance? IMHO, a non TT 993 shouldn't even be in the discussion and a 993 TT is worth 2x the price of a 355... sooo probably not relevant anymore.

ernie likes this.
  3. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    I own both 993 and F355. The former drives and looks like an old car. The F355 drives like a new car and looks exotic, not in an old way. Driver enjoyment, outside of the track, is hands down 355. But I wouldn't dare put it on a track as I don't believe the engine and brakes could handle the thrashing like a 993.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The F355 engine can easily handle the stress. The brakes just need to be upgraded.

F355Bob, mclaudio and Robb like this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There was a challenge series, plus they ran Le Mans. The engines are racing engines essentially. Brakes, yes upgrade them a bit.

mclaudio likes this.
  6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    To that point, I thought 993 and F355 brakes were essentially the same?

7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The F355 have pretty common 4 piston brembo small frame brake calipers, the 993 probably shares them, however the 993 Turbo is 322 mm front and rear rotors whereas the F355 has 310
    Front and 300 rear. So on the track the Porsche should suffer less from fade.

8. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Interesting. I also own both and feel pretty much exactly the opposite on how they drive. The 993 is confidence inspiring and a brilliant drive while the F355 is... entertaining. Some of that has to do with the fact that the 993 is on ~7 year old, fairly modern and high quality coilovers while the F355 is on completely original suspension but for me, the 993's driving dynamics, feel (especially feel - the F355 is numb by comparison!) and predictability put a much bigger smile on my face than the F355.

Also, the 993's transmission is much smoother and feels like a well well oiled, high quality firearm compared to the beautiful and very cool but slightly clunky (literally!) gated shifter.

On the other hand, the engine in the F355 is an order of magnitude more thrilling than the flat 6 in the 993 and I give it the edge in the overall looks, interior and generally it's a very cool car.

At the end of the day, I'd keep the 993 over the F355 if I needed to but I'm glad I don't have to because the best answer to the question posed by the OP is "Both!"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cole_ve, INTMD8 and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  9. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Well since your picture shows the Aston as well I have to comment although it gets us off topic...
    I had the V12 Vantage carbon black edition myself and sold it after 3 years. Got the GT4 and the F-355.
    Wish I would gotten the F-355 and kept the Aston. It was an event driving that beast every single time.
    Not as great and precise steering as the Porsche, not as exiting as the Ferrari but altogether in a different league - at least for me. YMMV

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Another vote for the Aston.

I drove a 996 turbo and 997 and both of those seemed very uneventful without any real excitement...

I’d like to try a 993 but have a feeling it would feel similar to the other 911...

Experienced a 991 and that was the first Porsche I felt was starting to get there in feel.

Robb

11. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The 355 is superior to the 993 in every way.
    Just as the 550 is superior to the Aston Martin.

Just park either beside the car in question. Hands down.

12. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I must tell you though, I had a C6 and recently sold it.

But my C6 based 67 Chevelle is my favourite friggin car right now.

I just love this machine.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    SoCal1 likes this.
  15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

LOL yeah they are that good
    Next track toy will be one of those for sure. The 4WD is amazing to play with for balance

:)

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I had a different take on things Rob. I owned a 996 and also 997 and also at 991. I felt the 991 it really lost something the 997 was the sweet spot where the car had not gotten too large had a lot of power and was really excellent. 355 beats them all

ShineKen likes this.
  17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    993 in the normally aspirated version was classic but slow I’d like to try the turbo 993 but I’ve never driven one

18. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #93 mclaudio, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    +1 on 355, 993 and 996TT.

As I daily drove air-cooled 911s/964s back in the day, I considered going backwards in age via a 993. Tried it. Nope. Progress has moved on.

996 is oldest I’d go in terms of stock street 911s. My all-season, mountain biking/snowboard trip car is a 996TT. Peak analog/modern era combo in one car (along with other Mezger water-cooled 911s). It has been sharing garage space with my 355 Ch for a few years now.

Now, 355 vs 993? Apples to oranges. Hard for me to start comparing meaningfully unless the 911 is a GT3 or RS version.

ShineKen and KMR968Turbo like this.
  19. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I had two 997s and a 9914S. I loved the 997s but think the 991 is better. The 355 is better than not just the 993 but also every Porsche I’ve had including 991. It may not be faster but it’s easier to drive, better looking, better sounding, etc... My 991 is a great car but doesn’t come close to a 355.

EnzoItaly, ShineKen and Robb like this.
  20. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My 355 Challenge got a new stable mate this fall. I'm back in a 996 Turbo, with the GT2 nose and GT2 style tail. Strange enough, I owned this car before. It passed through the hands of a few friends and was upgraded along the way. Now making 670 AWHP with full suspension, brake and transmission mods. It might be a little too hard core for the family so I will look into softening it up a bit. Just posting because it's not often you find someone with almost exactly the same taste in cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mclaudio likes this.
  21. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

Funny thing is that there’s only one car in which I have bought/owned twice: a 996. Lol.

My first race car, a 69 911, is something I’d consider owning again. But certainly not to replace the 355 Ch.

22. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Beautiful 996...I have a 2000 C4 cab.
    The most underrated cars right now and can be bought cheap. The TT easily in the 348 or 355 price range (or cheaper) and honestly no contest.
    That said there is something about the 355 (for me) I can't really describe in any reasonable way what sets it apart from all the cars. YMMV

23. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    Living in New England, I’m looking at getting a Porsche 997 TT as a DD, especially while the F355 is in storage during the winter months. I would consider a 993 TT, but would not pay that much for a car to slush around in the snow and salt...maybe a 993 4s, but I hear the 993s has terrible heaters.

24. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I'll give you my expert opinion as someone that has owned a Porsche 993 C2 manual for over 10 years and a Ferrari 360 Modena manual gearbox for exactly 15 years. I have also driven an F355 many times.

The Porsche 993 is a beautiful car, with great build quality, reliable and amazing driving dynamics. It is very rewarding to drive and can be used as a daily driver as well.

The Ferrari F355 on the other hand is an exotic. Just approaching it makes you feel excited. Every drive is an event. You cannot go anywhere without getting noticed. With regards to performance, it is fast, but you got to know how to drive it to extract the performance. It sounds amazing. But... there is no way anyone could use this as a daily driver !! Furthermore, reliability and maintenance is a huge issue that requires big commitment from the owner and expensive repairs.

Ideally, one should try to own both, since they signify 2 of the most important and icon performance cars of the 1990s and 2 of the most successful models of the 2 best car brands in the world : Porsche and Ferrari.

There is no way to lose money on these cars. So in terms of investment it is also a sound choice.

At the end of the day, you gotta decide for yourself. Theorically I would say, by the Porsche if you want all around daily driver and the Ferrari just for exotic weekend car. But since both have become very valuable, they are both limited use weekend cars, so my suggestion is go for the more extreme F355 !!!

ShineKen and DaisyCutter like this.
  25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Better is subjective so not super clear what this thread looks do, maybe just lively discussion. Are we comparing performance or visceral reaction or sexiness or what? Interesting to read perspectives I suppose. Let's assume it's talking performance? Because if its appeal or sexiness or desirability etc it's always 355. Even in Porsche forums I'll wager it's undeniable regardless. I'll add some color commentary and hopefully entertainment.

In that vein let's stay with performance. Those not familiar with imports may find this interesting. Sexiness is tied to dollars generally Performance is not. So If were talking performance... awd lambo driven by a pro against a 4 door driven by a middle aged fat man as he says, wed all still take the lambo :) but Enjoy.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app