430 - Drain Power Steering Fluid | FerrariChat

430 Drain Power Steering Fluid

Discussion in '360/430' started by MKTViper, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Any recommendations to drain the PS Fluid? I'm following the WM which says to undo the union on the steering rack (see below). I removed the rear liner in the luggage compartment to get to it, but can't get any leverage to loosen it against the lock nut.

I also looked at removing the return line on the fluid reservoir to "pump" the fluid out, but almost impossible to get to.

Any thoughts? At this point I'm ready to let my guy at LoCo Exotics handle it.

Thanks,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I remember doing that years ago. Complete PITA as you’re figuring out. From what I remember I had to remove various hoses around it. Not something I’d want to do again.

3. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I think there a better way at the PS reservoir. I'm about to do this (prob this week) and this is the method I'm going to try.

here is a video of the procedure on a different car, but the physics/mechanics are the same.

4. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, that was my plan "B". Run the fluid through the system and drain it at the return on the reservoir. Unike this video, very hard to get to as it's so far forward right in-between the two upper intake manifolds.

Let me know how it goes!

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The WSM says to turn lock to lock to pump out the old fluid. Refilling along the way isn't that critical since the system self bleeds. You could disconnect at most any point along the return line and add a hose & container as long as the level in the container isn't above the top of the PS reservoir. It would then flow from there through the reservoir, clearing out the rest of the return line.

I have done it and it isn't hard. I believe we tend to overthink it.

honda.vfr and flash32 like this.
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I put a procedure on how to do this on here a few weeks ago, an easy diy job.

8. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But WHERE did you open up the return line? At the reservoir? Pump? Rack?

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You disconnect the return at the tank and then fit an extension pipe so you can drop the fluid into a container, the pump draws from the tank so no point connecting to it. The rack does the pumping.

10. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's the lower hose, right?

11. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    SUCCESS! I found where the metal return pipe attaches to the LOWER HOSE (cloth) that goes into the reservoir. Underneath the car, right in front of the AC compressor. Everything else as previously mentioned. I'd recommend a 1/2" or so flexible hose to attach to the metal return pipe (from the steering rack) and obviously something to plug the cloth hose going to the reservoir. It's a little messy getting everything fitted, and pulling the cloth hose off the metal pipe was a challenge (overlap by about 2"). I removed the hose clamp for better movement. Once I figured that all out, took about 30min.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I did it at the rack. Open the bottom panel and you are off to the races

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Will doing it at the rack flush the system, if the return goes to the tank you are sure it is getting the full circuit, unless the connection at the rack is the other end of the return line

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is per the WSM and yes, it is the other end of the return. When you remove it it drains the tank.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You sure you have the right one as i would have expected the return to go to the top of the tank

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Per the WSM but do as you please.