360 CS or 16M ? | FerrariChat

360 CS or 16M ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LightGuy, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 LightGuy, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Either one will be my next and probably last Ferrari purchase.
    Retirement, fixed income, draining 401Ks and all that crap...
    Dont want to dip into retirement funds for a toy.

As such retaining ( or increasing ) value in a toy is a considerable priority.
    Perhaps primary.
    I'd be happy with either car.

For the CS as I see it;
    The very first of the obtainable "Production Street Racer " series.
    Before the Scuds, 599 GTOs etc etc.
    Non production 288GTO and F40 now way out of my price range.... coulda woulda shoulda back in the day...DOH !
    Very limited production vs all Scud series overall which may be triple.
    Looks better ? I tend to like coupes now not having a convertible for 30 years. Pehaps I forget the joy of convertables. On the other hand coupes are more serious "race cars".
    On the other hand these are not actual race cars. Big difference. As I have raced.
    These are street cars with race car influence.

Against;
    Belt changes.
    Slower than even mid level performance cars of today.
    Specific parts unavailable.
    Not a fan of the front end plain Jane look. Headlights are weird.

For the 16M;
    More performance including slashing 0-60 times by a second.
    Chain drive cams = less maintenance.
    Limited production at 499 (or so Ferrari sez).
    458 Apertas sell for more than double. Are they double the car ?
    16Ms are "The first" cabriolet special mid engined V-8.
    Some say the folding top is better than the Aperta.
    Some.

If the price difference were not huge which would you choose ?

Why ?

2. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Belt changes are way overblown. Costs <$3k for the full deal in and out with all the other extras that should be taken care of at that time. Only needed every 3-5 years. It's a factor but I wouldn't make it the deciding factor. Don't let it deter you from a CS.
    Relatively low speed gains on the 360CS are a gem in disguise -- it truly allows you to RING it out on public roads without doing something stupid. With modern exotics like a Mclaren you're almost instantly into jail territory. With the 360CS you can ring it out and enjoy the unreal exhaust note. I assure you you won't be sitting there wanting more, it's plenty lively! It's a handful in its own right.
    Parts inavailability is a bummer but many parts are shared with normal 360s which are more affordable now then ever. All 430 variants will fall victim to this soon too, if they haven't already.
    The 16M gearbox at low speeds is the biggest improvement over the CS in my opinion, but that gap tightens at higher speeds.
    I will also say that, subjectively, the 360CS has far more of a cult following than the 16M. I personally LOVE the styling of the CS from every single angle and so will many other buyers.
    You'll enjoy either option

marknkidz and arizonaitalian like this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    CS should really be compared against Scud.

16M as a numbered limited edition has by far the greater future uplift potential,as seen by current high prices compared to the above.

I am also heading towards this situation.;)

f355spider and arizonaitalian like this.
  4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    16M all day. Limited production on a small scale, top up or down, with killer performance!! What more could you want!

plastique999 and flash32 like this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Everything they learned on the 360, CS, 599 (F1software) and F430 went into the Scud and 16M. Why are you comparing a CS with a 16M and not with a Scud?

arizonaitalian likes this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    If I had to choose it would be the 16M but personally, as I have gotten a little older, I prefer the driving experience of the 599. Why not a V12?

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Too many Scuds made over the CS or 16M.
    The Scud would be perfect if not for production numbers.

My first concern is $$$.
    Sounds crass to some but the attitude has served me well over the years.

f355spider likes this.
  8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ve been fortunate to have owned a number of pretty special cars over the years. The only one I wouldn’t sell is the Stradale. I believe it’s the most balanced Ferrari in the last couple of decades when it comes to the driving engagement and overall experience. I’m also a huge fan of the muscular but not overly fussy looks.

In terms of investment I think both are equally as promising. The CS has only a few hundred cars for the US market, and obviously the 16m is limited production which helps their values similarly. Both are pretty similar in terms of maintenance too, so outside of consumables you shouldn’t experience insane cost variables between the two. Acquisition costs would be less for the CS, so it may have longer to run in terms of upside, but both are definitely significant for collectors so good examples will always be in demand.

mikesufka and arizonaitalian like this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m obviously biased...but Schumacher’s input into the Scud with it’s historic fastest SCT in a production Ferrari makes it a true icon. Extraordinarily nimble and light feeling at your fingertips, it is extremely agile. Then when you combine its symphony with top down....pure bliss.
    What price difference are you seeing?

Sent from my 16M

mikesufka likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #10 arizonaitalian, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    I don’t think either will present any issues with your declared primary criteria (price retention).

(Keep in mind the extra money for the 16M under your thesis isn’t really “extra cost”, rather they both will retain their value or increase so the 16M doesn’t really cost more if you think of cost as actual depr incurred - as I do. That said, the 16M market appears to me to be adjusting downward still from the bubble peaks of 2016/2017. So you need to buy right. The CS market is far more understood and more cars are priced at the new lower market range.)

...so a convertible vs a coupe is a big delta and thus will come down to your personal preference...drive them both and you will know.

yes the superfast 2 F1 is far better than the CS box. And yes the 16M saves you about $800/year in belt change cost. Of course it also has two pricey items that the CS does not, that could fail and cost a lot - the top and the eDiff. So who knows how maint costs would work out over a longish ownership period. Likely no meaningful delta.

So all cost (maint and depr risk) criteria will be essentially the same (luck excluded, especially with the soft top mechanisms and the F1-related stuff).

Thus it comes down to the subjective and personal preference.

(oh, I should add - I think you already did the hard part. Your two finalists are both great fits for your goal. As would be a 550 bought at a fair price. Those 3 are on my "last ferrari" list along with a well-priced 430 gated car)

imahorse likes this.
  11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The top down experience is something else and in this chassis (unlike the 458) doesn't carry a meaningful penalty.

E60 M5 likes this.
  12. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There are fewer CS than 16M. You have to count how any have been totaled Into your equation. For more proof, look how many of each are for sale. A bunch of 16M on AT and EBay. I have a CS and love it. I’d like to add a Scud. I never liked the look of 16Ms but that’s just me.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    So 50 %+ of CS have been totaled? Never heard that.

14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #14 Jason Crandall, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Nobody knows for sure but it’s been a lot. Like I said...... the proof is in how many are for sale.

Also, read the CS market thread from page 1 and you’ll get a good sense of how many are gone. Add in the CS that have been wrecked/storied and yes I’d say less than half Originally built are original examples.

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Not a Ferrari owner, but a CS is a bucket list car ...

Good luck OP.

MDS

16. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I really don't think you could go wrong with either. While the CS doesn't have as much power, it allows you to use all of it on the road.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- Afraid not. 1288 CS models were built and Ferrari quotes 499 for the 16M. There are always more of a newer model on the market than older ones, all other factors being equal.

plastique999, imahorse and Skidkid like this.
  18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

CS

Michael B and MrRdStr like this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just watch these 2 vids:

Wanna feel young again??Get the Scud and go balls out. The speed, the sound, the shifts. The CS is gorgeous though.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If $$$ is somewhat of a factor, why are you looking at a 16m instead of a Scud? The Scud is a no brainer for value.

21. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    CS.

I just love them. Looks, sound, clunky shifts, all of it.... perfection.

Speed is over, cars went too far. A Tesla will beat all of them. Now, it’s about rawness and the balls to offer a car like the CS for sale on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree the CS is perfection.

As to a Tesla beating everything, not so much. Plenty of non-appliance cars will grease a Tesla.

I think Jason is referring to the production numbers for US cars - 296 in total.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think you're not reading my posts.

24. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm referring to the number of CS's that have been wrecked and totaled. Yes, 12XX built. Many many are no longer in existence.

Oengus likes this.
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- Do you have any real numbers on that or is it just a feeling? I read your posts, just did not believe them without hard numbers. With 2.5 times as much CS production as 16M production, no way enough have been wrecked to even up the totals.

Skidkid likes this.