F355 Market | Page 139 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The spider is a great car and I have talked about it’s unique and awesome attributes many times. I have one that I will never get rid of.

Not sure about more valuable. Possible, top down 355 is like nothing else.

jjtjr likes this.
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Not much special about a standard 430 in this day and age unless it is a manual or factory equipped with rare goodies... but you won’t find those for $100k. 991.1 GT3’s are about $100k now. A similar and better experience. Much more performance and arguably better looking. I see no reason for a standard run of the mill 430 unless you just like collecting Ferraris.

A gated 355 with a proper soundtrack ... that’s a unique experience in this day and age. If 355s didn’t have engine out service intervals, header issues, and sticky issues... it would be seen significantly more favorable in the market. Most people don’t want to worry about what they drive. I have a few friends with $100k cash on hand and want to get into a 355. They’ve never owned a Ferrari. I simply tell them, “no.”

Owning a 355 is about passion and unfortunately, it is usually a “Ferrari” guy that gets it. Outside of that, it makes very little sense.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Wholeheartedly agree with ur sentiment on 355 and wholeheartedly disagree with ur sentiment regarding a regular 430 f1.

6. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Not surprising, '98 Grigio spiders are the best 355s, from what I read. ;) With the buyer's premium that puts the buyer's out of pocket at what - $110k?

Clear turn signals would have brought the bidding up another $5k I bet. :D

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    that’s because you like collecting Ferraris :).

8. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  9. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I used to dislike the very site of “the jelly bean era” cars. I wouldn’t buy one but they are infinitely more beautiful than the Porsche (and others) and stretched the imagination of the time. Personally, a nicely, tastefully and subtlety customized 430 can be one sexy car. I respectfully disagree with your “run of the mill 430” comments.

However I frigging love my 355s. I will always have em.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ha fair enough but for 100k there isn’t a better car in the 8cyl camp!

11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    f430 is a 90/100k car now also

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I was referring to the 430

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    best choice for the money 430

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Don’t sell urs;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i think it is did not advertise told a friend and he told another friend he came over and he fell in love with the car especially with the factory carbon racing seats .if he does not buy than i willprobably keep her theres nothing out there to match it for the price .will keep you posted

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Are there any “unicorn” 355s on the market now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The number of highly optioned 355s on the market has dwindled to almost zero. I search key markets around the world regularly and I can only think of maybe 2 or 3 cars that have carbon seats that are for sale. 1 is in Italy and it is blue on tan I believe F1. The other one or two are in Japan.

All are asking north of $100k USD and none are super low mileage, but not terrible either.

18. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I don’t agree with anything that you said up there.

They built almost 12,000 of these things.

Every so often you see a sub 10K car come up and even if you allocated a 10% figure to cars that have been relegated to collections where the car would never see daylight. That is a reasonable #.

The sultan of Brunei has like 5 of these things alone.

The 355 is one of THE must have Ferrari’s in a collection. It is a significant car though old and slow by today’s standards, still evokes the red mist emotion true to Ferrari enthusiasts and owners alike.

Go to cars.com. There is probably 10 sub 10K mile cars on there right now.

If I were to make an educated guess, I would say of the roughly 12k built, 3-4000 have been wrecked or parted.
    4000 have been abused and or neglected or have stories, fixed accidents or otherwise in subpar condition requiring an overhaul.
    2000 are well cared for by conscientious owners with limited ownership history an 2000 are hidden away.

Just my opinion, but I have watched the 355 market observed all of the cars and even though I am an owner and a rabid enthusiast, hardly any car pulls my heart strings as strongly as the 355.

19. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just ran Cars.com. There are 9 cars in and around the 10K mark. Some under some over.
    Now go to EBay,Clist, Mobile.de, Goodings, Piston heads, Moore’s, autotrader and a zillion other sites and I bet you come up with 100 “unicorns.”

There are tons of nice cars out there. Happily, it looks like prices are increasing.

And spiders look to be deservedly getting their due.

20. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Those are all spiders.

tres55 likes this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    3 Bs on car gurus under 10k miles. One is a challenge car. But in time Spider will be at the top of the heap. The GTB thing is purely an American thing.

22. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    For me I like the Spider Look Better & with a Tubi having the Top Down is the optimal way to experience the Best Sounding Engine in many Opinions.

I have a 355 & 430, but also a 64 Corvette & 68 Corvette with a recently sold C7 with my C8 on order, so just a Car Guy & not necessarily a "Ferrari" guy. Since you said "arguably" I will. The 430 I think is a Beautiful car, the Porsche on the other hand I think is Ugly AF because of those damn VW Bug Headlights... I'll take my C8 over a 911. But thats me & my Tastes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 and carnutdallas like this.
  23. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    To some of us, spiders are unicorns.

Mmckee and Sami like this.
  24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    How many of those are highly optioned?

I'm on the hunt for a manual GTB with carbon seats, factory shields, and anything else is a bonus (carbon bits etc.)

That's what I meant.

25. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Think about it for a minute What were the full load factory options back then?
    Three- two choice of Seats, caliber paint, and shields.

What are the options today?
    20. + tailor made.

Good luck with your search, there are some beauties out there.

Personally, I would either buy a sub 10 car and maintain it, or buy a 30-50k in good condition (but driven) and recondition things as I went along.
    There are a lot of great cars out there.