Ferrari ROMA | Page 79 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    The calculus changes in racing cars, there is less weight to move and gearing is designed to keep the engine in the maximum power range....which is what you are pointing out. That's not practical in a road car. Again, what we want is power, what we feel is torque.

2. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nope, what you feel is power (flywheel torque x RPM), translated into torque on the driven wheels, when multiplied by the drivetrain.

4. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I like the sketch better than the finished product.

Mike

5. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    ".... torque on the driven wheels, ....."

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yeah, but it would have to be about nine feet wide to look like that. :)

perrinnation likes this.
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    For me a great teacher has always been someone that is gifted with the art of explaining even the most difficult of the subjects just by using simple words and examples that anyone can understand. That's what this guy in the video has done while explaining what's Torque and Power and what are their differences.

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and REALZEUS like this.
  8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Perhaps the sentence was meant to be:
    "Power is what everyone thinks they want, torque is what they need...."

The reasoning behind this is that Torque and Power go hand in hand (Torque x Revs = Power). If you have Torque without revs, the car is not moving and you don't feel anything. Then again you are not going to get any Power without Torque, but in the end, Power is what moves you.

However, if we consider this from the point that which is more important: maximum Power or maximum Torque? We could conclude that in normal driving we need maximum Torque (= mid range Power) more than maximum Power.

vcappp, Bundy, llk and 1 other person like this.
  9. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    Hah! Yeah, you make a great point! My family was in the scrap business and many years ago we had trucks powered by the wonderful Detroit Diesel 8V71. They made zillions of tourques, and as you point out, you didn't necessarily feel the beasts moving....to further make your point, they ran through 5X4 transmissions. Indeed, you are correct sir!! Should we meet, drinks are on me!

inox likes this.
  10. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The drawings make it very clear that they "stole" the design from the Maserati Alfieri study...

vcappp likes this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t see the resemblance with the Maserati either, apart from the inevitable similarities caused by a similar mechanical distribution, same "soft GT" product philosophy and close historical heritage.

Personally I like the Maserati better.

perrinnation and isot like this.
  12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Look to the real Alfieri study and compare it with the real Roma. Very similar overal lines. Front section of the Roma is influenced by Aston Martin and rear is somewhat Porsche-like!

vcappp likes this.
  13. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Or simply a test mule for Roma headlights?

Would be a nice improvement for Portofino though...

14. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Could also be the Portofino facelift, as the Portofino is now almost 4 years old.

Both Portofino and Roma have similar vocations (compared to Lusso or 812), it seems logical that both of them get similar details on the design.

15. Superfans

Superfans Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Superfans
    Interesting, it seems unusual for Ferrari to simply facelift their cars?

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Testarossa - 512TR -F512M
    Mondial - Mondial 3.2 - Mondial T
    550 -575M
    308-328

All of those while they featured engineering changes to a greater or lesser degree were primarily facelifts.

While it is presented as a new model the F8tributo is a very heavy facelift of the 488 which is in turn a facelift and reengined 458.

I would not be surprised if a facelift of the Portofino also brought a new smaller more emissions friendly engine.

isot and G. Pepper like this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    And 456, 456M; 360, 430; 458, 488, F8. It's a go-to strategy for Ferrari. There are many more examples. 400, 412i, for example. Someone should do a complete list.

Daytonafan and isot like this.
  18. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Any picture of someone sitting in the rear seats? It is supposed to have more leg room than Portofino.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's a huge stretch! Apart from the 456s, the rest were new models, based on the same basic architecture. A facelift is what they did with the 456M.

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If they're on the same platform, it's an update to me. The more radical ones would be with different engines, like the 360/430 and 458/488, but the platforms and glass are the same.

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Most cars (not just Ferraris) are not on a new platform. Platforms are usually shared amongst 2-3 generations. They are not facelifts though; different engines, set up, technology, performance etc. The 456 was a good example of a facelift.

456-boy likes this.