Said goodbye to my F12 after 4.5 years | FerrariChat

Said goodbye to my F12 after 4.5 years

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by italiafan, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #1 italiafan, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

....and said hello to this 2019 812SF.
    What a car!
    I loved my F12 dearly, but after driving the 812 I had to admit there was no comparison, the 812 is epic. There is a great YouTube video by The CarGuys about the 812, and does it ring true.
    So planted, so sure footed, drives like a tighter smaller car than the F12.
    Some additional pix over at my friend’s house as well.
    I intend to dark tint the windows to further accentuate the Red-Black theme.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Appropriate replacement.

of2worlds, italiafan and Boomhauer like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Congrats!

italiafan likes this.
  4. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Very nice!

italiafan likes this.
  5. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Very nice.... Congrats... I replaced my FF w a 2020 812SF.... WHAT AN AMAZING CAR

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Looks stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

italiafan likes this.
  7. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I felt the same way when I went from F12 to 812. Love the F12 and love the 812 even more.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    812 is epic- congratulations! Wait until you've broken it in! You'll be shocked!

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats

italiafan likes this.
  10. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    how long does it take to break in :) mine is 600km, been driving it for 3 weeks now, when I drive 812 SF every day and went to drive my Lusso T , i am like wow what a big difference, I was already so impressed moving from Panamera to Lusso T its like huge difference in terms of handling and responsiveness, and when 812 arrive my mind blown away that it can even get better handling, agility and that linear climb etc, just awesome :)

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks all!
    The manual says avoid >5000 rpm until ~620 miles (1000 km).
    There have been dozens of threads on this but my take is that it is a very “loose” recommendation.
    Some engines, and all cars are run in Maranello.
    Furthermore, “1000 km” is far too obvious a number to have any scientific or engineering gravitas behind it. :)

12. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    wow i thought that infor 5000 rpm and 1000 km i heard since i was a kid 35 years ago with Honda brand first time i heard, but i have not been gnetle since 1km been doing 8500 rpm etc haha, however i will be gntle the next 500 km just to be sure, this 812 is a keeper for a long time, will take care :)

Shamsta likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don’t think you have to worry.
    My advice (common sense):
    1. Always make sure OIL temp > 150F before going over 4000rpm.
    2. Avoid short trips during break-in.
    3. Always turn off HELE during break-in (mine will always be turned off no matter the miles).
    4. If run hard let cool down with “soft” driving, higher gears and lower revs for last 1-2 miles before getting home.

14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Actually all engines are run on the dyno for about half an hour. They reach their max RPM and their performance is verified. If they don't produce the quoted numbers they don't go into the car. That said, it is not a proper bedding in, but the engine is maxed out the moment it is born.

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also think some of the break in is for the tires, the diff, gearbox, and for you to learn the car. Also avoid sitting at constant revs (like on the highway). All I can say is I had a proper insane drive on some back roads last week when we had a bit of warm temps and the road was entirely clear. My goodness.... the 812 is astonishing!

16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Congrats!!! Nothing like being in your new car and getting to go through the break in phase (whatever it may be). The wait will be worth it I bet, by all accounts the best part of the car isn't photographed :)

italiafan and Mike Chawla like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is very much the case. Engine is pretty much ready. Getting gears to mesh, seals to seat and all the rest of it, is more important. But as have been said before, it's a bit of an odd one, and personally, I read very little into it. Seeing that Ferrari has not changed this in decades, I cannot really see it as anything but a relic of an old idea. Fact is that Ferrari needs to make sure these engines and cars can take a beating, and they don't know who gets behind the wheel. And don't forget how many customer cars have been taken for a proper flogging on Fiorano just out of the box.

There's of course the last bit that is Ferraris attempt of not getting new owners into trouble by making sure they get to know their new car before they open it up.

If I may be a bit blunt? I call B.S on it.

Thecadster, italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you're right- but I also think for common sense reasons, if you will actually keep and drive the car for some time, getting to the break in mileage is really not a problem and gives you the chance to learn the car a little bit- always a sensible thing to do. Also, I think its not such a bad idea incase a problem develops, they won't argue with you that you didn't adhere to the break in procedure and I am certain they can verify how the car is driven..

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very true, all valid points. I think my thing is simply to just go out and get to know the car, then it sort of comes on its own so to speak. Getting in a new 812 for example, and flooring it after 10 mins, is just dumb. There's a lot of nice driving to be done and a lot to learn by spending time getting to know the car.

Maybe both customers and Ferrari would be better off if they made a more detailed description of why and for what reason etc.

Thecadster, wrs and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Lets face it, most people never read the owners manual - they just drive baby! :)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This.

I bought my 488 with 100 miles on it and I was breaking 5000 rpm the first drive. I have 4500 on it now and it runs fantastic. Same for my Cali T HS but it was delivery miles since I was first owner. The 488 had a straw buyer but it was basically a completely new car. Don't treat them badly but these cars are designed to be run hard and they do it well. Having said that, I will definitely take time to learn the car since it will be different handling than the 488 or the Portofino or the Cali T HS.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    All valid points.
    I think by far the most important thing is to warm up the engine oil to > 150F before any revving over ~4000 rpm.
    I also make a point of also not driving aggressively until about 1-2 miles of driving (when cold) because of the transmission, differential and tires.
    Often I’ll leave it in auto mode and drive “like a normal citizen” until ~2 miles from home.
    Just seems to make sense to me to have a certain sympathy for the machinery, if you love and appreciate something I like to be “kind” to it. I think this is more true of high-performance vehicles with exacting tolerances, than say a Ford F-150.
    Having said that, once everything is warm the red-line is my friend! :D
    My 458 Spider has 34K miles on it, many of those very aggressive driving (after appropriate warm up), and it runs perfectly, I’d say as well as a new Toyota.

of2worlds, sampelligrino, wrs and 2 others like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Certainly...but I look forward to reading the owners manual cover to cover when getting a new car...sit there in the evening with a glass of wine savoring it. Never gets old to me.
    I am also one of the few boaters that sat down and read Chapman’s cover to cover taking notes when I started getting into serious sailing.
    I’m not a good example though, because I also bought an emergency beacon signal and warming blankets if stranded in the sailboat...for a guy who sails in Tampa Bay when it is usually > 80 F and 9 ft of water within sight of the land in all directions...lol! I joke with passengers not to worry that if boat sank to just stand on deck and won’t get feet wet, drink beer until another boat comes by.

24. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I do the same thing with the owners manual. I really enjoy it. I would love to get into boating, but my friends who are tell me its even more crazy than cars! :)