Said goodbye to my F12 after 4.5 years | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Said goodbye to my F12 after 4.5 years

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by italiafan, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I always have done this but to be honest the F12 manual was too long and detailed to get through. A very boring read. As a result at least half of the switches, controls and menu options I've no idea how to use. Never touched the overhead buttons and never even set the radio favorites. This car is so captivating I just don't care. If I need help best to post the question here.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol, I'm weird. I like reading Ferrari owners manuals:D I think it's great getting in a new car and actually know what you can do with things:) How many even know their cameras have more than one view setting?;)

Speak of the devil, I can't get on MyFerrari. Anyone care to throw a Pista Spider pdf manual this way?:)

George Vosburgh and of2worlds like this.
  3. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    The one thing i find annoying about my F12 is its steering 'darty-ness' on poorer than average road surfaces. Is this noticbley better in the 812 or much the same ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Night and day difference in steering feel. The 812 steering is still fast, but much better weighted which makes the car feel a lot more precise and planted. Also, if you run the PZeros they will add to the tramlining as well.

of2worlds and GeeDubb like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Significantly improved.

Il Co-Pilota and GeeDubb like this.
  6. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    Yes mine has the pirellis, so will try michelins next. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Congrats...everyone seems to agree the 812 is an improvement but I still like the looks of the F12 better personally...I plan to add a GTS to my F12

colonels, mclaren slr and of2worlds like this.
  8. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I thought the F12 looked better when I owned an F12. But owning an 812 grows on you.

I'm running the Michelins now. They feel fine but on the track didn't seem any better than the Pirellis.

italiafan, Mike Chawla and Thecadster like this.
  9. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    812 is something :) I really like Michelin but i cannot find size 315/35/20 for the PS4 Michelin, which size did you change to?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Pirellis are quicker around a track. People here tend to prefer the Michelins because they work better when cold, but they don't work as well as the Pirellis under pressure and at high temperatures.

11. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I'm using the Super Sports not the PS4. As you said, it wasn't available in the right size. I'll probably switch back to the P's after this set.

12. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Yeah, I expected that the Michelins would feel better on the track, but they seem the same or maybe even a little worse. I didn't do back to back timings or anything, it was more just the feel of the car. Sport Cup 2's would be amazing I think (I run those on other cars).

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Michelins are worse on a track. I have compared them on track days, the Pirellis were always the faster tyres.

In my experience the PZ4s vs the PS4s have a) stiffer side walls (more direct steering feel - sharper turn in), stickier compound when warm, more durable behaviour lap after lap.

The same stands true comparing the Corsas vs the Cup 2s.

Many people on Fchat prefer the Michelins and I get it, the French tyres are friendlier when cold. I am one of those people who nurture their tyres for the first 5-10 miles and when everything is nice and warm... well, you get the picture... The Pirellis and the Bridgestones are much better at that.

14. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I attended the Corso Pilota course in May 2018 at COTA. It was the first course of the year and Ferrari brought 6 488’s and 4 812 S for us to drive. All of the cars were brand new from the factory and when I say new I mean new. The highest mileage car had 51 miles on the odometer. After the morning classroom session we went out to drive on the track. My first laps were in an 812 that had 39 miles on the odometer and the instructors expected us to push the cars. This type of “break in” doesn’t exactly match Ferrari’s manual.:)

Radu likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m surprised they’d use fresh tires for the track.

16. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    You should consider Bridgestone S007 , for me it s perfect, great grip on curves, very good steering feed back

17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    do you mean Michelin PS4s or PS4Ss? Their naming structure is stupid. The S is a totally different tyre to the PS4. I have seen F Club members get confused with PS4 tyres on special series cars. PS4 is a family car tyre, PS4S successor to MPSS. Interesting what you say about Pirellis.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I mean PS4S vs the PZ4s.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They might have been heat cycled before being put on the cars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #45 Frank_C, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2020

I agree. That's nonsense. The days of MB chicken grease 6 oil changes to break in the engine are gone.

I popped my 812's cherry at Daytona. I picked up the car on a tuesday, literally took a right hand turn out of the dealership, drove down the highway, took a right hand turn on my road, a left hand turn into my driveway and put it on the trailer. I did short shift most of the time but I did let 'er rip a time or two. Heads above the F12 on the track. I've said the F12 can almost keep up with a GT3 RS. That was really a stretch. The 812 can almost keep up. The rws gives the car a happy rear, which feels nice. In a month I'll take the 812 to COTA and be able to do a real comparison with my old F12 and my dot 1 RS.

I also broke in my RS on the track, which has 2500 track miles (out of 3000).

Gotta love paper plates on the track.....just like the RS

Attached Files:

Makuono and Thecadster like this.