Portofino engine control system failure | FerrariChat

Portofino engine control system failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lfc-Q8, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    This message popped out 2 days ago, I could use the car but the performance was drastically reduced. I took it to the dealer and they said that they are waiting for a response from ferrari Italy to ether send a software update or send the cats to Italy to get them fixed.
    The process of sending them to Italy would take a week. As the issue is with the sensor in the catalytic converters. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    From my experience the sensor is just an O2 sensor which is easily replaced. They should not be permanently fixed in place with the cats. If one or more sensors are suspect you clear the code, replace the suspect sensor(s) and then drive the car to test it. There is no point in sending the cats to Italy. If the cats are bad you replace them and you can go on your way. What your dealer and Ferrari do with the “bad” cats is their own business and should not force you to wait, although they would be wise to figure out why the cats went bad.

When my cats died in my old out of warranty BMW many many years ago, my M5 trained mechanic simply tested the exhaust gases at points in the exhaust path before and after the cats to determine how degraded they were. Simple. He gave me a choice of new factory cats vs used but still good cats vs aftermarket. The car was fixed by the next day.

Not sure why a software update would affect the cats or sensors in your car. If it does then what about all the other Portofinos?

lfc-Q8 likes this.
  3. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    what you are saying makes total sense, but my dealer yesterday conformed that the defective part will be sent to italy.
    maybe they don`t have the part or they were instructed by ferrari italy to do so. as the first option of the software upgrade wont solve the problem.
    as you can see on my odometer my car has less than 7000km on it which is weird that the cats will go with such low mileage.
    and i`m not aware that this problem happened to other guys with portos on this forum, i saw it on cali`s only.

4. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    a quick update from my dealer: they will send the silencer to italy as they have an ecu on them that controls the valves, and the ecu on the silencers needs a firmware update and it can only be done in the factory.
    its a common issue on portofinos as he claims.

5. NGom

NGom Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    UK and France
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Gomersall
    I had exactly that error on my Portofino about 6 weeks after delivery. The first time I tried a hard acceleration from a rolling start and after a second I lost most of the power and engine went into limp home mode. Pulled over and restarted the engine and all was well but I kept on getting the error message every time I started the car. Car went into dealer a couple of weeks later. They had it for a couple of weeks and an engineer came to the UK from the factory and replaced an earth strap! All has been well for the last year and about 3,000 miles.

daytona355 and lfc-Q8 like this.
  6. Ira messing

Ira messing Rookie

May 4, 2019
    San Diego / Cincinnati Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ira messing
    This is a common software problem associated with the dampers on the exhaust system. I had the same problem
    Myself. Let your dealer know that Ferrari tech support in New Jersey can fix the problem without sending a
    Ferrari tech support in New Jersey has the fix. Don’t let the dealer send anything to Italy. It’s a software glitch in the dampers module that controls the dampers. I experienced the sMe problem and the dealer confirmed it’s happened to almost all of the early to
    Kid year manufactured cars

tomc, daytona355 and lfc-Q8 like this.
  7. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    Thats the exact issue i have, my dealer called them flaps but i guess dampers are more accurate.
    this would be great, its just my dealer and car are located in the middle east (Kuwait) and they are not allowed or maybe they don't have the capability to fix it in house. thanks

daytona355 likes this.
  8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I love this forum, better knowledge than the dealers themselves most of the time! Well done

BLAMPEE and lfc-Q8 like this.
  9. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I had this problem with my Portofino around Thanksgiving, brought it in to my dealer Wide World Ferrari in NY and they said I was the 2nd Portofino they have seen with the problem and Ferrari HQ in NJ had the fix and they would get it done ASAP. I had the car back quickly and have not had another issue.

daytona355 and lfc-Q8 like this.
  10. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    latest update: 3 damber / silencer ecu`s arrived back from italy for 3 portofino`s with the same problem.
    2 left the dealer working fine, but my car still have the same issue.
    dealer was instructed by ferrari in italy to swap my silencers, so now i`m waiting for them to arrive. :(

11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    you guys with these issues need to check the MANIFOLD FLAPS! See my thread on it- My tech tracked down wha the exact issue was and fixed it, you don't need to even take the manifold out (at least in my 458) again go see my thread and 2nd CHECK THE CODES ON SIMPLE OBD before even taking to the dealer or ask them for exact codes

12. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    understood but i don`t want to fiddle with the car as its covered by warranty.
    thanks

13. CarmenSr

CarmenSr Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Carmen J. Minni, Sr.
    Feb 3-12/20 Portofino would not crank or start, multiple faults in NCM related to Exhaust Pressure Control and Comm. Exhaust Silencers sent to Ferrari NA. reprogramming. Picked it up working. Sept. 3 - 16 would not crank or start on Interstate Exit. Dealer test unable to verify concerns. Sept 22/20 will not crank or start, now at dealer

14. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    that sucks, my dealer replaced the silencers and it has the same issue after programing.