NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 11 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My take totally NOT interested, Hybrid NEVER , and add V6 to the equation NOPE.

boobernackle likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's a fair wish. I wish for an F8 Spider with an 812 engine in it, but we can dream, can't we?:) I'm a simple man, I can compromise, the 812 GTS will do:)

On a more serious note though. I highly doubt that is what we will see. After seeing the Roma and where Ferrari is going with the lover level stuff, there's no telling what their V6 plans are. Will the LB be a mid engined Ferrari for those whom are afraid to drive a proper Ferrari and don't want to be seen in a Ferrari? That was apparently the main goals for the Roma, so why not the LB V6? I know I might be a bit of a grump here, but right now I think the Roma has thrown everything into a tailspin and the outcome is yet to be seen.

I actually like the SF90 and with a bit of luck I might even be enjoying a relatives SF90 before the year is out. Looks like production is coming together with Corsa Pilota and all, so fingers crossed.

As for the LB. They need to pull off such an immense mirachle to make it as attractive as the Pista, 812 GTS and SF90. Even despite the lackluster sound of the F8, I suspect that will be a lot more appealing to me.

ChrisDiRe and sampelligrino like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Disagreement is a fine thing and you make a valid point Scott. I think it's hard to say exactly how it will play out.

Ferrari is of course hoping to move everyone over from the 488/F8 and jump the band wagon. But the question is, whether this will happen or not. I would not be one bit surprised if a lot of current V8 owners kept their cars and did not exchange for a V6. Depending on price point, we might see a new group of owners coming from 911's, BMW M cars, Audi R8 etc. and step up as it's now attainable. Then the current V8 owners might sit this one out and then perhaps join on the LB V6 successor once things are more sorted - or perhaps some will get into used SF90's once they emerge. The latter would of course be dependant on the SF90 depreciating significantly despite being low volume and fairly sought after.

4. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Me too, I don't expect anything form F. Manzoni ! Was talking with a very talented designer yesterday (not a car designer but it is ok!!) about the latest designs coming from Manzoni! , he looked at me in a terrible way:confused: and then just laughed a lot and couldn't say anything!:D:D

SVR likes this.
  5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I can’t remember who it was exactly that said it but it was a reliable source on here that stated that Ferrari insiders/employees are mostly excited by LB, so that’s a good sign. In terms of design I go back and forth on SF90, some days I love it others I hate it, the touch interface interior is definitely a negative imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVR and Astrid.Didier like this.
  6. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #256 Astrid.Didier, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    I can be optimistic sometimes, let's be optimistic and wish they can bring back all the old creativity and uniqueness they missed with their latest TWO car designs! Moreover let's also hope they won't copy another car manufacture's design language, and that would be almost more than perfect!

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

For the right money Ferrari will make you a car and will use any engine you wish as long as it is in production. So your dream of a V12 F8 can be granted but I guess you will need about 5 million my dealer says.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Clapton wanted a V12 in his SP12 EC, but was turned town. The whole platform has to be a match (i.e. based on an existing car, like the Monzas).

F2003-GA likes this.
  9. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    According to the official presentations the new modular platform is able to be paired with V6, V8 and V12 engines. So who knows what is possible in future...

jpalmito and of2worlds like this.
  10. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    IMHO the V6 will be a direct replacement of current V8 and will slot in between the Roma and SF90. It might be slightly below the F8 in base price but after all is said and done (i.e. options) by not much if at all. Roma is the entry level Ferrari so no way will V6 be going alongside or below it. I expect the power output to be higher than F8. This is NOT the new Dino!

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Last i heard LB is expected to be at least Pista level

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I am quite well aware that it is NOT a Dino, and you do NOT need to use uppercase letters for me to understand!

I am well aware that it is the F8 replacement, but that does not change the fact that price wise, it might sit lower. No, it will not sit as low as the Maserati Roma, but probably not much above either. Time will tell.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    In what way Pista level? Price, performance, weight etc? I highly doubt it will be on the same level as the Pista as far as performance.

I think the main focus for the new car will be good value, with a lot of focus on the new technology. I suspect that it will slot in between the 488 and F8 performance wise. While I'm sure they could take it to the same level as the Pista, that would also mean making the little V6 Ferrari gets awfully close to the mighty LaF. Not sure Ferrari likes that idea. So Fiorano times in the 1:22.0-1:22.5 realm is my guess.

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #264 Ferrari 308 GTB, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Suggesting a minimum total of 800 Hp and pricing around or higher than Pista. Slot in between Pista /SF 90 performance.

15. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Ferrari infringing upon Porsche territory with this car just as they did to Aston with the Roma. As long as they don’t make too many, I suppose they won’t necessarily dilute that brand that much (not sure how I feel about this aspect). However, from a “cool” perspective, I’m looking forward to learning more about the baby Ferrari. If it’s a simplified, driver focused car with no frills and a manual option, there may be a solid market.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think it will be the opposite of that. It will full of gadgetry like the SF90, a new electronic interior like the Roma, and come in DCT only. It would take a lot of work for Ferrari to get back into the manual game, never mind doing it in a hybrid. Not a chance.

Solid State likes this.
  17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I believe it has been mentioned earlier in this thread that this car is a direct replacement of the F8 so it will be better than F8 in performance. The price will also be in the F8 ballpark (might be marginally lower due to the SF90 offsetting the V6 price). IMHO, this car will be many things but it will not be good value in the way you describe it. Also the car was named little brother (as a cheeky hint by a very well informed poster) in relation to big brother which has now been released as SF90Stradale. It's not literally a little Ferrari in terms of size/weight, performance or price. As stated very clearly in multiple investor days, Ferrari's strategy is to market itself as a high luxury brand (such as Louis Vuitton) and it is going to price its products accordingly. Offering good value is no more on the cards.
    This is my take based on all that I have read on this thread combined with Ferrari's presentations.

SVR and Senna1994 like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm well aware that the name simply relates to the Big Brother name of the SF90 and has nothing to do with the cars size, power, name or anything else.
    My point is that there are speculations that the V6, LB or what ever we call it, will be a bit cheaper than the F8. Basically the mid engined segment will be split into something that is more expensive than what it used to be, and a segment that is a bit cheaper. I have my sources of which some are very much in the know, and while they are most certainly keeping their lips tight, I am also told that I'm not entirely off.

Time will tell.

Senna1994 and [gTr] like this.
  19. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would be very happy if you are correct and LB turns out to be a cheaper car :)

20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I would love to have a conversation with your ‘very talented designer’ (non car designer),friend regarding Mr. Manzoni’s latest designs. Maybe between his laughter and loss for words he might show us what he might do as Ferrari’s Chief Designer.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    With all due respect, and I'll try to keep this as sedate as I can.
    I'm stunned. I'm absolutely dumbfounded of the level of arrogance and ignorance in that statement.
    You may not be a fan of the Manzoni design, despite your earlier open affinity for the Roma, but that comment is just on its own level of snobbery. I'm sure you and Brian L could have many interesting debates on grand designs and the perfection that is the FF, seen with an artists eye above those of us mere mortals.

Your designer friend whom is not a car designer, has exactly what knowledge on what Manzoni is capable of? If you as a lay person want to know what to expect from Manzoni, all you can do is look at the cars he has designed. Being it the Golf Mk VII or the Lusso, the TdF, the Speciale, the Roma, the SF90 or what ever - few of us are qualified to have a proper bearing on what will come from him. We have an idea about his style and direction, but not much else. Your friend may be a great designer of clothes, kitchen appliances, a home decorator or a designer of subway train stations, but he/she is not a car designer and not trained as a such. It is incredibly arrogant, snobbish and ignorant to act in such a way. I am 100% sure this person would not voice his/her opinion like that was he/she stood in front of Manzoni himself.

stavura, Pis7a2020, mofatmi9 and 10 others like this.
  22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100%

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Took me a couple minutes to figure out why I was confused about the direction the thread took.
    Ignore is a great feature.

stavura likes this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As has been known for a long time now, LB will replace the F8 and be a continuation of that line at a similar price point. As such, it will have superior performance, because that's what Ferrari does. If they didn't, there would be no interest. I think the LB will do fine for first time buyers, except it may depreciate quite severely, because us old timers are not really interested in hybrid V6 turbos. Many examples of that sentiment in this thread. Could be a disaster on the used market, but only time will tell.

The most recent test mule does not look anywhere near completion, by the way. Looks like much work is yet to be done.

MANDALAY, SVR and jm2 like this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The way I was told it would be the Roma entry level to Ferrari.

F8 will be replaced with LB at slightly higher price. Most movement will be from first time Ferrari buyers > 50%.

There wont be as many trade ins of F8's for LB as there was/is 488 GTB's for the F8 / PISTA.

V8's will hold pricing and actually go up.

G. Pepper likes this.