Passion of a Lifetime: A Gooding & Co Auction | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Passion of a Lifetime: A Gooding & Co Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by thepinkumbrella, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Hubert Fabri collection
    16 cars
    no Ferrari

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  2. 3COL

3COL Karting

Jun 12, 2017
    Hubert Fabri - will be a great offering

3. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Collection of Hubert Fabri from Gstaad, just been announced.
    Did a rally tour organized by our mutual friend Eric P more than 10 years ago and he came with an Autobianchi Bianchina convertible. I was supposed to be his co- driver. So I suggested we take instead my car, the ex Peter Baumberger 275 GTB/4, and he became my co-driver.
    Very nice gentleman with interesting conversation. And eclectic taste!

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  5. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #31 Nembo1777, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Here is the online catalog: the Dembiermont dry sump Miura SV is in my view possibly the most desirable Miura. Met Dembiermont in 2007 at his home in Neuilly sur Seine near Paris and he told me all about his adventures in it:)

Met Fabri at Nurburgring Oldtimer GP 2009, interesting character. I saw him have an almighty shunt a year or two later at the Goodwood Revival in an Aston Grand prix car, he was not really hurt too badly but I think he retired after that.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicles/?url=1&venues=XX&auction_years=XX&countries=XX&categories=XX&makes=XX&models=XX&est_low=0&est_high=10000000&model_year_first=1884&model_year_last=2020&reserve=&estreq=no&perpage=48&showpage=1&timeline=upcoming&loggedin=&time=1579715227

375+ and readplays like this.
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Miura SV 4878 has the dry sump but not a split sump.

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I'll take a dry sump over a split sump any day. He requested the dry sump because he was getting a lot of oil starvation on twisty roads: he was a very fast driver. He had to insist a lot but then he was one who was used to get what he wanted. They had not done one before for customers.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    According to Kidston's www.miuraregister.com the cylinder block is from the original Jota, and with SV heads, but the heads are date stamped 1969, which is strange.

10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Fabri did have one of the finest Alfa Romeo Monza in existence but that was sold a few years ago. Still they will offer the Aston DB4GT Zagato and the unique ex. Wimille/ King Leopold Bugatti Type 57S/59. The later of which is worth a small kings ransom although probably not the same $$$$ as the Aston. The ex Bira Aston Ulster is also uber cool as was the super rare late 1930s Alfa flat 12 engine that he had made into a coffee table.

readplays likes this.
  11. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    That type 59! Oh.My.God

readplays and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  12. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    While not what one thinks of traditionally as a Type 59, as Gooding says, the most important racing Bugatti to ever be offered. History as both a works team Type 59 and Wimille's 1937 entry for the new sportscar formula the ACF ran because they were being spanked by the silver arrows. And kept totally original.

Does anyone know if it will be just the Fabri collection on offer or will Gooding also offer other select consignments? Would be a boutique sale akin to an upper class art auction to just run the Fabri collection and uber cool but who could blame Gooding for padding the sale with some additional lots.

readplays and ginge82 like this.
  13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Miura SV 4878.
    Surprisingly Dembiermont didn't specify the air conditioning.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well maybe because he was from northern France where weather is similar to the UK's...

15. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The Type 59 is in a class by itself.
    I was told that when Tony wanted it Bob took 100 Ferraris in trade.
    I have no idea where it will end up on price and we may be a couple years past peak pricing- but to my mind this car is what I think of when people use the phrase, 'priceless'.

ginge82 and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  16. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Dave, some 14 years ago in 2005, Bonhams sold the first of the four surviving Type 59 GPs for circa $2 million. #59-121 had killed one or two of its owners and lost some of its originality. To provide a counterpoint this was roughly half what top flight Duesy's were fetching and a quarter a GTO. Duesys havent changed in value while GTOs have risen 500-700% So $15 - 20 million would sound about right. Maybe more.

readplays likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what please is the difference between dry sump and split sump?

I know wet sump and dry sump, but never heard about a split sump.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #44 miurasv, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Split sump refers to the sump/engine oil being separated from the gearbox oil. Only the last 96 of around a total of 150 Miura SVs built were made with the very desirable split sump. All previous Miuras are single sump, and the gearbox shares the oil with the engine. The worry is that when you grind the gears, or from just general gearbox wear, fragments of metal end up in the engine causing damage.

Nembo1777, pdxjim488 and turbo-joe like this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you steven for this explanation.
    so same as the old mini cooper - they had engine- and gearboxoil the same.

readplays and miurasv like this.
  20. ERA

ERA Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    I believe Hubert Fabri still owns 3269GT (Ferrari 250 GT SWB Bertone) sold by Gooding & then by Talacrest.