348 - Using anti-seize compound | FerrariChat

348 Using anti-seize compound

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fguy, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    I will be installing new plugs using the recommended NGK DR8EIX part number; I have seen recommendations from several members to use anti-seize compound but also I understand these plugs have the compound already on them. Which is the correct way? Thank you for your input.

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great question! I've used anti-seiz on all spark plugs in the past, but that was 10+ years ago for a Ferrari. Hopefully someone who's more current will respond.

Interesting info from NGK (emphasis mine):

1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver- or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs

tonyswfla and Qavion like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I use nothing but NGK and they say don't use it. I have never, not once ever seen a Ferrari motor from the factory with anti seize. That includes back in the Champion Spark Plug days and later with NGK.

Given that, why do those guys know better than the combined engineering expertise of Ferrari and NGK?

Spark plug threads get damaged from boneheads, not lack of anti seize.

Beetle, BOKE and krazykarguy like this.
  4. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Agree Brian. Some people are just too strong. I have always put a dab of antiseize on plugs especially in Al heads to prevent galling. However, I am very careful with torque and typically just snug plugs tight. The only ones that have ever come loose were ones I forgot to tighten!

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Anti Seize scooching down to the electrode is always a fun day :)

6. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I am careful about who scooches my electrode :)

SoCal1 likes this.
  7. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Isn't that what a torque wrench is for?

I mean, I know it comes natural for some people and they just know how much to tighten without a torque wrench...but my inference was meant for people that like to gorilla tighten everything

8. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I was being nice. Some people just dont understand basic mechanics. A good friend of mine, with my help over the years, has improved his skills, but sometimes just doesn't think. Like the time he set the torque wrench in ft/lbs when the battery terminal spec was in inch/lbs! Big difference in torque between inches and feet! He was trying to do it right......

When I tighten a plug my hand doesn't go to the end of the drive but stays near the head feeling the washer crush, then a little more.

9. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    Thank you so much for the feedback. Now to decide what to do since the schools of thought are quite varied. Thanks again.

10. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    When opinions vary a lot it makes me think it isnt really an issue either way. Why do I put anti seize on a lot of stuff? Because my Dad did and it seemed to work.....not very scientific or based on any legit research. I do know I have felt some very dry threads removing old spark plugs that made my butt pucker and the new plug threads right in with a tiny amount of anti seize. Same with O2 sensors....they generally come precoated.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On cars with garbage aluminum heads maybe but the alloy Ferrari uses has never been an issue. If you feel a bad thread in a Ferrari head someone already F'd it up and that isn't what we are talking about here.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    From the sources with any bona fides (in this case Ferrari and NGK) there are no varied schools of thought. The choice is to chase wives tales or do it right.

13. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've never heard of anyone putting anti-seize on spark plugs. (I wasn't around back in the day) Maybe a very light coat of oil.
    Plug threads get damaged from cross threading or over tightening. That's about it. If an iron head with a steel bodied plug is exposed to water or salt/brine on a regular basis then one may need to find a way to prevent seizing but this is a very atypical.
    Anti-seize is messy and residue will thicken as it ages. Cleaning that out of a plug home on the next change is not fun.
    I think people over think things sometimes. I'm guilty of this myself.

I would not recommend anti-seize on plugs unless you have a very specific/unique problem that needs to be addressed. Not under normal use.
    I've changed hundreds of plugs and never had an issue will galling or otherwise unless the person before me cross threaded the plug or over tightened it.
    Very light coat of oil from the dipstick. Thats it.

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Some things were different back in the olden days. ;)

From Ford TSB 06-15-2 and TB-8607-B:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Oh, and remember this? Marketed as "Insures Removal of Spark Plugs".

So you can see why so many believe that anti-seize is necessary for spark plugs.

16. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Wow, I cant believe I never saw that. Maybe I did but it did not register.
    What year was that for TB from?

Maybe there are wide varieties of Anti-Seize.
    I've used the Aluminum, Graphite paste and that stuff is THICK and very messy.
    The copper stuff is similar in consistency.
    Very useful on exhaust parts in the Rust Belt North East.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It was from 2006. Ford had a big problem with the motors in their F150 pickups. Lots of plugs breaking off and needing major head-work as a result. A co-worker of mine suffered that breakage with his truck back then as well.

Here's some additional info:

https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/trouble-shooter-3-may-2008/

18. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a serious defect somewhere in the design/mfg process. Now they are looking for band aids to keep customers from losing their minds. That sucks for the people affected.

19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I had one of those fords and let the dealer change the plugs. I never thought I would let a dealer change spark plugs for me! Luckily all mine came out. Stupid design.

20. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ahh, that photo clears things up. The plug threads were not the problem. The clearance between the long part of the plug, beyond the threads, that protrudes into the head was the problem. Carbon buildup fills in the gap and causes a nice, tight, binding seal. Agreed, stupid design.