Sodium Valves | FerrariChat

Sodium Valves

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fitz, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Why would anyone rebuild with the original valves? The new technology in sodium valves is fantastic, but very expensive. Most of the folks I know that have rebuilt a 308 engine use steel valves, sometimes with a nail head shape over the slender taper of the originals.

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That’s just crazy! The main reason not to buy a 2 valve car is those sodium valves. To not replace them is unbelievable.

4. Fitz

Fitz Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Amelia Island
    Full Name:
    Frank
    There is no good reason NOT to buy an early carb 308 GTB, other than a lake of money!

5. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I miss my carbed GTB, but I don’t miss worrying that a valve would fail at redline.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Look also at the pictures #232 and #233 which show galled up cam journals on both intakes. The engine shows signs of some serious oil starvation event. I posted a comment saying that any bidder should know what they are looking at in those photos because I really don’t know how you “fix” that but the comment got flagged. I also was wondering what brand those new gaskets are, all they say is “asbestosfree”

It’s a real pretty car but the buyer should be aware of these things imo.

tomberlin and thorn like this.