CONCOURS CORRECT FASTENERS FOR THE DINO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CONCOURS CORRECT FASTENERS FOR THE DINO

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Oct 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Timo raises some excellent points. My research with Dino's on their correct fasteners shows a number of trends but also some big differences between the early L and M series cars and the E series cars (that include all the GTS and USA spec vehicles). Compound this with cars being serviced over many decades and general Italian supply inconsistencies and you can at best discuss a guide of what is correct. Other marques literally have published manuals where every nut and bolt can be deemed correct based on supplier records. Ferrari in the 70's is NOT that kind of car so I caution anyone to take the contents of this thread as gospel.

Rifledriver, TTR and TonyL like this.
  2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Very true and each person will have their own ideas thoughts etc which is why I initially said it will be a minefield. Common names in different countries don't always yield the same product either.

I don't profess to be a expert on this, I could only document what was on my car at the time and examined those items to re-affirm if they were original or not. Some on my car had been replaced by odd screws etc but once you look closely, it does become clear what is or not original.

Anyone know what is the correct screws for the front indicator lens - mine were just odd screws and believe they are chrome round head pozi

I am sure you are right on the last point as well, cars made in the seventies were not the best especially the build quality of Ferrari's

Best

Tony

TTR likes this.
  3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Well said Rob, I think the real answer is to get consistency in the fixings you use, odd fasteners will look out of place so if they all match then for me I would be content with the overall appearance.

the door cards are a classic case of screws being added to the base because the snap fixings break

Tony

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't think anyone would notice but that style of cup washer isn't correct from what I've seen. It should be more of a flatter dished washer.

synchro likes this.
  5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The parts manuals are an excellent start for figuring out fasteners, and many fasteners are still available from Maranello by part number.
    There is a parts manual for each model Dino, and several manuals cover different ranges of S/N for the E-series with most of the changes in production documented.
    If you're that concerned about judging then following the parts manual for your model/SN might be the way to go and it's supposedly what Enzo intended...

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you. Got any photos of those in the Dino?

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    See post #23 again because your cheeze head screws are correct (changed during production)
    I can drag up a photo if you really want to see the earlier round head screws

8. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    there is a difference between pozi drive and phillips - the star is different.
    I would be surprised if Ferrari used pozi drive back in that era.
    stand to be corrected.

9. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    aside from the fact that Scaglietti (246 and Daytona and others) almost never used phillips
    Also stand to be corrected

10. MarioJJ2

MarioJJ2 Rookie

Jun 5, 2021
    Tokyo Japan
    Full Name:
    Mario Inaba
    Dear everyone
    I am new to this forum and need your help!
    I own #3662 (apr. 1972 production US 246gt) since 1993 and now wish to change all the fasteners those were changed/replaced during last 50years maintenance to the original spec one.
    Seems to me, those fasteners pictured are incorrect.
    I tryed to check/inspect number of other Dino, Dino compendium and etc.,but can not find the right answer…
    I am very happy if you could provide me your knowledge and/or photos you have to help my work!

1. Backlight bracket (should be riveted?)
    2. Front grill mount (slotted head screw? Please advise the size, shape etc)
    3. Engine room light switch (should be riveted?)
    4. Rear bumper end (slotted head screw? Please advise the size, shape etc)
    5. Tail light cover panel(?) (design of slotted head screw(s) in the photo is correct?)
    6. Seat back panel(no photo) (should be riveted?)

thank you for your cooperation
    Mario
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    Is there anyone who can confirm what fasteners should be used to mount the reversing light bracket? Slotted pan head? Or were they riveted? It looks like no one responded to Mario! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. mccand

mccand Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Greg McCandless
    After searching a number of photos online, I have come to the conclusion that they were indeed riveted.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    '74 GTS, mine was fastened with copper pop rivets.

mccand likes this.
  14. MarioJJ2

MarioJJ2 Rookie

Jun 5, 2021
    Tokyo Japan
    Full Name:
    Mario Inaba
    mccand likes this.
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #40 Rifledriver, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    I agree 100%. I also have researched this topic for a few models and it is never a finished topic. For a model with as long a production life as Dino I would expect a number of fasteners to change over that period. Its good what you are doing but don't ever consider it it finished.

Do not ever trust any single source as correct, even a factory source. I know of errors in many factory books. Changes get made and books do not get updated. Also I know of other models where an item is disassembled for the cars predelivery inspection and the mechanic felt there was a better way to mount it. Just because it is one owner and that part has never been worked on is not a guarantee it is correct.

TTR and Nuvolari like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know of many cases where hardware or just the finish changed and the part number did not.

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    on a daytona, some bolts are labeled fiat while others are lobo for the same apppication.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And now Lobo is out of business.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Whilst I agree with previous posters regarding authenticity of certain fasteners on the 246 over its production run, there is a certainty that most fasteners used by Ferrari remained the same. This is my experience in detailing my car.

1. Backlight bracket (should be riveted?) YES BUT BLACK RIVETS OR PAINT THEM TO MATCH
    2. Front grill mount (slotted head screw? Please advise the size, shape etc) SLOTTED SHALLOW HEAD SELF TAPPING, UPPER FIXING ONLY
    3. Engine room light switch (should be riveted?) YES
    4. Rear bumper end (slotted head screw? Please advise the size, shape etc) BLACK PASS. PHILIPS ROUNDHEAD HEAD COUNERSUNK M6 FROM MEMORY
    5. Tail light cover panel(?) (design of slotted head screw(s) in the photo is correct?) LOOKS CORRECT BUT SHOULD BE BLACK PASS
    6. Seat back panel(no photo) (should be riveted?) YES AS 1 ABOVE

Tony

20. MarioJJ2

MarioJJ2 Rookie

Jun 5, 2021
    Tokyo Japan
    Full Name:
    Mario Inaba
    Thanks Tony!
    I riveted engine room light switch and it looks great!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed, it's all part of the charm!