812 Fault failures | FerrariChat

812 Fault failures

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Mike Chawla, Jan 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    I have had 812 for 3 weeks now, I experienced menettino failure twice which follows with suspension failure, rear wheel failure and the whole other faults, when I leave it for a bit and restart it goes away, I experience this once in Swiss with FF but did not expect on 812, any action from my part to point out to dealer which area to look into as its brand new and oh battery should not be an excuse because I drive the car everyday
    Any suggestion and help much appreciated in advance sirs

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Oh and both occasion I was in race mode and it went to Wet automatically along with the failure faults

3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Are you keeping the car on the battery tender?

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the car needs to back to the dealer. I'd not really drive it until you have it sorted out.

5. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    No as I drive daily so I didnt think about that yet

6. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Ok I will send to dealer, it’s not an obvious problem and they normally don’t find the problem haha

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    They will not be able to solve it. It's the same disease as the Lusso has...
    I know it shouldn't be acceptable in a 400k car but it's still Italian after all. I've had it numerous times....just drive for 10min, stop and restart the car.

8. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    My god...haha..luckily i rented FF 6 months ago and used to this otherwise i will panick a lot more haha, you are right when restart after 15 mins it goes away for a few days Lol. howver will attempt to let dealer erase the ECU memory thing and check the parking brakes sensor etc, also i notice it likes to have something to do when we press the brakes too hard while starting/ car wash mode or when at red light in N mode, i am noticing these things since FF time, so delicate haha

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well my wife had to have her new Portofino battery replaced even though she was driving it every day. If it's a battery problem, the tender won't help but will mask the problem and driving every day won't help either. Have them test the battery, my wife's Portofino had a bad cell.

Caeruleus11 and Mike Chawla like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It is entirely possible for it to be a battery related issue. Your battery could have bad cells, the battery will seem fine, but you get weird errors once in a while. The tender won't pick up on it. But the problems slowly get worse over 6 months to a year, and then one day, seemingly out of the blue, the car won't start. Also, there could be something more serious wrong. Its not worth taking the chance.

11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Was it used or new?

If used, you don't know how it was cared for before you received it. Battery could be bad. But the dealer told me in no uncertain terms when I picked up my new 812 to keep it on the tender without fail. I know my 488 was subject to the gremlins you describe when not kept on the tender.

So I'd start there before I brought it into the dealer. Give it a couple day charge and see what happens.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I believe the car is new - but even then, the boat from Italy to Thailand takes some time. And that battery won’t have been in peak condition when it left Maranello either. Both of which are recipes for a degraded battery.

Get the dealer to replace with a premium local brand - don’t replace with the OEM FIAMM battery. They’re rubbish.

Mike Chawla, Caeruleus11 and deltona like this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Weak battery. Charge it or better yet, drive the whole week every day every where.
    Charge it in dealer not with tender.

14. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ...and they say the future for Ferrari is in electric hybrids...:rolleyes:

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Just as good or bad, as any other brand (i.e. Bosch).

The more complicated a machine is, the more current it draws, even when switched off. A 1980s car could be left for a month and would still start.

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #17 wrs, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Right and systems are supposed to go to sleep when the car is turned off but if for some reason they don't, then just one can eventually drain the battery. This happened to us on our new 2015 RR Sport a month after we first got it. The dealer had it for a week trying to isolate which computer system wasn't shutting down. They eventually did and replaced it which solved the problem. All those computers suck a lot of current.

18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Please elaborate - I’m inclined to believe that there isn’t much difference between well designed batteries but user experience seems to suggest that the FIAMM isn’t one of them. If you’re knowledgeable about FIAMM vs other batteries, then I’d love to learn more as it would save me replacing the FIAMM in my wife’s Cali.

R J likes this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had same problem with less than a week old 812.
    Turned out to be the battery cut off switch was not fully closed , I was told one click away was the reason the systems went haywire.
    By the way the, systems going haywire is not indicative of a major problem , was told a minor voltage/current draw change gets recognized by main system as a problem and puts car into a "safe" (limp) mode so to protect car from further damage. Whatever.
    Put another 600 miles on car since and no issues. knock, knock on wood

Mike Chawla and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Exactly and some are not meant to shut off completely. That's why supercars have battery tenders.

According to my experience, unless a battery is defective, there is little difference between manufacturers. I have had FIAMMs that lasted for 7-8 years and Bosches that were dead within 3-4 years. FIAMM products are not worse than any other major batteries manufacturer's (since they are not driven regularly).

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Funny thing is...my 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 is sold without a battery tender, sits without a battery tender in my garage, sometimes for weeks on end (this summer >> 8 weeks) while I drive my Ferraris....fires up immediately and voltage runs up to 14.1v.

22. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    The battery tender on my 812 is attached to a socket that has a dedicated electricity meter. For those interested, in the first few months the meter showed it was drawing around 0.079kWh per day. After three months or so that increased to 0.082kWh per day. In November it dropped to 0.008kWh per day. Then December through Jan 2020 saw it increase through to 0.112kWh per day. Dunno what any of that means or why it does this.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Less clever computers I guess (just kidding).

When I was in the Forces we used to turn on the tanks and other vehicles every day, in order to keep their batteries topped up. Otherwise we would have to change the batteries... A MBT has 8 (huge) batteries or more...

24. mgmoore

mgmoore Rookie

Jul 16, 2010
    SoCal
    Best action forward is to use the Battery Tender when not driving and go to the dealer who will be able to examine fault codes retained by the vehicle.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  25. F355GTB

F355GTB Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    I have exactly the same fault... spent weeks at the Ferrari dealer... They couldnt figure out the problem. They couldnt generate the same problem while they are testing it and the car computer didnt report the fault !!. I took them out for a test drive, and they saw the error. One week after that, they told me that it is from the ABS system. They are replacing some parts. I will get it this week. I hope it will be ok...

Caeruleus11 and Mike Chawla like this.