Parking lift | FerrariChat

Parking lift

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Jan 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I am thinking about getting one of these to give me some more room for storage. Bendpak PL-7000XR. Anyone have one of these or sometihng similar that they like? I like the size of this as I could fit two next to each other or another car next to it. It is only 98" wide. Plus it does come in 110volt option. I would only be using it for storage, as I have a two post lift for service. Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    #2 Kokose7en, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Sami likes this.
  3. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    I'm in the market for the car lift (for storage) as well. Can someone who has done this before answer the following questions for me?

Is this a DIY job or better off getting a professional company to install?
    Does a structural assessment of the garage floor need to be performed beforehand?
    Permits, extra insurance (beyond the regular car insurance) required?
    Any guidelines on clearance between each car and the upper car and the roof? I'm working with tight margins.
    Anything else I should know?

I'm looking at the All-Pro FP8K-DS or something similar but am open suggestions on the brand. Saw the Autostacker ad in Car & Driver the other day and it looked like a good solution.

4. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I'll 1st state I'm no expert with different lifts. I have a 4-poster. It's somewhat cumbersome, but doesn't block opening the car door. I have limited height as well, and if one is worried, a safety shutoff can be installed at any set height.... just remember that you'll need 2>3" of rise to release lock and lower! Those lifts above look great, just concern me with the openings of doors.... remember, exotics are wide! OK, if you have a Mac, you'll need some more height! The other thought on 4 posters is the weight is distributed over a wider area, and more stable. That said, I have been told that whatever the stated weight the lift can hold, plan on 2/3 weight max. Alot of the lifts today are made overseas, even the big names, so your safety has to be paramount.
    my .02

WATSON likes this.
  5. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    One of my buddies has the Bendpak. Terrific set-up. He used a pro installer.
    Several good points alreday made above

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I am installing a Wildfire WF9000 4 post lift today. It is a collar over post design (similar to the Backyard Buddy), but with heavier gauge steel. Rated at 9,000 pounds, cost me $3,650 delivered to a shipping terminal near my house. Seems like a good deal. The two post storage lifts make me nervous.

GTUnit likes this.
  7. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Thanks guys. I like the Autostacker. It may be too wide to put two of them in, and it is 220V so I would have to run a new line. Beautiful cars!

8. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
    Installing it yourself or getting a professional? Curious if you did a structural integrity analysis of your garage floor beforehand. Hope the install goes well.

9. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
  10. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
  11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Thanks, just found that out. I went to order the PL-7000xr and it is discontinued. The new model looks like it has some upgrades and is only 220v. They said it would take 5 months to get it. I was hoping for 2 day prime delivery!

12. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    2 day prime has really spoiled us. 220v is not really a big deal, any competent electrician can run the wires, and chances are pretty good your main panel is close to the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Anyone know what brand lift this is?
    It was posted by a member here, sorry for jacking the photo
    Seems to solve the wide car issue

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Installed it myself (with the help of a friend). Took us about 6 hours total.

No need for slab analysis. The lift weighs about 2,100 pounds, and the car I have on it weighs about 2800, so call it 5,000 pounds total. Four posts (weight evenly distributed) means the lift with car is about the same as parking my 5,500 pound Tacoma with four tires on the same slab. Concrete is generally rated for about 3,500 PSI, which translates to over 500,000 pounds per square foot. Soil bearing capacity is more critical, and generally, most places allow for an assumed 1,500 psf (unless you are over expansive / clay soils where you really need a pre-tensioned or post-tensioned slab). Anyway, the fiber or mild steel reinforcing of a slab prevents cracking from differential loading and shrinkage, so you would only get failure if you exceed the underlying soil bearing capacity, or if you have poorly compacted sub base / soil under the slab.

This was the second lift I have installed, and it really is not too difficult. Get / borrow an engine hoist and it is almost a one person job.

I would post a picture, but not going to using a hosting service.

zhani355 likes this.
  15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'd never have a concern putting a four post on pretty much any concrete unless it was severely cracked or broken. Drilling into a slab for a two or one post lift you'd definitely want to know the condition/thickness/strength of your slab.

INTMD8 and zhani355 like this.
  16. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    zhani355 likes this.
  17. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Go bendpak. Make sure you get the extra height package so that you can walk underneath without issue

18. zhani355

zhani355 Rookie

Dec 31, 2018
    Bellevue WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin J
  19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Just ordered a bendpak four post 9k lift with a narrow (100" total width) footprint. I can actually put two side by side. It should be here in a week. The guy (robert) in sales at Bendpak was incredibly knowledgeable and we went through several options. They even have a caster kit to make it mobile. I will post up some pictures when I get it.

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  20. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Thecadster and Pis7a2020 like this.
  21. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Wow, nice stable! That looks very similar to the bendpak.

22. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Bendpak HD9 4 post is super stable and reliable though makes parking the 2 bottom cars a bit tight.
    I’m considering a single post in my other garage for more side to side space. But definitely need strong footing and depth.

Sent from my 16M

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    How big is your garage? I'm in 20x20 right now, and am afraid it'd look like that. (one of the cars is a 1971 plymouth, so it's big)

25. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I’d advise checking the slab regardless.

In my case my slab looking like it was in perfect condition but when I went to anchor my 4 post it just drilled straight through.

I ended up getting a concrete company to cut and pour four new footings. When they did that we discovered a void below the slab.

The problem being had a leg of the lift broken through, I’m sure it would have folded in and toppled.

They ended up digging down a foot for the new footings and underfilling the rest of the existing slab.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhani355 likes this.