458 oil change | FerrariChat

458 oil change

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ianjoub, Jan 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I did my first oil change today. I found it ridiculous to remove 25 or so screws to remove the under tray to access the three drain bolts.

I made three 1" holes in the under tray in the correct locations. I can now do an oil change in 15 minutes like a normal car.

Why don't others do this? Or do they and not advertise it? You would have a tough time convincing me that it has any effect on the aero as there are several cutouts and indentations on the under tray already... I did cover them with 200 mph tape just in case, in the matching black color of course :D.

As an aside, the filter I got from Ricambi had 2 washers for the tank drain and only one for the sump drains (2 of them). I had to anneal one of the old copper washers and reinstall.

348ts92 likes this.
  2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Others have done the same as you did with cutting holes, even though it’s a pain I like taking the panel off I do have a lift so that does help. I always do a lot more than just change my oil, I do a thorough inspection of the whole area, ie; all the hoses, belts, suspension system, shocks, looking for oil leaks etc. My A/C wasn’t holding a charge and in my inspection procedure I noticed that I could see an oil drip on the hose fitting that connected to the compressor. Ordered a new hose, replaced recharged system and good to go. My point is you can find things by looking around I am a big proponent of preventative maintenance so removing the panel is good even though it’s a pain. I do the same inspection process(even get the flash light out)when I bleed brakes, change coolant, P/S fluid, gear oil and in the case of the 458 the DCT fluid.

3. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Did you use the measurements from AZLambo thread to cut the holes?

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    No, missed that thread. I just eyeballed it.

As for looking around under there, there is a big slot/hole that I could pull down slightly to get a good look inside with a flashlight.

5. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Its easier in a shop with a lift. The cutouts are a good quick solution though.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have a shop with a lift. I did not have the Ferrari specific peg attachments for my lift and the lift arms were in the way of removing the pan. I may machine some lift pegs to make life easier. Maybe there is somewhere to buy them???

7. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    It would be neat to thread in some type of plug or cover for the three drain locations, so the tray could stay on. I'm not sure on the jack posts.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  9. JeremyE30

JeremyE30 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    GA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy