Ferrari ROMA | Page 80 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
  2. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Are dealers taking deposits and are people getting allocations for the Roma?

3. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    They are most certainly accepting (and even pushing) for deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

gowthamn likes this.
  4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a deposit in. No allocations yet but Sounds like things we ramping up

gowthamn likes this.
  5. CavallinoRosso

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    MS
    Portofino was launched in 2018, only two years ago.

Dela, RamsHmb and SVCalifornia like this.
  6. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I don't think facelift to smaller engine makes sense from Ferrari's point of view. That would bring additional development costs and who's going to buy Portofino after that? If they do smaller unit at some phase, it will be introduced in a new model.

The new WLTP homologation process is also somewhat heavy operation, which reduces manufacturers willingness to re-homologate their cars. Not sure if this large enough reason preventing Ferrari from making small improvements to Portofino's powertrain, but more importantly they don't want to step on Roma's toes.

As Roma's WLTP homologation is still pending, we don't yet know whether it is more economical than Portofino. Lower weight and additional 8th gear may help, but it remains to be seen whether these outweigh increased power and drag (about 1 % larger frontal area).

7. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    #1983 inox, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    I wonder why they have taped the roof and back as well. Can't spot any differences there.

Another interesting thing is that are they now going to block the aero holes next to headlights which lead air to side outlets?

8. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If we want to talk about aerodynamics as well, I believe we must make a distinction between function and stylistic found: if we think about Roma, its architecture follows exactly Portofino. Roma does not have holes, Portofino is full of vents. These are clearly stylistic ideas that also perform an aerodynamic function. But I don't think they are indispensable holes. The "air curtains" of the Portofino, yes, bring fresh air to the brakes, but I think that enough air also comes in from the vents on the front.
    Monza SP has a large hole on the side, reference and mention to the old 750 Monza. The superfast from which it comes has the front hood which is a colander, full of vents and cuts. The Monza has a perfectly convex hood. It doesn't even have an outlet. Nothing.

I believe that these are stylistic ideas that are not an end in themselves, but also perform an aerodynamic function. But Roma's design tells us that it can also do less.

9. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Or, perhaps, it tells us they can do it in different ways.

isot likes this.
  10. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I have buy a Roma or a Portofino to have a chance of getting allocation for an 812 GTS. I am thinking of buying the Roma as it looks better and has a better interior.

11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Instead of the 812 SF they previously said you had to buy?

12. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    #1988 gowthamn, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    I thought if I have to buy SF then I may as well cancel the GTS order as I would be happy enough to buy just a SF. So now its either Portofino or Roma for a chance to get GTS or just buy an SF directly as there are open spots available for SF.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Monza, despite its name, is not meant to be driven as hard and it has compromised aero anyway, since it's open cockpit.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    I think the boot/trunk is just full of something really heavy - like batteries so maybe a test mule for a hybrid Portofino or Roma.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    The Roma street video makes the car look a lot wider than I had thought when I saw the car.......much more like this sketch- its the width and rear haunches that gives the car its particular appeal, that and the flowing side perspective.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Probably a the new Roma convertible!

17. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Regarding the recent torque/power debate (on pages 78-79), I need to make a small correction still. While Roma has better torque/weight ratio than 812 Superfast, this is true only for 7th and 8th gears in Roma. Ferrari uses torque vectoring in their turbo charged engines, so torque is significantly less in lower gears.

Attached is an old picture of torque vectoring in Ferrari California T. I have modified the picture to include also Portofino (7th gear) and Roma (7th & 8th gear) torque curves. Notice that Roma provides max torque on 2 top gears.

Torque (Nm) can be converted to Power as follows:

hp (metric) = Torque (Nm) * rpm / 7023
    bhp (imperial) = Torque (Nm) * rpm / 7121

In calculations I have used metric hp. Notice also that Roma's official torque figure 760 Nm @ 5750 rpm translates to 622 hp, which actually exceeds the official max power of 620 hp. Roma is the only one of the three cars, which attains its maximum power already during maximum torque range. Therefore the torque also drops sharper in the graph. According to Ferrari, Roma produces constant 620 hp between 5750-7500 rpm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vcappp, llk and of2worlds like this.
  18. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    Thanks for posting, appreciate it.

19. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  20. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I think we have to look at this from the perspective of a luxury goods company, not a car company. Louis Vuitton, Hermes etc sell their stuff on the basis of desirability and exclusivity. The last point is done largely through pricing. Ferrari has to have both. No, they cannot flood the market with cheap stuff and hope to maintain their luxury status but if they can maintain their desirability and exclusivity by selling an extra 5000 very expensive cars every year they are going to do that ,just like any company would. The western world is ageing and there is little point in trying to sell only cars that are impossible to drive when your reactions are not that of a 30 year old. Ferrari needs the Portofino, Roma and probably an SUV to cater to the greying market who wants a Ferrari without wanting to tear around a track which they cannot anyway. The biggest problem they (may) face is realising that even a Ferrari needs up to date electronics (with frequent updates like all electronics need). And soon also make the transition to electric cars preferably before a cheap $40.000 electric car can out-accelerate a $300.000 Ferrari. If they can make that transition they will prosper as a company; if not they will become another dinosaur selling to dinosaurs.

21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    G. Pepper likes this.