Can someone take a measurement for me please? | FerrariChat

Can someone take a measurement for me please?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Newman, Jan 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Could someone measure the height of their engine from the center of the crank pulley bolt to the top of the intake manifold? Thinking of another engine retrofit project.

Thanks

2. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    At the front to fthe engine about 420mm, in the middle (intakes) about 30mm higher.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you

So from the center of the crank bolt to the highest point of the center intake manifold its 450mm? IF so I'll assume the 456 would be 420mm. Leaning more to the 456 for a better fit.

Just did a calculation, thats 16" which can't be from the crank center bolt. Should be longer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Sorry, forgot to say I took measurements from my 456, which has a different (lower) plenum compared to your pic.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thats okay. Just wanting to make sure the measurement is from the center of the lower most pulley to the highest point on the engine (roughly)

6. franschman

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Just measured again. From the center of the crankshaft to a piece of board laying on the black covers where they say Ferrari 456 is 450mm. That part seems parallel to the crankshaft. The step in the black covers just aft of the middle is about 35mm, so in total the height of the engine above the crankshaft is 485mm

If you are really tight you may skip the black covers and replace the fuel pressure regulators under the domes.

Newman likes this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks again. I just made a measurement on my 400i and its roughly 16" as well. I expected it to be 18-20" so sorry for making you measure again. It means the engine can fit and still run the stock 456 intake manifolds. This is good news.