Gated shifter part - technical question | FerrariChat

Gated shifter part - technical question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DonBecker, Jan 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    In many pictures of the gates on Ferrari's, I can see a part below the gate, connected to the shifter shaft.

If the picture is the right angle, it also looks like there is a spring, also on the shaft below this part.

What does this part do?

My guess is that it provides pressure underneath the shift gate to keep shifter vibrations to a minimum, but I'd love to know from someone more knowledgeable on this.

Here it is on a Dino:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And again on a 355:

On the 360 and 430 it appears to be circular:

430:

Thanks in advance.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That part is to keep the shifter from going into the reverse gear. You have to push down to get it to go into reverse.

3. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    Thanks, I never would have guessed that.

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Don, you've got me curious. Why all the interest in manual shifting components? I would guess you don't personally drive a stick or you would have known about the reverse lockout. There's some sort of lockout mechanism in every manual I've driven.

So what gives?

5. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    I current drive a Gen 5 Viper which is a 6 speed stick. I've always been a fan of gated shifters and have been working on a possible gated shift plate for my Viper.

I've always been interested in the 360 Modena (6 speed of course) and am also interested in the California but would want a manual (hence my other thread about the manual cars). I'm a few years out from pulling the trigger on an Fcar.

Regarding reverse lockout on the Viper, it uses a Tremec TR6060 which has a mechanism that prevents moving to R while in motion, aside from that it requires no other mechanism, just additional shift effort/angle. I've owned other cars that had an actual mechanism you would move for reverse (C3 Corvette, Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige).

EastMemphis likes this.