1970 L-Series Dino *00870* On The Cover Of Forza! | FerrariChat

1970 L-Series Dino *00870* On The Cover Of Forza!

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Jan 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Leithen, GermanDino and miurasv like this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fantastic!

LARRYH and miurasv like this.
  4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  5. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Wonderful car, wonderful story.
    And long live the procrastinators - resulting in keeping the orignal color and paint!

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Procrastination has saved my a$$ many a time.

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice!! Brian helped me alot with the restoration of mine many years back, it’s certainly a time capsule Dino.

8. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Great video, but...
    - no mention of the headlight covers...I thought they were NOT installed by the factory
    - puzzled to see the Ansa exhaust sticker on top of the tailpipes rather than the customary side locations...is this unique to the L-series?

UroTrash likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #9 4CamGT, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Brian mentioned in the article that he had them installed when he was in London with the car. You can see they’re the flat versions that were normally made by Maranello Concessionaires vs the contoured Scaglietti version.

From the article:
    “The newlyweds then spent a substantial portion of their honeymoon trip in Spain, with the Dino—does it get any better than that? Afterward, Pollock started a job in England which lasted for the better part of a year.”

While there, he took the car to Ferrari’s UK importer, Maranello Concessionaires, for some minor repairs and maintenance. This is where the Dino acquired its headlight covers, which had to be custom-sculpted since each 246’s body is slightly different. The Dino also received its only paint repair to date, having picked up a small dent on the nose while in France.

Pollock also purchased a Bulldog alarm system from Harrod’s in London. Since the department store had no installation department, he later installed it himself, locating the key switch next to the driver’s side door lock.

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    red leather seat insert isn`t original too, he had it changed very early in life… originally red cloth insert

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Such a wonderful story....Priceless history and a unmolested car;; that doesn't come often. Delivered with 8 track stereo cassette player, that must have been unusual. My L-series don't even have the hole in the dash board for a radio, so I assume the later L-series came with another dash layout?

Best Peter

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine was 00908 and was red. It also had knock offs but it had Hex nuts instead of spinners.

Mine had the flush clear turn signals in front but no headlight covers.

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes it was a Ron Tonkin car. 1970. It would not surprise me if it is now yellow. I sold it to someone in Huntington beach.

Ironically I contacted the dealer trying to get some paperwork on it to get it cleared in CA but they refused to admit it.

One of the reasons I got rid of it was CA emissions. I was always afraid one day the Feds would snatch it because was a Euro car. That, and that it needed another complete restoration and I wasn't willing to do that. So it found a new owner.

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I know the owner. I think he still owns it. It’s gorgeous. He completely restored it from the frame up I think around 2000/2001. New door skins etc. Rod Drew in Costa Mesa did much of the mechanical.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    not so unusual....

pshoejberg likes this.
  17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    375+ likes this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #18 TheMayor, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Interesting. That's my old car but it was red. It still has that bizarre chrome footrest in the passenger side. Mine had the hex nut knock offs and the hex tool with a lead hammer.

And yes. I did pay $8000 for this car.

Many people told me to put "Ferrari" badges on it in the 80's. I never did and its nice to see that it doesn't today.

Its weird the ad mentions my actual name. It should just say FerrariChat's "TheMayor" :)

If anyone buys this car, its was a great little car. When I found it it was complete but a non-running mess. The interior was pretty much gone from sitting in the sun in Arizona for about 10 years. For several years while it was the only car I had.

As far as I had it it never was in an accident. But I was suspicious the nose was dinged before I got it because the Dino badge was not sunk into the bodywork like it is now.

Its good to see it survived. Mine really needed a good restoration when I sold it. It was pretty good mechanically but pretty bad cosmetically. So, I saved one early Dino from the scrap heap in 1980 and now someone's invested to make it last to the next generation. The circle of life continues. I'm glad it didn't end up as parts in someone's garage as project they never got to.

I'm rather happy.

And remember -- a Dino is not a Ferrari. Its better.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

C50 and Marcel Massini like this.
  19. Oscar246

Oscar246 Rookie

Mar 24, 2020
    Im looking at buying this car...anyone have an opinion on it? Im new to this game...have always loved the lines of the Dino and this one really stood at to my untrained eye. Any more experienced people on this board see any issues with it? Thanks!

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    4camGT opinion is as good as it gets, above.....

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The owner of 00908 is meticulous in his restorations. He’s restored many early Porsches to perfection as well. Great individual. The last time I saw this car was a few years ago. I’ve never driven it. What I know about it is, in restoring the body, he replaced the door skins in steel. Original for an L-Series is aluminum with the lock cylinder in the scoop. Has had a color change from the original color. Not a negative IMO as it’s an original Dino color and this one is gorgeous. I would have Marcel Massini or Matthias Bartz confirm the engine/gearbox numbers to see if they’re the original units or not. The car is gorgeous and a show winner. It would be hard to replicate at any price. If you live in California, it’s also a bonus that it’s a Euro model. From what I’ve heard, this is more difficult now. I would get a good PPI that also includes an extended drive to see how it behaves when it’s truly warmed up. Most classic cars act differently after a 45 min drive than after 15/20 minute test drive, especially Dinos! It’s been shown with full correct books and tools. I would definitively negotiate to get these included. Best of luck!

375+ likes this.
  22. Oscar246

Oscar246 Rookie

Mar 24, 2020
    4camgt thank you so much for the feedback this is really helpful!! much appreciated

23. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    What does that mean?

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #24 4CamGT, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    From what I’ve heard, If your 1968 on Euro/ROW Spec car has been registered in California you’re fine as it’s already in the system. If you bring in a fresh 1968 on Euro/ROW Spec car technically it needs to comply with California emission standards for the year. As an example, if you legally import a 1974 Stratos or even a 1969 Citroen 2CV into California I’ve heard it isn’t easy. There are private DMV services apparently that know how to do it. I have no personal experience with this though. Just word of mouth and the odd blog I’ve read. California doesn’t follow the federal 21 year EPA exemption.