My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    sampelligrino likes this.
  2. ebw001

ebw001 Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    I’ve seen this car in person and it is one of the best looking speciales out there! Huge congrats and thanks for the write up. I have been missing my 488 dearly and was searching for another but I cannot get over how good looking the speciale is. Hmmmm....

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Very nice Sam. Very nice indeed. That's one heck of a beautiful car.

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on owning the Speciale vs the 488 after you've had the car for 6 months or so. The 458 grows on you quite a lot, the more you drive it.

Anyway, congratulations - that's a really spectacular car; and now that you own a Speciale with a black dash board, I'll have to start taking you a bit more seriously as a Ferrari owner.

:)

Ray

4. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    Wow, What a beauty!!!!! Congratulations

5. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    I've experienced that same looseness on basically a smooth roll on of throttle in a sweeper; in a 911 it's fun time as the rear tires hook up; in the speciale and the 488 it's more like "pay attention because those rear tires are not loaded enough to hook up and blast"

6. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    but they do look and sound better . . .

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Haha glad you approve of the purchase my friend. Check back with me then but I bet you're right as the car seems to be getting better and better the more I drive and get comfortable in the driver's seat, it really is spectacular

Oh and you make me want to start the official no-nero upper dash club lol

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Yeah, unlike any other car I've owned the Speciale will progressively slide on demand with light throttle when the tires are cold. Kind of addicting once you get the hang of it, I'm worried I will go through tires faster on this car lol. It just feels light, almost like the wheels and rubber are narrower with less contact patch when they really aren't

488 and 911 both have a more solid & planted feeling for me, but then would snap out a bit less intuitively and harder to predict when

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Congratulations, a truly stunning Speciale.

10. Sprucemoose

Sprucemoose Rookie

Jan 27, 2014
    Amarillo Texas
    Just caught up on this whole thread, fun! Beautiful car! Enjoy in good health.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    :)

Speaking of more comfortable in the seat...

one thing I noticed on my 458 was that proper seat adjustment really made a big difference w/ my Italia. When I first purchased the car and drove it, I felt like something was off a bit. Then I realized it was because my seating position was all out of whack. I remember I spent like 30 or 45 minutes sitting in the car (in the garage) and running through every position for all the seat adjustments, until I found all the perfect angles and what felt best. After doing that, driving the car felt worlds better to me.

I'm not sure if you have tried doing that, but for me that made a huge difference in how connected I felt when driving the 458.

Ray

Melvok and sampelligrino like this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice shots!

13. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  14. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Nice Speciale and nice parking ... moved up from a bimmer I presume. Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I have been told that the base 458 actually has a more aggressive sound than the Speciale, something to do with the cam used as part of the package to get the extra power. Is this true in your experience?

I'm considering whether it's worth moving to a Speciale from the Spider but I don't want to lose both my dome burner and my perfect sound.

17. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I opened up the valves and that has not been my experience. It’s like driving the spider with the back window down, probably a little bit louder. It’s amazing. I highly recommend the upgrade. The speciale is other worldly.

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    no 458 sounds as good as the spider, end of story!

19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    have you driven a speciale with the exhaust valves open?

20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Not driven, I was shotgun, spider still louder and high pitch.

21. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hm. That has not been my experience. Maybe with the top down, but I think the speciale sounds better when compared to the back window down on the spider. Are you sure the exhaust valves were open? It makes a huge difference. I think what I like the most about the speciale is that the sound builds as you go from low RPMs all the way up to 9K and the nice high pitch starts around 7K.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    To be clear I haven't spent a lot of time in the Italia or 458 Spider but this is my experience as well. Speciale seems to be more exhaust noise, Italia and Spider seem to be more engine pitch. Both are loud, Speciale feels louder because of the in-cabin noise (it's very tough if not impossible to take a phone call with stock exhaust)

Avia11 and of2worlds like this.