456M GT - RHS door light (switch) | FerrariChat

456M GT - RHS door light (switch)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jan456, Oct 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jan456

Jan456 Karting

Oct 1, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jan Scholte
    #1 Jan456, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,
    For sure I'm not the only one with the following issue; the RHS door light (red warning bulb + surrounding light) are not triggered when opening the passengers door. When I open the drivers door, are the lights on the passengers side working. So my conclusion is that either the switch in the passengers door is broken or dirty. FYI, the window is operating correctly, it is just the light.
    Does any-one have experiences with removing the inner doorpanel trim (is it screwed or clipped?) and any idea which switch I need to check?
    best regards, Jan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #2 SonomaRik, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  3. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Two different switches: the door light and interior light switch is kind of hidden by the door gasket.

4. Jan456

Jan456 Karting

Oct 1, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jan Scholte
    Hi,
    Thanks, yet the link doesn't help me or do I miss something......had the hope it showed how to disassemble the trim panel.
    Is it possible to be specific and pinpoint which switch triggers the door light (not the interior light) in the Ricambo sheet (nr?). Is it possible to replace only the particular switch or do you have to replace the complete lock?

Appreciate your help, thanks Jan

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    there are several pages with pics showing each connection point and tools needed. Perhaps you didn't open the pdf? Don't know how much more explicit it could show.

6. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Why do you want to remove the door panel?
    The switch is in the door jamb, not inside the door.

7. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Hi.
    Is the light switch on a 456M in the lock itself.
    There is a microswitch on the lock striker that controls the window drop on door opening.

I have removed all rubber gaskets around the door and cannot see any other switch or ‘plunger mechanism’.

any help appreciated.

I have not been able to identify any wiring for the door which shows an open / close switch

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This system is hopelessly complex. There are no less than 8 switches per door feeding information to the Window ECU, plus one on the (non-moving) door frame. I originally thought the door frame switch was in line with "A" pillar (i.e. on the door "jamb" or hinge end), but looking at Ratarossa's video, it's in line with the "B" pillar.

This is assuming your 456M is the same as Ratarossa's 456GTA.

The driver's "B" pillar switch, labelled "SW6" in the manuals, controls the interior lights and instrument panel door open indications, but have you also seen it control window drop? The manual says that if the driver's door is unlocked, operating the inner or outer door handles will lower the window 2cm. The window also lowers if you operate the unlock tab (on the interior door handle). However, if you do this and don't open the door, the window goes back up again. I'm not sure how "open the door" is defined. It may be by the door handles being moved or perhaps by the switch on the door frame (?).

Do you mean identify physically on the door, or in wiring diagrams?

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Nigel, I've forgotten which lights you having problems with. Is it both the red light (at the end of the door) and the white light (at the bottom of the door)?

Do your interior lights come on when you open the door (is the interior light switch in automatic?). I'm just wondering if the white light is dependent on the interior light switch setting (?).

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Also, is doorsill white light operation affected by having the external lights turned on (sidelights, headlights, etc)?

11. nigelthomas1310

nigelthomas1310 Karting

Jun 3, 2008
    South Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel Thomas
    Hi.
    It’s both the red vertical panel light on the rear of the door and the bottom white light.

they only don’t do on with the affected door opened (passenger LH closed) and neither does the interior light come on.

when the other door is opened the lights on the door work.

The explanation of a micro switch in the door lock
    Itself is looking more like the culprit.

I will continue the investigation. But this is looking likely as when I move the lock mechanism on the door I can hear the microswitch click with no lighting taking place.

if I do the same on the passenger (LH) the microswitch triggers the lights on ALL doors.

looks like an interior lock mechanism fault.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the update/clarification, Nigel.

As we can see now in two of three examples (in this message thread and the other ones), the lights seem to be controlled by the door interior switch (at least on M cars). Maybe Norwegian cars are unique? :p

456M Survey:
    USA and UK (interior switch)
    Norway (B pillar switch)