Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 138 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    My point is this......unless they were forced to, I think Ferrari got it wrong. The button should come up disabled upon startup, with activation as an option, not the opposite.

It wouldn’t cause me not to purchase another Fcar. But I don’t have to be on board with everything they do.

luckyguy and MalibuGuy like this.
  2. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Major issue for me if I am unable to disable. definitely a PITA to have to push a useless button every time I start a car. I think everybody has a right to decide what is minor or major for them. We can always respectfully disagree. I understand if this was a safety issue but it is not a safety issue.

luckyguy, Bundy and OSUferrari like this.
  3. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. I will live with pushing the button each time (just was surprised to hear Ferrari was having to do this now too). If the button goes away, that is a bigger issue for me.

luckyguy and Bundy like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I normally don’t get too worked up about such things but I agree I’ll never buy a super car if auto stop start can’t be disabled. I don’t mind having it turn it off each time even though that’s annoying. But not being able to disable is a no go.

Bundy likes this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It’s not quite that simple however. By law the mfg must meet certain fuel economy requirements. The start/stop feature is added in an effort to improve fuel economy. When the gov. does it’s testing, the vehicle must meet the fuel economy numbers without the driver having to do anything. So by default, the vehicle has to have the process in place. Some mfg choose to let the driver ‘turn off’ the system. But you must reinstate the system on each and every restart. Other mfg don’t even give the driver the choice. In my wife’s Chev SUV, there is no way to ‘turn off’ the feature. In my previous Alfa, they allowed you to turn off the system, but on each and every restart you had to push a button.
    That’s the long & the short of it.

sampelligrino, pilotoCS and of2worlds like this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why is everyone jumping To the assumption that start stop cannot be disabled. If that was the case, I would agree it would prevent me from buying the car.

but I start my Pista, I push the button for drive, I disable start stop and move forward. Annoying...yes. Will it make me sleep my car? Hell no

LARRYH, Boomhauer and Astrid.Didier like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    people are saying Ferrari in the future will likely not give the option to disable stop start.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha!!

Every vehicle I have except the F-250 and Wrangler have this “feature”. I am thankful I can turn it off and do so after start up. No big deal. Love the 812 and looking forward to the F8.

Taking the transmission out of auto is also no hardship...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Astrid.Didier and Dicecal like this.
  9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    then this discussion in the future would make sense. You can 100% disable start stop on the F8. That’s what this thread is about correct?

Boomhauer and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Did not mean to get this off on tangent. Just was surprised when I watched the video. I was first to drive F8 at my dealership when it came to town....and I started the car myself and drove it for 30 mins with no start stop. Guessing the rep riding with me must have hit the button after I stated the car and did not say anything. My original post was more to make sure there was a way to turn off - which seems to be the consensus although no one has received an actual F8 yet. I am surprised at how many cars are being made now where is cannot be disabled. That is worrisome. also - what is a person to do when their F8 has been status 40 for 2 weeks now. Gotta complain about something !! The wait is brutal.

11. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Surprised to hear that about the Chevy SUV ... if no physical button are you certain it can’t be switched off through the infotainment system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am not an Air-force pilot, but as an ex Tank Commander I can tell you that we had a similar check list. It seems crazy to me that people who are too bored to press one single button (to start a Challenger II you need to follow a 3' procedure) are allowed to drive a 700 HP missile...

13. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    (The truth about engine stop start systems)

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    This thread is funny. I mean really no bs funny.

Consider: I have to push the Auto button to ensure I’m in Manual mode on my 458 every time I go from reverse to 1st out of my garage and it really isn’t a buzz kill and the calories used to do it are not measurable.

To be fair, I could roll off in auto and not push the button but I’d still have to pull a paddle to get to go manual. Oh the horror . Would it be a nuisance to have to disable auto off at the same time? Meh

Only for one reason does this bug me - auto off exists because nit wits elect bigger nit wits - who enact “green” rules like auto off that if one does the research (I haven’t so spare me a lecture) the auto off on the other gazillion autos out there has a negligible effect on GHG.

I’m saying all of this with a smile and not trying to offend or pick a fight. Just sayin the whole discussion is because F-cars being forced to do this silliness by politicians.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I turn off auto before l put in reverse. It stays in manual as long as l don’t touch the AUTO button again. 2012 458 spider.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My 2020 S5 Audi has stop start. No stop start if in manual or sport. And a button to shut it off if in Drive. I never drive with stop start active. Ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    In my case, It’s not boredom - it’s forgetfulness. Between my wife and I, we have four vehicles (too many, but we use them all for different purposes). I can’t tell you how many times I look to put the key in the ignition on the left side of the steering wheel (thanks Porsche), or cannot find the seat adjusters in my wife’s Merc, because they’re located on the door like Dad’s old Buick.

It won’t stop me from buying the F8 when it’s time. The F-hook is set too deeply.

18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Correct.
    It doesn't seem to bother my wife. Whenever I drive her car, it drives me nuts!
    But i'll go into all the menus again just to make sure.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think these are forged with diamond finish. (I specced these so I guess I like them)

stavura likes this.
  20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The engine is so quiet. You would hear them whisper in the cockpit. Oh well.

Astrid.Didier and Napoli like this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    ^^^ this ^^^

Thank you. Finally someone here gets it! It's not Ferrari that's forcing these systems on us. It's the EPA testing cycle.

Look, upon delivery, find out exactly where the override button is and use it. My wife just got a new BMW X3. The override button for the auto-stop is a fraction of an inch from the start button. "Oh wow . . . what a pain the . .. " :rolleyes:

22. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The red line for me is when a manufacturer makes it impossible to override and disable. I have not talked to anybody who likes this.

23. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Me too. Is still pressing a button that seems to really stress out many on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bluesea likes this.
  24. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Fantastic photos!!

of2worlds and TSOYBELIS like this.