Transporting a 328 by trailer - how best to tie down | FerrariChat

Transporting a 328 by trailer - how best to tie down

Discussion in '308/328' started by LuigiVampa, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I'm going to be taking my 328 GTS to the shop in the next few weeks and in order to avoid an Uber ride I am going to bring it using my trailer.

Any tips for strapping it down other than to lace the straps through the wheels? I dislike strapping through the wheel spokes as one crank too many on the strap takes the car out of alignment.

Does a 328 have any tie-down points?

Many thanks.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    From what I understand, Ferrari's should be tied down by the wheels only by straps running over the top of the tire (ideal) or through the wheel openings. Be careful not to run a strap over the valve stem. Doing this allows your car to "float" on its own suspension which can help absorb the bumps and bruises the road will dish. Trailer suspensions are not that great. Be sure to tie down all four wheels so the car won't jump.

smg2, GatorFL and Nuvolari like this.
  3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Exactly correct

4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
  5. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I've towed both by strapping down the suspension and tires depending on the vehicle and if there are suspension points to strap to. There are lots of opinions about tires versus frame and I cannot say that I am married to one idea. That being said, I threw one of my cars suspension out of alignment a bunch of years back because I overcranked the strap. I've learned to get snug but not overly snug.

All that being said, does the 328 have any suspension pickup points? Being so low to the ground it will be hard to find them until I see the car on a lift.

F612 - nice trailer! I used to use a block bolted to my trailer back when I only had one car to move around and I think it is an excellent idea. Unfortunately/fortunately, that ship sailed a long time ago!

6. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
  7. 328GTSinPA

328GTSinPA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    PA
    Full Name:
    David Felker
    So, when we picked up mine last week, the Provost Motorsports guys did use the wheel straps through the spokes. We were very careful not to over tighten the ratchet and we took a slower than normal ride from Long Island to Bucks County than we otherwise would have done with the Cayman race car in the back. LOL!

Car did not move. Here is the cautionary note: My mechanic drove the car onto the trailer as we really didn't know where to safely attach the winch to the front of the car. I then held the door open with my hand between the door and the wheel wells of the trailer so we would not scratch or dent the door. If the mechanic had not been a thin, fit 30 something, I don't know how the hell we would've gotten him out of there.

8. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The only car I own that I can drive into the trailer and get out easily is a 1953 MG TD.

I know Provost - good guys! If you race a Cayman chances are we know each other.

9. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Long tow with a race car, tie through suspension/mount. 500 miles of towing with only tires held in place is 500 miles of suspension wear. Going to a show is a different matter, over the wheels or through them is fine best would be something like this : https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=wheel%20tie%20down%20straps.

YMMV

Lester

LuigiVampa likes this.
  10. 328GTSinPA

328GTSinPA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    PA
    Full Name:
    David Felker

Todd, it's me...David Felker.

11. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thanks for the compliment, the “decoration “ was a labor of love.
    I use the same trailer with spacers for my 575, Morgan 4/4 and Porsche 991.
    I have towed them 1000s of miles

12. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Let's say hello at the next race we are both at. Looks like no Sebring for you this year - maybe LRP or WGI? I'll be there.

I have different parking positions for most of the cars as there are front, mid, and rear engine cars in the menagerie. Where the weight goes affects the ride. I have a good weight distribution hitch but it does matter.

Except for the MG as that weighs nothing and I can park it where ever it ends up!

13. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    No, I'm David Felker!

Lester

14. 328GTSinPA

328GTSinPA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    PA
    Full Name:
    David Felker
    LOL!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 328 has one tow hook welded to the underframe passenger side. But having only one is not enough to tie down four corners.

16. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    That's really what I wanted to know - thank you. I don't plan on hauling the car for long distances so strapping down the wheels should be fine.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I've hauled 308, (2) mondis and two 348's as well as a lotus esprit back form atlanta to MN. I always loop through or grab the lower a arm as close to the wheel as possible. And the lower a arms in the rear criss crossing the rear straps for stability. Never really tried the over the wheel approach. Mostly because of the low front spoilers on theses cars you'd have to have tie down points available very near the front and back of the wheel/tire. I've also never been a fan of the through the wheel idea because even with a towel or other protection I would personally worry about damage to the wheel finish. I've seen the through the wheel technique plenty though.

87testa likes this.
  18. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I do the same technique as yours hauling Dinos, 308s, 512M, California, SUVs in my 24 feet trailer to Northern California from So Cal with no troubles or change in alignment. The latest trip was to FCA Scottsdale AZ with the 308. I must say I try to avoid wrapping through the wheel technique since I might scratch the wheel's finish on my 98 points car while looping the straps in low light condition.

87testa likes this.
  19. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Agreed. Over the wheel is generally not a consideration with low cars as there is not enough clearance to crank the ratchet.

Good news is that I was able to find the time to get a temporary registration for my car so that when it is delivered tomorrow I can just drive it home from the parking lot we are meeting at.

All that being said, I'm certain the car will be going to the shop soon afterwards for a full checkup so it has a date with my trailer in the near future.

20. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don’t have an inclose trailer but when I had to transport my QV 250 miles I just rented a U-Haul trailer and it works great.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    +1

miketuason likes this.
  23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yes they work surprising well. I've moved a mondial, 308 and 2 348's with them in a pinch. They require a few extra steps/tips and techniques to get the cars on , but yes they do in fact work well.

miketuason likes this.