2020 Portofino | FerrariChat

2020 Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Verno, Jan 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verno

Verno Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    Just took delivery 6.5 months after ordering, replacing a California (Sept 2009 order that I got in May 2010). I thought the California had great town and track manners, but the Portofino really is a huge step up around town. Haven't had a chance to open it up yet, but expecting great things. I had read that 2020 models would have constant HELE, an ill conceived and dangerous feature IMO, but am pleased to say it can be disabled (but unhappy that I have to disable it every time I start the car). Stayed with TdF Blue, but changed from tan/Daytona to Tortora/standard seats (gray, but looks white in photos) with blue stitching/piping this time. The thinner profile seats are great, and the passenger display is a very cool option. Overall, very happy with this car so far--even the exhaust sound is better than expected (despite the turbos).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

thodeus, BHMSOCCER, RamsHmb and 12 others like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Beautiful! Enjoy...T

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Beautiful! Congratulations!

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Love it congrats bud, really enjoyed mine the few nice days we had.. now its ugly out so waiting for this winter to leave :(

5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations! Enjoy in excellent health!!

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Terrific new car! Enjoy.

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Really like that gray interior with the blue accents. Big congrats on a unique spec.

8. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Really suits it, the TDF blue... lovely in combination with the yellow callipers! Congrats & enjoy it!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have a question what on earth would ever make HELE dangerous? The feature may be a bit of an oddity in a Ferrari, but dangerous? NEVER have I encountered a single dangerous situation in a car with stop/start feature, being it a manual or an automatic. As soon as you lift your foot off the brake, the car starts. By the time your foot is on the go pedal, the engine is running. Not following you at all here.

10. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
  11. Cipohealey

Cipohealey Rookie

Dec 16, 2011
    London
  12. Verno

Verno Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    My anti-HELE bias is due to wanting to be in control of the car at all times while in live traffic. If your engine isn't running you are not in control of the vehicle. Getting power from the motor is far from instantaneous while lifting from the brake and hitting the gas pedal, and I have been in a situation where I had to react and move quickly or get plowed into. Worse, the HELE gets confused while slowly coming to a stop in traffic, causing the engine to cut out then restart--you are definitely not in control of a moving vehicle in that case. Further, I just can't believe that the constant cutting in and out isn't causing excessive wear and tear on the engine/drive train--all for putative environmental benefit.

There was a post suggesting that HELE would be constant starting with 2020 models, and I wanted to get it out there that that is not the case. I only wish there was an option to make HELE off the default mode with opt-in rather than the way it is now.

13. Verno

Verno Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    Sweet--a Portofino out in the winter! The car is even more beautiful with a little white stuff around it :)

14. Verno

Verno Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks. Strange lighting effect on the leather--looks very light in the sun but goes to medium gray in the shade. You can see the difference in the photos. Paraphrasing a salesman: everyone's first Ferrari is red, their second one is "resale spec", and the rest are just for them. This one is definitely unique and just for me!

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I asked my dealer about this a while ago, and they say HELE remains unchanged. Switch it to off, and it stays off.

16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Exactly what happens.... but I gotta say that the Portofino is one of the most exciting and fun to drive cars I have ever owned (if only the back seats were a tad larger). Its so usable and today I took the kids to school and in cold conditions they made me put the top down, giggles and laughs all over the place. I am not sure how it sounds so good for a V8turbo but its got a wicked exhaust. Really impressed with this Ferrari package, I have loved them since my California THS.. great wins from Ferrari. My only complaint is the left leg rest peddle, its just too "raised".. why? My legs are long and I find my left leg/knee not as relaxed as it should be.

JotaEle and of2worlds like this.
  17. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It stays off only until the next time you start the engine. You have to turn it off every time you start the engine.

18. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    of2worlds and uhn2000 like this.
  19. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    BHMSOCCER likes this.
  20. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ha so nice! I get a ton of thumbs up for the TDF blue.. personally I think its the best in-range paint colour when you talk about its pop and unique look - almost looks 3 layer.

BHMSOCCER likes this.