458 CAT delete with stock exhaust | FerrariChat

458 CAT delete with stock exhaust

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Spitfire458, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spitfire458

Spitfire458 Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Denis Arsenault
    Anyone run CAT delete but with stock exhaust? Assuming with tune

Worth it? How does it sound vs stock?

Any insight would help

Denis

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know about the sound of the 458 without the cats, but I heard a 599 with the cats deleted and didn't like it at all. It changed the fine tuned sound, to a louder, but raspy and unrefined sound. It didn't sound like a Ferrari to me. Just a personal opinion though.
    I have the valve controller on my car, and for my taste, it's perfect. I wouldn't want the car any louder. Plus it gives me the option to make it louder, or quieter, depending on my mood, or who I have as a passenger.

3. Spitfire458

Spitfire458 Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Denis Arsenault
    Good to know. Are you using the Novitec valvetronic controller?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No, I have the Capristo. I may be wrong, but I don't think that Novitec makes a valve controller for the stock exhaust on a 458. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
    I know that Forza also makes one, and it's about 1/2 the cost of the Capristo one. People seem to be happy with it as well.

5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    All valve controllers will work with all exhausts. They all function the same way exhaust wise, so the choice is entirely up to the method of opening the valves (i.e. do you like key fob or a cigarette jack plug in button)

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gotcha,
    I really like the way the capristo and the Forza work. I just installed the capristo on a friend’s car. I used the remote control, and it is very easy to install. You just jack it in line with the valve controller jacks (A little tight to get access to, but possible by removing the airbox cover, and loosening the air box base), then attach a ground wire, and that’s it! Then you just use the remote control to set it to the way it is stock, or you can set it to have the valves always open so it can sound more exciting without having to beat on the car.
    I have recommended it to a few people, and everybody so far has been very satisfied with it. It is not for everybody, but if you like to hear it loud sometimes, it’s the best compromise in my opinion. Mainly because the exhaust is tuned so nicely from the factory, and you don’t lose that. Also, the car remains pretty much stock. And best of all, it’s easily reversible if you want to sell the car, etc.

7. Spitfire458

Spitfire458 Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Denis Arsenault
    @up4speed do you have the regular or sport exhaust on your car (Chrome or black tips)?

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the regular (chrome tips), but as far as I know, it’s the same exact exhaust, it’s just the color of the tips that changes. There is no difference in the actual exhaust system.

9. Spitfire458

Spitfire458 Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Denis Arsenault
    ok same

thks

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'm running fabspeed headers -> NR 200 cell cats -> stock exhaust box + NR software. Sound is considerably louder but not super obnoxious with valves closed (sport mode- it actually keeps them closed a little longer in sport mode than the stock program) and seriously loud and insanely awesome when the valves open (race is always open which is so much better than the stock on/off situation) also- car is making more power now :)

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Those cars are way too far apart to compare. It will probably be close to the aftermarket systems that are not too synthesized like the IPE F1 is. Granted it will not sound like a Capristo without cats, but probably quite close as the cats has a very profound effect on sound of all the exhaust mods you can do.

The 599 has a very different and old school type sound. With the F12, FF and so on, all the cars became more creaming.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. version5

version5 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2014
    Australia
    Has anyone actually carried out the cat delete (straight pipes) with the standard exhaust?
    Interested as to whether there is any fumes smell that is noticeable.

alibo70 and Spitfire458 like this.
  13. Spitfire458

Spitfire458 Rookie

Oct 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Denis Arsenault
    Yeah, what he said

14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Anyone done this?