488 - New Pista Paint Respray? | FerrariChat

488 New Pista Paint Respray?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by unogib, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Anyone else have a giant missed paint spot on their build photos? Mine just went Status 85 so another 4-6 weeks to see it in person! Rosso TRS exterior color.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Astrid.Didier and spyder625 like this.
  2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Double fail on Ferrari QC, one for letting this happen, one for actually sending you the photo. Things like this should never happen, but of course it will be fixed. Congrats on your car!

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    If you are referring to the front of the car? That area will be covered by the front facia that actually covers part of the front wheel-well.

Astrid.Didier and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have looked at a few in production pictures I have on hand and I sometimes see similar things to your pic. There is fine print at the bottom of these photos which more or less says don't get too worked up if you see a flaw or something missing.

Shadowfax and of2worlds like this.
  5. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Actually referring to under the door. Seems odd that the machine wouldn't spray for another 5 seconds. Either way i'm sure it will be great! Never seen Rosso TRS in person so getting anxious.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I watched the (a) Ferrari factory video. They had people painting tight spots, corners, sills, etc. then the robots painted the rest of the car. Maybe that is what is going on there.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Or maybe that's the part that gets covered by the side skirts, so they don't even bother.

8. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari paint is known to be less than perfect. My PPF shop has me sign a special Ferrari waiver form before doing paint correction and PPF on Ferraris. They said the Pista has the most paint issues by far.

My Pista came with fish eyes in the clear coat and many other imperfections. Pretty sad that they can't do a better job for the these prices.

Just take a close look at the paint in all areas before taking delivery.

9. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Agreed...I always need a full paint correction from my PPF shop on all new Ferraris i've received as well. I'll definitely be on heightened alert when looking at this one. I may get a paint meter and see if they resprayed any parts showing a thicker paint on the edges of the door where technically there would be an overlap or "2" coats of paint. Even if it looks great - would be interesting to see the paint gauge meter.

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #10 of2worlds, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Which style of stripe livery did you choose and did you use Grigio Coburn on the stripe? Rosso TRS seems like a shiny pure Rosso Corsa without any orange-ness but in the bright sunshine there are gold flecks in the paint with lots of gloss.
    As a special color I doubt the car was painted in the factory, instead at Zanasi.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I understand what you are saying and I agree that for the prices we pay the car should Be perfect. It’s not. It never is. Ferrari paint sucks. You start with paint meters and microscopes- it just takes away from the ownership experience. My car had a few minor flaws. Nothing major but annoying. Just roll with it. Any major issues obviously get fixed but try not to ruin the experience of a new Ferrari by getting caught up in all the minutia.

Craig488 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    It's been so long (June) since the order was placed I had to look up the following to be sure!

Exterior is Rosso TRS (I was very close to going with Rosso Formula 1 2007) with Grigio Coburn Stripe (but only the two thinner stripes with the middle being the exterior color) with a pinstripe of Rosso Coburn breaking up the two Grigio Coburn stripes. Gold calipers with full exterior carbon. Interior is a blend of leather (upper dash, upper door, outside bolsters/headrest of racing seats) with alcantara (roof, lower dash, center tunnel, center of racing seats) with Italian tri-color stripe down the middle of the seats.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you for taking the time to share the build specs for your special Ferrari. Hopefully when the third factory picture showing your finished Pista arrives you will be smiling after a long wait!

14. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Well crap! Just got my final pic ..... they painted the stripe in the wrong damn color!!! It’s supposed to be Grigio Coburn with pinstripe of Rosso Coburn. Instead they painted the full stripe in Rosso Coburn! Uggghhh!!!!!!!!

15. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
  16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well that sucks

17. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    hmm...
    the hood looks like it's done properly, no? (not certain as your config image doesn't include it)
    perhaps the roof and rear deck is correct but the light glare and creases are obscuring it?
    the image posts are probably lower resolution than you can see so your impression would be more accurate.

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Dont see any grigio coburn on the factory pic. Bummer and major screw up.

19. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Oh man, I'm sorry to see that. What's the plan?

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    To me, it also looks like only the hood has stripes. Maybe they still have to add the others? Not sure how they can make a simple mistake like that?

21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Yeah I see those stripes, it's prolly my computer screen but they don't look gray and have a blackish tint. When I magnified the image it does have a similar design to OP's original spec.

Still missing the roof and engine cover stripes, yikes.

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    To the original point, the TRS paint is done by hand at Zanassi and not at the factory, no way they missed the sills and left them unpainted. As to getting the stripe wrong, no excuse for that - very annoying for you.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    First get your dealer to ask Ferrari to take the Pista outside in the factory yard and take some pictures of the car and have them sent to you asap. Ferrari has done this for certain other customers so it certainly is possible. Then you will clearly see what was done. Just a small computer image is not something you want to use as an ultimate judgement of what work was done.
    I see the picture of what you requested but I will say that another customer was using the specific idea of a red stripe on red paint in two different shades for a subtle stripe effect. That 'look' is not without merit but Ferrari should give you the right option spec choice that so much effort went into on your part...

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Generally speaking, Zanasi does better work than Ferrari, but I've also seen Zanasi paint jobs that was just as bad and flawed as the Ferrari paint jobs.
    Buddy of mine bought a Lusso in November with a Nero Stallto paint job from Zanasi, and it needed a 70 hour paint correction to be good.

Caeruleus11 likes this.