Anyone wish they'd gotten a Lusso T instead of a Lusso or vice versa? | FerrariChat

Anyone wish they'd gotten a Lusso T instead of a Lusso or vice versa?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sisiay, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    Have been on a long hunt for my first Ferrari, and find myself spinning in circles over options/colors/etc. The curse of not quite feeling flush enough to choke down the depreciation on a new car. I'm limiting myself to the FF/Lusso because it's replacing a 2-seater that doesn't get driven enough because kids, so at least that's a few variables eliminated.

Theoretically, the Lusso T is a "better" option because it will be a semi-daily driver, so I'll be driving more torque than HP, and mileage difference might actually be non-trivial over the life of the car, at least vs an FF. But there's also a big part of me that really wants my first Ferrari to be a V12, and seems like we're probably running out of time on that engine overall. And anyway, it almost feels silly to bring practical considerations to what is obviously a totally frivolous purchase.

So, curious if anyone bought a v12 Lusso and ended up wishing they went with the V8 or vice versa. At this point the price difference between them isn't really meaningful. AWD might be fun for a novelty ski trip, but I live in SoCal and have more practical AWD cars, so it's hardly a must-have.

Any thoughts much appreciated...and if you're looking to unload any of the above feel free to DM as well.

Thanks.

cavallouomo and FerrariTexas like this.
  2. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Sumply put, car is made of 2 things.

Design and engine.

If design is identical then engine should be a deciding factor. So v12 Lusso all the way.

4wd is bad for drifting but good for everything else :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Lightening

Lightening Rookie

Oct 20, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ken Gee
    The Lusso concept is brilliant- so practical and a joy to drive - and imo way better than the FF. My advice......buy whatever you can afford. A V12 is magnificent but unless you are a complete petrol head, buy what suits your pocket.......and enjoy the fantastic motor car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

deltona, Caeruleus11 and sisiay like this.
  4. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    My dealer told me when i was looking at a Lusso and a Lusso T, once you go V12 you'll never look back. He was right! The sound a V12 makes is simply incomparable to a V8.

Caeruleus11 and sisiay like this.
  5. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Definitely not, 4 wheel drive in the mountains, howling engine, what's not to love. Plus for those among us who consider mpg to be paramount if you do 6000 miles a year you will save £500 with the T:):)

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    After living with the Lusso V12, I cannot see it being any other way. And as a daily, it's a great car. Not sure what exactly would make the V8 better in this regard, other than maybe the mileage. Funny enough, the V12 seems softer and more comfortable in its ride, and as far as a daily, that's the better deal imo. The V12 has a smoother and quieter sound when cruising, where I feel the T gets a bit droning, and when you push it, the added power and sound is just on another level.

If you want the Lusso as a sportscar, I'd say for all intended purposes, the T with a Novi power upgrade is the better choice.

Themaven, Caeruleus11 and sisiay like this.
  7. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    The argument I'd heard for the T as a daily/city driver is that because it has more low end torque (and more torque over all) it can be more fun in stop-and-go/staggered driving, whereas the V12 needs a little more room to really do its thing. But I'm sure that even on short drives, if you're committed to getting to 6000+RPMs, where there's a will there's a way.

Thanks everyone, you're confirming what I felt in my gut. Very helpful to hear it from people who have experienced it firsthand.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Get the V12.

deltona, Il Co-Pilota and sisiay like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There is nothing I have ever encountered that compare to a Ferrari V12.
    But if you live in a warm area then the 4wd seems unnecessary and according to FChat of question reliability.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    My 2cents,
    FF are the real deal at the moment. So much car for value. Most likely, it will not remain your only Ferrari so safe the money for a Scud as the second one.
    For sure the lusso is nice, but not "100grand more" nice imho.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    You can't go wrong at any of the options imo...Lusso T...beautiful, phenomenal car...lighter than Lusso V12....Lusso V12 is a dream machine...

Was looking for a Lusso T myself and went V12...as a 'Tailor Made' near brand-new super low km's FF came b(u)y and instantly fell in love with the car. I very much like the 'rougher' image of the FF over Lusso, but that is very personal. Price difference was a consideration, although it was a super high priced FF...so not a wise choice either.

In the end I fell for appearance and spec of the car and the fact it 'matches' with my F12.

...and one day I will upgrade to 812 & Lusso (T/V12).

Life is beautiful.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The concept is simple. 2 is better than 1 4 is better than 2, 8 is better than 4.... Simple really:)

john a barnes and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    V12 or..... err.... V12.

Nothing less, if getting a Lusso.

sisiay likes this.
  14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I would go V12 all day. However, the T may be more suitable for some people in certain situations.

15. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    Thanks, that's helpful to hear. That may end up being the tougher choice then, rather than v8 vs v12. There does seem to be about an 80-100k spread, and since i'm already looking used, seems guaranteed that the Lussos have a lot further to fall than the FF. I was thinking one option is to start with an FF, and plan on trading up to a Lusso in 2 years, but then the question becomes if the depreciation on the FF, plus the extra sales tax (I'm in CA), plus the "cost" of driving a potentially less satisfying car for two years, plus warranty and scheduled service (that would be included with Lusso) is meaningfully less than the current cost differential between the cars. Who knew this was so much work!?!

Prefer the exterior of the FF, and obviously interior/tech updates of the Lusso. Both drive great, didn't drive the FF long enough to really get a sense of how much of a difference the 4-wheel steering makes. I know the stereo is a weak point, but I've followed a number of the threads here on options for addressing that so I'm not worried about that (and yes I know the engine is the best stereo, but when I'm driving kids to school I need to be able to easily answer calls and take song requests from time to time).

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Completely disagree 100%, and have lots of experience with both. You can get some pretty good Lusso deals at the moment. The Lusso interior is way above and beyond the fit and finish of the FF. The gearbox tuning is better, the engine response is crisper with better sound, and the 4RM system works better. I love the FF as a drivers car, but as far as quality, refinement and finish go, there's no comparison. All the rattles, the road noise, the interior design and so forth, is so much better in the Lusso and well worth the difference in price.

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess it all depends on what you like and what you want. I looked at the V12 Lussos. I didn't care for the shark gills on the side and the ridge in the hood. I thought the interior is a little nicer though. However, comparable cars were at least $80K to $100K higher. Not at all worth the extra money. The annual services are only about $1350, 2 to 4 extra years doesn't add up to that much of a savings.

18. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Extra Warranty & newer car too, need to be factored into calculations. Also the fact that Lusso is a nicer place to be.

OP should drive an FF and Lusso close together, and decide.

sisiay and dustman like this.
  19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Get the NA car. Just for the sound.

sisiay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #20 635CSI, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    If noise at high revs, and at "jail time" speed, is your thing, and you hate your neighbours, go V12. If RWD fun, incredible steering and lightness of touch, is your thing, then go V8T. For ski trips, take the SUV and buy V8T for fun. If you live in a city, buy a small car and a V8T. If you live on the coast, buy a boat and a V8T. ;)
    Seriously, both are great options, but are very different cars. I can only say, do try to drive both before you choose, in the kind of conditions and on the kind of roads you will be using the car on.
    Then buy the V8T.

Ok, I'm a heretic, guesting on a mainly V12 forum. Respect to all the 2+2 shooting breaks eccentrics.

cavallouomo, SVR, Themaven and 4 others like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think that will be tricky. Don't know about you, but I can only drive one car at a time. But I suppose that if he should drive two cars at once, they would have to be close together - one being lhd and the other rhd...

Sorry, couldn't resist:D

But yes, a back-to-back drive in both would be a great way to do it. I would think most dealers would have both an FF and Lusso.

Kin429 and of2worlds like this.
  22. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I got the V12, and a buddy of mine got the V8tt, we swapped to drive each others sometimes. All in all, around town with the main purpose of using as daily and supermarket stuff, the V8 is much much livable, feels smaller, power bands are much more usable. In long-distance and road trip tho, the V12 hands down no question. It depends where you live and how you use it I guess.

Despite lots of ppl talking about Lusso has the same V12 from F12 and 812, I find them nothing alike in every performance aspect. The V12 in Lusso is very relaxed and smooth, plus the long gear ratio. It's a long leg GT.

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Interesting that you say the V8 feels smaller. How so? They both have RWS and are the same size.

Completely agree with the engines. I will say this. The Lusso engine does feel a bit closer to the F12 engine than say the FF engine, but then again, it's also closer in power to the F12 compared to the FF, which is very different. But still, not even close to being as temperamental as the 812 and F12 engine. Different cams, different throttle mapping, heavier cars, taller gears etc. It all makes a difference. The 812 mill is by far the most lively, sans theTdF of course, but that's an entirely different game all together.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW
    After putting well over 15,000 combined miles on FF/Lusso T / Lusso I can tell you that there is nothing to replace the V12 sound and performance!

Lusso T - 80% of the experience IMO. While it always gets the job done , there were several times I found myself needing ( wanting ) just a little more acceleration.. that you can't get out of the T.

$100k between the two, I'd go for the T .... $20k between the two, get the V12 !

All around they are the same on all other fronts IMO, with the exception to start up noise... FF all the way!

Steve

25. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    That I don't know. They just feel that way to me. Love my V12 but sometimes I kinda want the V8 too hahah

635CSI, sisiay, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.