Ferrari 250 Gte original windshield / wind screen question | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 Gte original windshield / wind screen question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Jan 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi All,

I am thinking of replacing my front screen on my S3.

What were the original suppliers of front wind screens
    on the the Gte and how do the etchings / stamps look like and where are they situated at the screen.

Does anybody have a correct new or good original used screen for sale in Europe?

Thanks for any info and hints.

Thanks
    Christopher

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the etchings are left side down

if you need a "rebuilt" one send me a PM

3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany

Attached Files:

4. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    VIS is original as confirmed by Tom Y. and as I found out by reviewing several old screens.

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I got new replacement front and rear screens from GTO Engineering in the UK. Replica SWB are their thing, so they have GTE parts....not cheap though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thats where I got my original from in very good nick. Vern Lyon is always a pleasure to deal with.

Christopher

635CSI likes this.
  7. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Just to show how good and customer oriented they are. Received the screen today. Delivered and destroyed by DHL!!!! Vern immediately said he will send replacement!

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    now I know why DHL always is raising the prices, may be insurance will not pay anymore? ;)

9. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Hi turbo-joe,

If I have alternatives to DHL I go with them, not DHL. Lots of bad service and no trust at all. Sorry for the sidetrack... beside destroying my screen they lost my 250 sump for two weeks and did not care at all.

BR
    Cc

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    alternative would be:
    UPS, TNT, made only goo experiences

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In most cases and no matter what you ship, if it arrives broken, it is usually not the carriers fault.
    It usually means sender didn’t package it correctly and safely.

I’ve been producing and selling curved/laminated windshields, rear windows & other glass for rare & one-off vintage cars, including Ferraris, nearly 25 years.
    I have personally packaged and shipped hundreds to all over of the world and as far I know, none have arrived broken.

Only time I’ve received a call from a buyer saying the windshield having arrived broken was about 15-20 years ago and it was packaged by my assistant whom I explicitly trusted having done it exactly same as I package them.
    I just apologized to buyer for the inconvenience of the delay this caused and promptly offered to package shipped him a replacement with expedited service. The buyer sounded shocked by my immediate offer and willingness to do this.
    I also asked if he wouldn’t mind photographing the damage and the package as it might help me/us prevent similar mishaps in the future. Couple of weeks later I received a thank you letter and a photograph showing the damage.
    That picture revealed couple of interesting things. First, it didn’t include the shipping crate or entire windshield in or next to it. It only showed a close-up of damaged area on A windshield or glass and closer study of the photo made me realize it wasn’t even one of mine, so I became convinced there had been nothing wrong with our packaging at that time either.
    That buyer just BS’d me to get an extra new windshield. Oh well, lesson learned.

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Sorry to have to contradict this, TTR. Tou were lucky if it never happened to you. The packaging of the screen send by Gto was perfect. They put the screen on special carton stands, wraped it in air foil and had styropor chips around. The box was marked in several ways - caution, this side up, etc. Nevertheless DHL managed to destroy it which is a shame as it was an original, not a repro. One can clearly see at the box that it was not treated with care.

BR
    Chris

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so then the box was not strong enough?
    was the box not made of wood?
    and styropor chips all around will damage the windshield when there comes some pressure on the box when this is not made of wood

14. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Strong box. Screen wrapped in air foil, seated on special made carton stands. Additional chips. It was really packed professionally and it clearly states how to handle it.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry to disagree Chris, but one should always prepare for worst when knowing others are involved with handling fragile cargo. Shipping carrier employees may not cause damage deliberately, but we all know accidents, carelessness and other unexpected things happen, so not preparing for those ahead to prevent damage is just not smart practice.

For example, and I know this sounds crazy, but about 25 years ago when I was preparing to ship one of my first specialty production windshields to a customer, after packaging one in the fashion I deemed necessary for safe transportation, I loaded the crate on to my truck, had an assistant drive slowly while I was on the bed and threw the crate off the truck as hard as I could, which forced it to flip over several times once it landed, after which we drove the truck against the crate at about 5 MPH.
    All this just to see if my packaging concept was adequate.
    I believe it was and have used it since to ship hundreds of windshields and other glass without damage to every continent on the planet.

P.S. Romano, I wouldn’t recommend using (loose) styrofoam chips for this type of shipments as the shape and weight of the glass can allow or push them to move around inside the crate...

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Besides, I could probably write a book of all the sad stories I’ve heard from people having received damaged glass from other “professional” suppliers...

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I also said, only with other words

TTR likes this.