Arrangement with dealership: When will Ferrari stop making 812 Superfast? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Arrangement with dealership: When will Ferrari stop making 812 Superfast?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by gowthamn, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    You could always buy a used GTS in a couple of years. ;)

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My friend you may not like this advise. Buying very late into the 812sf cycle is the fastest way I can imagine to lose the most money on a Ferrari that you don't really want. Keep your GTS order and if it doesn't get you an allocation then revisit at that time. You will lose hundreds of thousands pretty quickly on a new SF I'm afraid unless you love it and keep it forever. A really great car but this dealer has no obligation to do anything and is guaranteed to sell an SF after the GTS and VS are upon us not to mention the used SF that will be on sale at that time.

ANOpax, Caeruleus11, ScottS and 3 others like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm slightly confused. Why not? Your dealer won't let you spec an 812SF either if you want a new one?

4. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    He is fine with SF. He is ok to take a non refundable deposit for it and place an order. But others here are telling that the SF is much cheaper used. So just thinking.
    Sent from my SM-G975U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The V12 cars do drop off quite steeply at first, so yes, you can find used cheaper. I was merely thinking that it sounded like a new car of your own spec was important and it was not possible with the SF either.

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You will save a lot of money if you buy used. The 2019 812 I was looking at a few weeks ago has been marked down another $20k to $360k from $380k on a $419k spec. That's a nice saving on a car that was only delivered last April. You can also get a new car off the floor from time to time, they either have demos they will sell or a customer doesn't take delivery of an ordered car. That is how I got my first Ferrari, it was one someone ordered and then couldn't pay on delivery so I bought it untitled.

On my 488 Spider I bought it with 100 miles six months after delivery. I paid $10k over MSRP for it but I got it right away. Now used 2018 Spiders can be had for $275k. If / when I trade it on the 812, I don't think I would get more than $250k. I lost $65k on my 2017 Cali T HS trading it for the 488 Spider, cost me $240k new and I traded it for $175k only 14 months later. You will lose money no matter what Ferrari you buy, you will not be allowed to buy a Ferrari you might not lose money on if you are a new buyer. Just buy the used one and enjoy it. I doubt you will get a GTS allocation.

I am not sure I will even though I bought the Portofino and am ordering a new SF. I will probably lose my ass on that as well and I do care but I don't like the specs that are on sale so I went ahead and spec'd my own which at least is already at status 30. That's the good part about it, I will be able to enjoy it for at least a year before I get the GTS allocation, if I do.

7. Jashmair

Jashmair Rookie

Aug 3, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Jashmair Jheeta
    I'm based in London and HR Owen, my Ferrari dealer has informed me yesterday that all orders for a 812 SF have to be submitted to Ferrari by the 19th of Feb 2020 in order to get it built, that's the cut off point. All cars will then be delivered to all clients by the end of this year.

8. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Now my dealer is screwing with me. I said I am OK to buy a new 812 Superfast as per my spec, but he says there are no allocations now!! And he wants to to buy the 812 Superfast which he already has !!.

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    2 weeks ago US dealer said "nobody is ordering 812 SF anymore" and getting order in for one now difficult at best.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I talked with other dealers and they said if I put a deposit then Ferrari will give an allocation for the 812 SF.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds like you need to work with one of those dealers instead.

gowthamn likes this.
  12. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I heard that I cannot buy new cars from another Ferrari dealer if there already is 1 Ferrari dealer within 100 miles from my house. Is it true?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I'm not in the US,but I know of several who toss that rule to the wind. Not sure how real it is, or if it is just something some dealers use to play their games. Have any of the dealers you've spoken to said they won't sell you a car? Why not just go to the one that you feel the most comfortable with, tell him that you wish to support his business and shop there. If he asks you why you wish to use him, tell him you're feeling taken care of and that your local dealer is a tosser. Okay, maybe not the last bit, but you get the idea.

The US system is so idiotic.

gowthamn likes this.
  14. itsasickness

itsasickness Rookie

Dec 11, 2016
    My order for the 812 SF was just called by the factory. I need to commit now if I want it and the GTS promised (if I order the SF). My dealer told me the SF order requests close this month. The GTS is scheduled for production after the August break.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    not true, I use a dealer in the UK that could not be further away from me, there must be at least 8 that are nearer.

deltona likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It has never been an issue in the OK or Europe. It's yet another silly thing made up by US dealers and probably FNA. In the rest of the world you can choose your dealer as you see fit. But like I said, I suspect you can in the US too. It's just a question of not letting a dealer drsg you around by the nose.

17. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Demand is underwhelming due to price most likely. I don't think the 812 was poorly received as a product per se, more so as a product that's $400K. That's a lot of money to ask for diminishing returns on performance.

chris0315 and Thecadster like this.
  19. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    yes there are great deals out there on the SF cars...

20. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    22% drop over a period of what, 18 months? Sounds like normal car ownership to me, I don't really see what the big deal is. People have been too used to not losing and it's unrealistic now.

Dubaicity likes this.
  21. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    As far as I know it is still possible to order a 812SF and delivery is 12-14 months in Italy . Furthermore I heard from a reliable man 812 SF will be produced at least up to 2022. In fact F12 has been presented early 2012 and end of production mid 2017 . 812 SF has been presented early 2017 and production end of 2017 , then following the same means end of production mid 2022. Ferrari just started to design the car will substitute 812SF . Normal period from design to present model to the market is 2,5-3 years . Last but not least 812SF allocation is possible with 12-18 months delivery time

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MDEL and gowthamn like this.
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    62 SFs for sale in the US on the official Ferrari stock list, starting at 325k USD asking price. A 300 miler up for less than 330k. It’s normal used car depreciation, actually better than many, but in the Ferrari V12 world that seems rapid, and a lot of stock around. What are these sellers trading on to, I wonder? There’s no obvious replacement if you’re a V12 junkie. They can’t all have just taken delivery of their GTS.

23. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Even in Italy there are 23 812SF for sale but asking price is very close or higher than MSRP . The reason why there are so many is double : first There are many owners who bought 812sf just for having an allocation for limited series as Pista and They feel free now to sell 812 after allocation .
    Second , there are so many trying to sell 812 SF because they had an allocation for a 812 GTS . Same thing is happening with 488 , so many on the market because they have an allocation for a F8 Tributo or Spyder

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MDEL and RamsHmb like this.
  24. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    I did what a previous poster recommend and picked up a 2019 with only 200 miles for $450k list and saved about $75K in hopes to be able to order a GTS later. Hope I don't lose my A.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    I did what a previous poster recommend and picked up a 2019 with only 200 miles for $450k list and saved about $75K in hopes to be able to order a GTS later. Hope I don't lose my A.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app