ROSSO CORSA METALLIC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ROSSO CORSA METALLIC

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MANDALAY, Jan 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    That Dullness is something I hate on Solid reds.

2. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I saw what was then the new 488 in RCM and only noticed it was metallic when I got close to it. It just looked like a really nice RC. Triple layer paints are a different story and really pop

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    There is the Rosso F1 2007 which is a tri layer very close to Corsa. But yes, Rosso Corsa completely flattens the surface of the car. On the older cars this was not a major issue, as there weren't as many "hidden" lines in the sheet metal. On these modern cars it looks terrible. There's also the fact that the Rosso Corsa colour has changed over the years. Look at some of the late Daytonas. They look almost orange while the Rosso Corsa (Glasurit FER-300/12) is a darker muddy red painted on the F40. The best is definitely the Glasurit FER-300/6 which is by far the deepest and cleanest looking RC of them all. By comparison, the current PPG looks almost a bit milky.

The metallic will help a tiny bit, but the difference is not huge - and I do have a pretty good eye for colours and contrast.

Why so set on Rosso Corsa? There are so many other more interesting reds out there - and a heap of Rosso Corsa Ferraris with either Nero or Cuoio interiors. Not that interesting anymore imo.

4. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    I love the RCM color and it's quite a bit more playful that RC non Metallic. Another gorgeous option is the Grigio Titanio which has no upcharge at all. It's a standard Metallic color and really nicely accentuates the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    #30 mytoys, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Agreed. I felt the same re RC so the ladies at Taylormade guided me to Rosso TRS for my TDF. It is a multilayered paint, very metallic and doesn't have the orange the Formula 1 has. The color really pops.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RICKYCRETE likes this.
  6. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    #31 mytoys, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The GTO and speciale are both RC. You can tell an obvious difference in person.

PTG1 and tickerhound like this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Nice collection and garage!

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
  9. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #34 DK308, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Mytoys I think you hit the nail on the head. If the OP wants a Rosso Corsa type colour with lots of metallic play and the depth of a tri, Rosso TRS would probably be a great choice.

There's of course always the big spender solution. Get a custom colour made by asking Ferrari to take the Rosso Corsa and make it a tr or quad layer while giving it a serious dose of either pearls or metallic flakes. You'll even get to name your own paint:)

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Im not really looking at a very metallic colour. Just wanted the RC to pop just that little extra.
    Dealer said that the RCM will give a better depth than the RC. Hopefully ill get to see a spider 488 this weekend in the RCM.

BTW mytoys great garage and collection !!!!!

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    There was also another reason im considering the RCM is the fact that its a metallic therefore has a clear coat.

With all the cars ive ever had I have always noticed that clear coated paint jobs were better than solid colours.

Could it be the extra cost for this and the tri is because they finish them better ?

12. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    I didn't notice this. I've had many RC cars and the paint seemed great. With RCM, if you don't look for it, you will not notice a difference. The valet guys at my golf club parked my RCM spider for over a month and didn't notice until I pointed out to them. Question is whether it is worth 12k to you.

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Thank you.

Definitely seeing both RC and the RCM side by side on the weekend as the dealer has both of them. Looking forward in seeing the difference

14. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    All modern paints are two stage paints with a clear coat. I can't exactly remember when they sopped the single step paint process, but I think it was in the early to mid 90's. They can't do those single stage paints in large volumes anymore, as there are several environmental issues with them. In terms of the Rosso Corsa end the depth of it, the clear coat does not do anything for it. The Glasurit FER-300/6 which is a single stage paint from the early 80's is a much deeper and better looking Rosso Corsa than the current PPG two stage.

The new metallic RC is a bit more vibrant, but don't expect miracles. It will still flatten the surface somewhat as it is not really that metallic in the flesh.

As for finishing them better? No. All Ferrari paint jobs are a hit'n'miss thing and generally most need a good correction after delivery. It does not matter much if they're painted at the factory or at Zanasi either. The tri layers are more expensive because there's an extra layer to spray and also more detail work in between. However, it only costs 30k extra because it's Ferrari. It makes as much sense as a 4k cup holder made from wet carbon fiber. Some of the out of range colours are just more expensive because, well they're out of range I guess. They are two stage colours just like all the others. I don't know if this is the case for the RCM, but the newer colours like BI, Rosso Cali and Blu Cali are a new type of water based paint. This being Ferrari could easily mean a mark up in price. Some say these paints are tri layers as well, but I've also be told they're not. And the fact that they don't cost as much as the tri layers, points to the fact that they are in fact also two layer paints. In other words. Why would one metallic tri layer be 30k more and the other metallic tri layer "only" be 12k more?

alibo70 likes this.
  15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Well the option is like 20 K here in Australia. Needless to say I didn't ask the tri layer price.

Saw the 2 cars side by side and I can see the difference and especially with lights and the sun. Looks a bit deeper something that I really want. The Metallic is very subtle , which I like.

Worth 20 K ? for me well yes as I can see the difference and I like it.

16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Side by side you will always see a difference. Just like two diamonds of difference color side by side. But alone not as much. If you love the color that much go for it.

17. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Very good and agreed. It's a subtle difference but noticeable and makes Red look great on the 488

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. iconic ferrari

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Callan
    Could you tell me the paint code for your RC Metallic?

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Rosso Corsa Metallic is fine (small) and is a bit darker than regular Rosso Corsa but you need bright sunlight to bring out the difference between the two colors. Your dealer will have the number and and a color plate example for Rosso Corsa Metallic.

20. iconic ferrari

May 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Callan
    Not going through a dealer. Just need the paint code to repaint a car.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. RICKYCRETE

RICKYCRETE Rookie

May 14, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    RICK
    AMAZING!!!

22. Kenny Glorioso

Jan 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kenny G
    All, I bought a used 488 with Rosso Corsa metalic paint. I also have an F430 with Rosso Corsa NON-metalic paint. The metalic flakes are difficult to see, but the metalic color is definitely deeper blood red. The metalic paint is amazing looking; it "pops" and is a show-stopper. Here's a closeup picture of both colors side by side. As you can see, the 488 on the left is deeper red. Note that the difference is much more noticeable and the metalic paint is much more desirable in person. Hope this helps you spend your money. :)

PTG1 and stavura like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I did spec my 488 GTB in RCM :)

Well worth the spend for me as I wanted RC but hated that it looks dull at angles. The RCM just pops.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 488 !

adall, PTG1 and of2worlds like this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I've seen it a lot by now. I'm in the group that don't think it's worth it. Only thing I will say, is that like all Ferraris with Ferrari paint jobs, it varies a great deal how evenly and with how much metallic flake is in the paint and how evenly it is distributed. I've seen cars where the rear looked like a disco ball and the front was almost solid colour. Generally speaking, I don't think there's a big difference.

Coincid likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You will barely notice the metallic. The point I make is the RC is flat at certain angles something IMO that I totally dislike but like the RC shade. So if one really wants the RC but to look shiny at all angle the RCM is the better option. Admittedly is it worth 12 k in the States ? To me yes because I appreciate way way more than any carbon.

of2worlds likes this.