430 - Sline vs Kline | FerrariChat

430 Sline vs Kline

Discussion in '360/430' started by bupilot, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Has anybody had both an Sline x-pipe and the Kline x-pipe/muffler combo installed on their F430 that could give thoughts on differences with sound between the two (Kline running through the x-pipe). Of course there are other factors that could influence such as cats and headers but hoping someone out there has done both and could share thoughts.

Jason

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Hopefully this thread will gain some traction.

My preference is catless headers and the S-Line x-pipe in the rear is the best match of pitch and volume to an F1 like sound. My goal was to mimic the F355 with Capristo (stage 1 or 2) as close as possible on a more modern Ferrari.

These parts get interchanged a lot, one style of header, another style of exhaust, back to back comparision may be rare/not found without spending lots of time on YouTube.

Attached Files:

sherpa23 likes this.
  3. Dnewmar1

Dnewmar1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    I have the Kline X pipe exhaust mated to test pipes and Fabspeed headers

it’s not F1 exact sounding like the S line which is way higher pitched

the Kline sounds in between F1 and Scuderia

more so Scuderia sound just a bit louder without cats

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I have the Kline system with test pipes & Fabspeed headers as well. The Kline and the S-line sounds the same. They are both X pipe configurations.
    I my option....where they differ is the adjustability and the quality. The Kline is really 2 systems. It incorporates a wireless remote to open and close valves. It has 2 independent pipes that runs all the way through to the tailpipes...it depends on open or closed setting. When the valves are closed it runs through a muffler. It's really quiet..... Some say more so than stock. When open it runs through the X-pipe and it's loud!...again, they run on different pipes when this happens.
    Quality....the Kline is far better. It's a 2 piece system. It has great welds, fitment and quality. Only draw back is that you have to take the rear bumper cover off to install. The S-Line is simple and consists of 5 Pieces. It does not and cannot be valved. I'm also not too fond on how it is put together. The only advantage the S-Line has ...to me... is installation and weight. Also, I can justify the cost on the S-Line.

Hope this helps.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/kline-innovation-exhaust.555482/

unreelviper likes this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011

False.

Kline sounds significantly different than S-Line, largely in part due to the different x-pipe layout and the difference in material/resonance (inconel vs ss).

The S-Line xpipe is FAR higher pitched on wot and more closely aligned to NA f1 cars of yesteryear. Kline is literally the sound of stock, just louder with a slight change in pitch.

Sky Hye likes this.
  6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #6 Flea7, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Highlighted in red is laughable. I"ve heard both side by side...on the road... IN PERSON. You saying that an X pipe ...S-Line is "closely aligned to NA F1 cars of yesteryear" is ridiculous. LOL . Both sound similar and honestly....both close to but really can't compare to a NA f1 sound.

Mine is Stainless...just like S-line. Again, you don't know what your talking about.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    They both sound nice but the S-Line is a lighter set up, which matters greatly to me.

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    yup....that it is. The Kline has significantly more material.

9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Listing to clips back to back, they do sound similar with one important caveat. The Kline is much louder with paired with headers. You get the pitch, but you also get the trumpeting too.

Advantages of S-Line, weight, cost (half), installation.
    Advantages to Kline, valved, quality of welds, can be dual purpose.

Flea7 likes this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Just to correct my original wording on S-line cost. I meant to say ....I can't justify the cost not can.

11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #11 sherpa23, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    I think they're different systems for different people. I personally don't like a valved system and so the S-Line is by far and away highly preferable to me. I love the sound and the simplicity and that's exactly what I want out of an exhaust system. That said, if you want a valved system, the Kline is really a top notch system and I think it's better executed than just about every other valved set up.

I do want to say a couple of things, though. Regarding the S-Line welds, Teague Oliver is a world class welder. I don't know if he is still personally welding all of the systems but he did for a long time and his welds are top notch. I do know a thing or two about TIG welding and while he's not the only super welder out there, I don't like that the post above infers that his welds are somehow inferior.

Lastly, as far as the S-Line price goes, I think that it's a pretty good deal. They are all hand made with the best quality materials and the fittings are all custom CNC'd parts also made out of the very expensive materials. None of this is off the shelf stuff. Furthermore, the system is continuously being updated. For a boutique builder to be able to offer all of this for a limited run of systems for a price that's somewhere around half of what a system like Kline's is, is no small feat.

It's okay to like another system more but I think it's important to be clear about the qualities of each system.

12. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I've got an S-Line, stock cats and AP catless headers. Trying to be as unbiased as I possibly can, I've yet to hear an exhaust on a 430 that is as high pitched and as reminiscent of F1 cars in the NA era. The quality is great and when gunning it up to 8500rpm I still can't believe the kind of sounds coming out of my car and this is not my first Ferrari nor my first V8 with high quality exhaust system. Dare I say it sounds better than a 355 I rode in which first got me hooked on Ferraris.

If your okay with not having a valved system, go with S-line. To my ears, there is nothing that sounds as good in person.

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #13 freshmeat, Jan 30, 2020
    If you say so. Laughable for me is I doubt you’ve ever had any other system on your car yet you discredit mine w extreme prejudice. Key distinction between Kline and S-line is mid to high rpm band (5k+), down low (under 4k) everything sounds pretty much the same duh. But regardless of how “close” you think they sound, objectively the S-line is the highest pitched of the two and I welcome any doubters to hear a flyby of my car in person (if you haven’t already).

Worth pointing out, Videos fluctuate from recording device to recording device so unless you’re benchmarking videos who recorded w the same mic it’s quite a hard comparison. I’m running powercraft 4-1 headers, powercraft 100 race cats & S-line xpipe and not sure if affects sound but I have full capristo headers and cat blankets.

For others who are curious here’s the ranking order of pitch of the various xpipe/muffler systems for the 430 Scuderia I’ve actually tried and owned (from highest to lowest):
    1) Kreissieg, valved (mode 2, worth mentioning manual indicates not for race applications)
    2) Sline
    3) Unobtainium and Agency tied at 3rd (no coincidence here since both copied the s-line layout)
    4) Fabspeed
    5) Tubi-style, muffler but not valved
    6) Kline
    7) Capristo, valved

Base 430 systems will sound different because it has more tubing and 4 exit pipes; generally the F430 has a deeper note than a Scuderia, stock for stock.

Sky Hye and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Prejudice...No..I just don't see what you're putting out is correct.

Meat..If you think that the Kline system is a louder version of the stock system...Well, I'll say it again...you don't know what you're talking about.
    The S-line and the Kline are pretty similar in sound. I would even say mine is even higher ...probably due to me not having a cats. They both sound good.
    I've compared both S-line and my Kline on the road.

I don't even want to talk about quality vs. price on the S-line...that would be another argument.

For the OP, factor in the weight, installation and option to have a quiet mode along with the sound. The cost is about the same. S-line was one of my options but honestly I didn't like what I saw in the quality and how it was put together. (no offense meat)

Also, the service of Kline is unmatched. Felix, even in Romania, is responsive and timely with turnaround time...again, even from Romania.

For transparency....I do not work or have any affiliation with Kline or have receive any favors with them. Just a customer.

Jesse A Jernigan likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    KLine is definitely NOT like stock but louder with a slight change in pitch. If anything, it’s quieter with a clean distinct F1 sound. If you are not running 100 cell cats or a straight pipe, the F1 sound won’t be loud enough for you to hear.

I’ve heard enough Scud vids with S-Line to have an idea of what it sounds like and I personally, think they sound almost the same on WOT. The main difference to me is the F1 sound on the KLine is clean and crisp all the way through, while the S-Line sounds a bit raspy, but that could be due to recording or the volume is just too loud to capture it clearly.

What I love about the valved system is the refined tone on cruising. It is just clean sounding all the way through.

With 100 cell cats it sounds about 85% as good as a 95 355 with straight pipes and a Capristo. I say 95 MY specifically as it does sound more raw than later years. It is the best sounding one imo (and the one I have).

Straight pipes are on the Scud now (previously had 100 cell cats) We’ll see how it sounds when it is ready to get back on the road, but so far, Kline was the right choice for me.

Carboy219 likes this.
  16. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have listened to a few videos of s line and kline… to me ...the kline sounds cleaner.... I do like the option of valves... but just sound to sound... I would go with the Kline...

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #17 freshmeat, Jan 30, 2020
    Shrugs.

Maybe because you're is stainless while the unit I installed on my car was inconel; inconel was definitely not as high pitched as s-line. Felix is definitely responsive, and is the only reason I ordered a system to try out despite durability concerns my local car shop had from prior installed products failing inexplicably. Mine had no issues, the 3 weeks I had it on the car, just wasn't as high-pitched.

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    which material/system are you running? and is this a scud or F430?

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Yeah,,...this explains it.
    As mentioned in the above quote ...mine is stainless. The inconel system does have deeper tones.

20. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Thanks to those who shared their opinions and first hand knowledge of both. I’ve had the sline but a valved system has become a priority for certain, ahem, family members that don’t want to be assaulted with engine music every time they ride. All jokes aside, one of these is my daughter whom I picked up one day from school, didn’t know she had a bad headache and I really wished I could have quieted things down for her. The comments I hear from Kline owners do give me hope I can get back some of the higher pitch I miss without the sline with the bonus of keeping things quieter when needed.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  21. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Should also add that I get to see stainless welding all the time where I work and while having no ability to weld stainless myself, was very impressed with welds on the Sline and overall quality of the product.

22. awashi123

awashi123 Rookie

May 28, 2007
    I absolutely agree 110%!! The Teague Oliver produced S-Line exhaust has got to be the most ear splitting(in a fabulous way), high pitched F-1 sounds on the market - bar none. I owned a '99 355 F1 and it was super fabulous in terms of sound; however, the sound of my S-Line F430 at anything above 3500 rpm is pure earth shattering (and that opinion comes from other Ferrari owners who've heard it)!

FSM348 likes this.
  23. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    While the S-line might have one of the best high-pitch sounds on the market i found it to be obscenely expensive. As somebody pointed out it´s just some welded steel pipes and yes, i know that it´s world class welds. Aside from that you don´t get a muffler nor do you get exhaust valves. S-line will also not budge on the price. I got a full IPE system instead for a couple of thousand more discounted.

Flea7 likes this.
  24. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Are you saying research and development have no value in determining price of a product?

As you said yourself it has one of, if not the most, amazing sounding notes in the market. I figure a lot of effort went into tuning that system and not to mention the fact that it’s a very low volume market. Where does a manufacturer make the cost of production and R&D back on low volume sales? Saying it’s just some steel with nice welds gives the impression that you think a product is only worth its value in materials. If that’s true we have all overpayed for our smartphones by a factor of 10.

I think $3500 is worth the sound and emotions the exhaust creates but to each there own.

25. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Well there are lots of quality products on the market for other car brands that are much cheaper with the same amount of R&D put into them. Everything that has to do with Ferrari includes a lot of Ferrari tax. Also when i reached out to several exhaust suppliers i learned that there is a lot of margin for discount.