Ignition and Door Keys | FerrariChat

Ignition and Door Keys

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1ricardo, Jan 29, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1ricardo

1ricardo Karting

Nov 14, 2012
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Baptista
    Dear Friends,

I have just bought a 1978 308 GTS and the transportation Cia. that I hired LOST the keys for the car
    Now the car is in my driveway with the steering wheel locked and I have no keys!
    So I wonder what to do now and have a few questions :
    1-) It's possible to make theses keys to match my ignition lock system and doors?
    2-) Is the door the same key for the ignition ?
    3-) Does any body know where I can find a locksmith to make theses keys ( I'm in Fort Lauderdale) but any where in USA is a start
    4-) How do I remove the ignition lock system If needed?

Thank you all for the help

Ricardo

2. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Have you checked the car thoroughly.
    Truck drivers have a habit of hiding keys under sun visors, door pockets, consoles, under seats, even hidden in the boots of cars.

Ianjoub likes this.
  3. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You give your local Ferrari dealership a copy of your title, VIN number, and driver's license and they can make you up a set of keys.

Crowndog likes this.
  4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Any competent locksmith with the correct blanks can make keys. They'll make the door key first. If it works in the ignition, they are done. If not, pay them for 2 key cuts. Probable about $100, cheaper than the Ferrari dealership route.

5. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Correct blanks can be sourced from eBay.

Ferrari 308 KEY BLANK SET. Ignition AND Door/Gas keys. 308GTS 308GTB

The seller is obertro. They’re nice keys. I bought a set as an extra for just such an issue.

6. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    On my '84 QV it is a different key for the door compared to the ignition. Totally different type of key :)

7. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Yes... door and ignition are different keys however I believe both are made by a company called ILCO and believe it or not your basic Ace Hardware carries it

8. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I don't think the dealer can cut a key from a VIN number from that old a Vintage

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I had some door keys made for my ‘69 Alfa Spider. Bought correct ilco blanks. Took out lock mechanism and left it with the locksmith as it requires some trial and error to get it right. From memory he had to disassemble the tumblers to determine cuts. A week later picked up keys and they worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Hi I have the folding key blanks an the Door/gas door keys let me know if you are interested

11. 328GTSinPA

328GTSinPA Rookie

Dec 22, 2019
    PA
    Full Name:
    David Felker
    Are the door/gas key blanks the original Torino SAFE keys?

12. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
  13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh boy..they need to FIND them, you are in the hurt locker, now.

Door key as above is the least of your worries.
    The ignition key is different.

Extra set at sellers house maybe?

I had a locksmith "feel the pins" and make a key, but he ruined the lock doing it.

MAYBE if you had the Books the dealer wrote the key codes in the Warranty Coupon Book.
    Look there?

This is really terrible, but as you can tell I lost the "only keys" once and had to work thru it all.

I ended up pulling the ignition switch entirely and getting it to a local Safe and Lock company
    Same procedure with the doors but truthfully I would buy new locks and keys and call it a day there.

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ilco Ferrrari keys for a 1978 are like $3

Neiman blanks are pricey if you have to have them...

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba

Yep, if they scatter the "rooftop pins and springs" they can do anything they want....

16. 1ricardo

1ricardo Karting

Nov 14, 2012
    Brazil
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Baptista
    Dear friends,

Thank you all for the Help and the input!
    I called my local Ferrari dealer and apparently they are able to make some keys ( they charge me U$ 238.00 for the ignition key)
    Mean while I bought a set of blank keys from Obertro. Turns out the Ignition is all the same but the door/gas key has 4 different options model 1,2,3 or 4
    So let's see what Ferrari Dealer has to say to me on Monday...
    But again,
    Thank you all for the help!

17. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you can pull the ignition switch off, it will unlock the steering wheel then you can start the engine using a screwdriver.

18. Lwignall

Lwignall Rookie

Sep 3, 2022
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Luke Wignall
    For those that land here, Oberto is still sourcing, quick, inexpensive, and super helpful. Plus, my passenger door was keyed differently, or at least not working, and Bill from Maranello Motorworks had a locksmith who easily repinned it to match drivers side.

However, after brilliantly cutting the ignition key, Ace butchered the door key. Since I had the blanks they did it for free, not that this helped with the second key. Oberto just sent me more blanks, and off we go again…

corey1 and dyerhaus like this.
  19. dyerhaus

dyerhaus Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2012
    Santa Rosa, California
    Full Name:
    Christopher Dyer
    I'll second that! My car (fortunately) still had both sets of its original keys — a 1975 308 GT4. So I bought two sets of the blanks form Oberto and had a local locksmith cut them. Everything was smooth! In fact, the locksmith thanked me for bringing in the key blanks as they didn't have anything similar (which is crazy as they had a huge wall of hundreds of key blanks behind the counter). Anyway, Oberto was fast, responsive, and very helpful. Now I use Oberto's keys all the time, and only take out the original keys when it's show time!

corey1 likes this.
  20. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Key update all the keys are sold