what is the best battery | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what is the best battery

Discussion in '360/430' started by fabo, Jul 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Steve, have you no shame?

(I'll actually contribute to this thread later today, but I was embarrassed for Steve.)

2. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Shame??? What are you on about!

3. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    OK - Back to our regularly scheduled programing.

I have a 355, but I did a search a couple of days ago about batteries and found this thread. It "appears" to me that the 348, 355, and 360 all use the same battery. Someone put a standard lead-acid in my car probably 4-5 years ago.

I don't trust middle aged Italian electronics, so I thought that it was important to supply the best juice available. Optima used to be the battery of choice, but the consensus is that they are having some quality issues. From my talks and studies it seems that AGM technology (Optima uses it) is the way to go.

I have used the same battery supplier for the last 30 years in Sausalito, CA. They are primarily a Marine supplier. If you know anything about the Marine environment, it is TOUGH on batteries. I approached them with "What do you have/recommend?"

Since the whole car was apart, I asked for a house call. The guy brought three batteries. The first was a bit bigger than OEM, but looked like it would fit. It didn't. He next tried a bit smaller than OEM, but with OEM specs. That didn't quite fit either. Kinda like Goldilocks bears, the last was "Just Right" with better than OEM specs. All were AGM, but guess which was the most expensive? ($270) If you want to save some money, you might try Batteries Plus; they now carry AGM, AND you can print a $10 coupon.

The battery had his house brand on it, but for you, I asked who manufactured it. The answer was "East Penn". When I googled that, I came up with the brand, Deka, so it should be available more or less anywhere. The magic code on my battery is Group MB48, AGM Exact Fit.

4. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Ok - listening to advice I should have checked the dimensions before buying this.
    I don’t know what battery may have used but it’s not the 34r-pc1500 I bought.
    This is super dangerous. Too tall and too deep - the lock down bracket does not fit and the first Blunce you hit this thing is going to be grounded to the support bracket at the top (it sits directly on top of the post).
    Would love it know who’s actually used this battery in a 360).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    Doesn’t fit the 360.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Longer J hooks are needed on many AGM applications. Mine did.

7. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    360? would love to see pictures - the J hooks aren't the issue- I can buy a new set of those - it's the clearance on the terminals - I am not even sure I can connect the positive terminal without grounding out on the cross bar--- I wonder if the newer ones have a modified size?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me. That is the battery recommended by Odyssey for the 360.

10. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
    is that the one you're running or just what you saw recommended?

I should have checked the dimensions before I clicked "order" ugy

11. Ballvice

Ballvice Karting

Oct 19, 2019
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Frank Ball
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This was changed recently. I had a less than pleasant conversation with Odyssey last year where they stated that the 34 group was the correct battery and I was in the wrong that their battery deep discharged within the course of a couple days (I had a PC925 that I had the audacity to leave off the tender for a few days) I also checked the website and ordered a (more expensive) 34-PC1500T based on the recommendation of the website. It was indeed extremely tight and a pain to get in, and I had to modify the holddown, I have aftermarket Kicker terminals with plastic covers. The fact that they changed it to 48 now really pisses me off, seems Odyssey doesnt have it all together. Wont be giving them any more business.

This was all AFTER I was forced to change my terminal clamps due to them swapping the sizes of the posts on the battery, not allowing me to tighten the negative post. My originals were beat up anyway, but that's not the point. I was at least able to use a bit of a discount on the 34 after I sent them pictures of the 925 that had been manufactured improperly.

Interstate all the way, I won't be messing with Odyssey anymore.

13. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    Interstate is my battery of choice

14. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got the 34R-PC1500T before the 48 recommendation. The 34R was a tight fit, no doubt about it. First, to make install a lot easier, remove the right hand bolt that secures the crossbar. Then push the bar up and somewhat out of the way. This way you have a bit more room to maneuver the battery, and the cables behind it. With the red plastic cap on the top of the positive clamp and some electrical tape wrapped around the bar as a second fail safe, the positive terminal will not short when you reattach the crossbar.