458 - Infotainment iPod Question | FerrariChat

458 Infotainment iPod Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Jan 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello to the group,

I recently added an old iPod I had with a nice playlist to my 2015 458’s infotainment system to get easier access to some of my favorite music. It works flawlessly, even though the iPod has not been used in years.

My question relates to “best practices” with the iPod and the battery tender when starting and storing the 458 in the garage.

Do you need to disconnect the iPod before starting? Will the Ferrari tender also keep the iPod charged between uses? Is it a good idea to periodically remove the iPod and charge it using the standard Apple wall outlet charger?

Will the 458’s parasitic battery loss be exacerbated by keeping the iPod plugged in all of the time? Any other bits or niggles that I need to know about using the iPod with the infotainment system?

Apologies in advance for my questions... Feel free to point and laugh, as I’m still a novice with Ferrari’s (I’ve been a hardcore SonderKlasse driver for the last thirty-two years) and I know I have a lot to learn!

Cheers,

Steve

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    An interesting question. As long as you keep your car on the tender I would not worry about the iPod's energy drain on the car. I've used three different iPods in my 458 over the last few years with no problems for the car as long as i keep it on the tender (CTEK 7002) between uses. Of the three iPods, though, one (iPod Touch from 2011) would not stay charged unless the car was running. I would turn the car on and the iPod would be dead until it could charge up. I have a 6th generation iPod Nano that has no problem staying charged, but it won't stay on 'random' if I switch between playlists. i have an original first generation Nano (from 2005) that works flawlessly. Of course, keeping the iPod charged all the time will eventually kill the battery in the iPod. If I unplug the current Nano it lasts about 10 seconds before it dies.

I keep my playlists on the iPod and my wife's playlist on the hard drive. That way I can easily switch to her playlist if she is with me in the car by tapping the button behind the right side of the steering wheel to switch sources without having to look at the menu.

3. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the information! I have an early pre-Nano style regular iPod, so it will be interesting to see how it works with the tender and in normal use.

I’m not sure how to counter the detrimental effects of always being on a charger to the iPod battery... Short of disconnecting it regularly (which would be a faff for sure), it may be inevitable.

I’ve burned a CD of a few songs and loaded it into the disk changer, but I want to try a music DVD. Hopefully, it is significantly better than a regular CD in the available interior soundscape.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Just copy your iPod playlist to a usb thumb drive and then copy it to the hard drive. In my experience, directories on the thumb drive will correspond to playlists on the hard drive. I use both the iPod and hard drive as sources and they sound decent.

5. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Use a bovee (iPOD to Bluetooth) then you can play from your phone (iTunes or Spotify)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    My experience with the Bovee has been poor. Disconnect/reconnect Bluetooth every time you get in the car, frequently disconnect/reconnect the Bovee from the cable. The iPod/Hard Drive gives me music every time without any intervention. I put a Bovee in my wife's Maserati and it worked flawlessly.

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Steve , I just left mine plugged in all the time in my 458 no issues in my 3 years of ownership. Best , Kirk.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  8. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for all of the information and options, you all rock! I took an awesome drive today after two days of non-use. The battery tender was on the whole time with the solid green light, but the iPod playlist was unavailable upon startup. After looking at the iPod screen, it was bingo on battery charge.

So, something is wonky or the gods of Ferrari infotainment are frowning on me... I left the iPod on and connected to the iPod cable in the glove box when I parked her.
    Before parking it, it worked flawlessly and it had a full battery charge. Two days later, the iPod was dead as Romulus.

Perhaps the iPod is running programs in the background and drawing down? Or, the iPod cable is unpowered when the car is turned off? I need to get the multimeter out and do some checking.

Whilst this iPod niggle may be a faff to get sorted, the 458 is simply magnificent!!! I cannot find the words to properly describe the 458... I just want to hug her every time I see her... Why did I wait thirty-two years to get a Ferrari? Why, why, why...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    That was the experience I had with my iPod Touch. It would only charge when the car was on. My two nano's stay charged when the car is off so I switched to those. If you figure anything out with your situation please share, I wouldn't mind having the iPod Touch as an option if it will stay charged.

10. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    On my 2015 458 spider I had issues but I recently picked up a 2015 458 spider and the bovee works flawlessly with both apple and android, they must have changed something with the 2015 as it works much better then expected
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rob5819 likes this.
  11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Same. Pos device I returned after a few days. Parked 3gen nano and never had an issue in my 458 spider. Daily driven but still used tender.

rob5819 likes this.
  12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I don't blame the Bovee, I mostly blame Ferrari. i took the Bovee out of my 2014 458 Spider and put it in a 2006 Mercedes CLK that I was giving to a family member (needed more space in my garage) and the Bovee was flawless. Just in case i had a bad Bovee, I bought a second one that also didn't work in the 458, but was perfect in my wife's Maserati GranTurismo Convertible. Fortunately the 2005 1st generation Nano I took out of the 2006 Mercedes has been flawless in my 458. Technology . . . (and I'm an engineer).

13. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    just started using Nano today, took a few minutes to figure how to access "play lists" which you do by going into Search Music on the screen. Nano works flawless , done with the dealing with the Bovee BS (not bovee's fault, it just for some reason isn't good w ferrari software)

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Never bothered trying the bovee in my other cars. Love that my iphone X syncs bluetooth streaming automatically 100% of the time with my Huracan displaying artist and title and 100% of the time with my Mini Countryman S even displaying album art.

I stream Spotify exclusively these days so while the Nano was an acceptable solution 6 years ago in the 458 spider, it wouldnt work for my current audio needs.

Technology, you said it.

15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well the results of my second test on using an old iPod Touch (not Nano) in my 2/2015 458 were interesting. Everything works flawlessly now! No more dead iPod... As soon as the car starts, the iPod list is available and playing the last (in process song). The first test ended in an epic failure with a dead iPod. (I thought that the iPod may be running programs in the background and that may have contributed to it's battery failure in the first test after only two days of non-use).

So, I went into the iPod Touch and turned everything off, email, notifications, weather, maps, location, absolutely everything that I could turn off except for the clock. Since the iPod would only be used to serve music, no other program was needed. After a few days, I fired Giada back up and I was greeted with Pavarotti's "Nessun Dorma" (Puccini) from the get go. Works a treat now without any loss of battery on the iPod. When I checked this morning, the iPod was fully charged after two days of non-use. Before, it was stone dead after two days of non-use. So, my ancient iPod is back in the saddle and sitting pretty in the glove box. If you're having infotainment problems with an iPod touch, give this a go. It worked for me! Cheers and Mahalo Nui Loa to all of you that helped me get this problem solved, you're the best!!!

rob5819 likes this.
  16. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Do you happen to know what model of iPod Touch you have? My 3rd generation Touch (model # A1318) does not charge in my 2014 458 Spider, unless the car is on. I have the Touch in airplane mode so it is not doing much of anything except playing music. The iPod battery will last about two weeks without a charge, but will eventually be dead if I haven't driven much lately. I left the glove compartment open and I can see the iPod switch to charging when I open the door. You should be able to figure out what model by looking at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217.

17. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Humm... No idea, but I will check it and update this thread. I have heard, (but I’m not sure if it’s correct) that the 2015 458 had some changes in the infotainment system that increased functionality with iPods. Cheers!

18. Gb78460

Gb78460 Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    BIGOT
    Hello
    I have to change the ipod cable of my 458 because the 30 pin connector is broken
    What if you can tell me where is the box to connect the ipod cable
    where in the dashboard
    what parts should be dismantled
    thank you

19. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apologies for not getting back on this…

My iPod is a IPod Touch, second generation model. It continues to perform flawlessly since I turned off every program that calls out (see earlier post). It remains fully charged for me, but I DD my 458 (most days) so no battery issues whatsoever.

I noticed on fleabay that these models are now selling for $15.00. I download the songs off the iTunes Store and they immediately pop up in my 458’s infotainment screen when the iPod menu is called up.

I can easily scroll up and down the playlist using the buttons on the back of the steering wheel. I’ve had my 458 for three years now and once I got the iPod sorted, it has never had a problem serving my music list.

Cheers!

rob5819 likes this.