458 - Please Help with Guestimate of 2014 458 | FerrariChat

458 Please Help with Guestimate of 2014 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chiaroman, Jan 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hello All,

I have been looking for a 458 for a year and this one has turned up. It is ticking all the boxes for me and I have am not sure what to offer the dealer.

I am hoping for around 175. I know I am probably dreaming but...any and all comments will be greatly appreciated. It is a 2014 with 3500 miles.

Thanking you all in advance for your expert help.

Internal colors
    BEIGE 4208

External colors
    ROSSO CORSA DS 322

NERO 152 (BLACK) carpet

RED BRAKE CALIPERS

CARBON FIBRE CENTRAL BRIDGE

LEATHER CENTRAL TUNNEL

BEIGE 4208

DATR
    CARBON FIBRE DASHBOARD INSERTS

ELEC
    ELECTRIC SEATS

CARB.FIB.STEERING WHEEL + LEDS

'SCUDERIA FERRARI' SHIELDS

MIH1
    INN.ELECTROCR.MIRROR+HOMELINK

YELLOW REV. COUNTER

20" FORGED DIAMOND RIMS

LEATHER HEADLINER
    BEIGE 4208

COLOURED SPECIAL STITCHING
    FILO SPECIALE NERO 4000

TYRES PRESSURE MEASUREMENT

UPPER PART IN COLORED LEATHER
    BEIGE 4208

2. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    #2 rmk40, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    I hate to confirm, but yes, you are dreaming at that price. You’re off by about 20k based on what I’m seeing 2014 Italias for that low mileage.

Keep in mind the only factor for resale cost is year, mileage and condition. Options may impact desirability (how quick it sells) but otherwise do not alter the price.

You need be looking at a 2012 model with around 10k miles to get in the 175k range. If any deal is too good to be true (listed well below other cars with same year and similar miles), then either it’s your buddy or too good to be true and is hiding an issue.

Edit: If you can land the car at or around 190k you’d be doing well, maybe start at 185k and negotiate towards 190k.

docf and SPOM13 like this.
  3. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It seems rather lightly optioned. How much was the original sticker? You may not be too far off but I'd guess closer to 185-190.

4. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    I don’t think it’s *that* lightly optioned. Average, good spec, not great not bad...not light, not heavy, IMO. Perfect for most. In terms of options missing that may end up being a problem in my eyes after having the car, you may miss the camera/parking sensors but you didn’t ask that you asked about price, you may already know all this and have your preference, all good.

in terms of price...not out of line trying for 180 (below that feels offensive), but I would think a good spec 14 with 3500 miles would be more in the 190-205 range.

5. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thank You All Again.

6. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    Most importantly - get the car with the spec and condition you want. You’ll regret saving a few bucks if you don’t land a car you love. Figure out your must have options, colors, etc and don’t settle. If you need to spend a bit more to do it, you’ll thank yourself later.

SPOM13 and Rory breaker like this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Seriously it’s taken you one whole year to find a red/beige 458 with those options?

How many owners? Clean Carfax and PPI?

Has all the right options, get off the bench and snag it assuming you’re not driving another exotic. $180-190K is fair but if you’re going to spend over $190k you can snag a low mileage 1-2 owner 488 for similar coin unless you’re dead set on Italia.

IloveGT likes this.
  8. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey

Actually, this will be my third Ferrari. I was looking for a Rossa Scuderia over beige and since that color is a not easy to find I am getting impatient and will purchase a Rossa Corsa.

I have an '04 Rossa Scuderia 360 manual with over 30,000 miles on it and I will keep that because it is a stick and offers a different driving experience.

So yes it has been probably over a year with visits to Algar in Pa, Ferrari of San Antonio, and Ferrari of Central NJ looking for a Rossa Scuderia. And calls to CNC in California, where I got the 360, and many other places.

From all that shopping all I really learned was that the prices can vary greatly and was merely asking for a starting point.

Thank You.

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Seems Rossa Scuderia is the most important option for you. If you didn’t find one in 12 months makes sense to go Corsa. Winter is a good time to buy. Prices can tick up with spring. If the 458 checks out don’t let a few grand get in the way of your dream. I always say the longer you wait the longer you wait. Will make a nice addition to the stick 360.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think the above is some good advise , I bought my 2014 458 spider back in Nov (from Algar) and I paid less than your number. Keep in mind I have bought (and sold) a lot of cars from Algar and my car had miles and other than the steering wheel it had no interior carbon fiber decorations. I have come to really dislike carbon fiber unless it is used in the construction (like a 4C) of the car. My car has none and for me that was a major plus, but I am sure that would not be to most buyers which I of course explained to them. I don't wait a year/years for a car (sometimes even days annoy me), but I also buy cars for different reasons than most people. You did not list the asking price which is important when negotiating, if the dealer is asking 200K, you are not going to get 25K off. Some dealers leave more room in the asking price than others, but normally 10K off asking price is easy to get. Good luck OP

11. Franchise1450

Franchise1450 Karting

Apr 20, 2019
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Franchise1450

I purchased a 2012 458 Tan/Rossa Corsa, most options, 5800 miles for $175K with 2 year factory warranty, 2nd owner from Ferrari Las Vegas. There would be almost no difference between this and a 2014 except for an extra $15,000 to $20,000, and i would venture mine is better than most 2014's and has factory warranty. Just for some reference. Also make sure the Tan has red stitching and daytona seats, it's subtle, but amazing look.

12. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thank You.

You have all been very helpful!!!

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i would say if you got $190 that would be amazing

14. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray

I can tell you that I have a 2014 with 8K miles in mint condition that was bought new at MSRP of $285 and asked the dealer for trade in value (not that I was selling but just for the heck of it) when my Pista came in and was told probably 200K but could be pushed to 210 if I was serious and mainly b/c they are in demand. Otherwise would be given 180-190.

15. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    Took me 1.5yrs to find my spec (also Rosso scuderia, on black, nearly fully optioned). I wish I could be less picky but I know the missing items would nag at me. I got into the 458 thinking I’d drive a year or two and onto something else, but now I would like to hold onto it long term, doesn’t seem like a car that makes sense to sell unless you have to. Meaning - if I had skimped and settled for a lesser spec, I would now be with a car long term that is less than perfect, or would be flipping that to again find the right spec. Moral of the story is, don’t settle, if this is your car, get it :)

16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    As I mentioned in the F8 thread, mileage is as/more important than year for resale.

I would rather get a 17 488 with 5000 miles than an 18 with 10000 miles.

You will keep the 458?

17. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    #17 rotate, Jan 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    I searched seemingly forever for my 2014 458 coupe that I just bought right before the holidays. It's a very loaded up example, black/black with 2900 miles one owner from a Ferrari dealer (same dealer that sold it new) CPO with 2 years of Ferrari powertrain extended warranty. Dealer treated me super well, when it came time to buy the understanding was that was at asking they'll include the warranty, otherwise the warranty has to be paid for separately. Given how many I missed out on and given the relationship I had formed with this dealer in the process of looking, I paid asking which was 200. It was more or less in range of what cars seemed to be going for at Ferrari dealerships. From a third party I could have gotten the car maybe as low as 180K but the peace of mind and ease plus the warranty and being my local dealer I decided to go for it. Hope that helps. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sure that I was being ripped off as I had never paid asking for anything before. But this dealer worked with me for months on trying to get cars from all over the place, gave me a level of service I'd never experienced before, and since I got the car have been awesome at addressing things for free that aren't covered under the warranty. This being my first Ferrari it seemed worth it as I thought max I was loosing maybe $10K vs what any other Ferrari dealer would have done. At least thats what I told myself. The only downside is I actually drive the car a lot and I was not bothered by miles (I was looking at cars with anywhere from delivery to 20k+ miles, I just really wanted the options I wanted and that severely limited my search) so now I have a super low milage car that I'm quickly racking up the miles on, but it is what it is.

Caeruleus11 and ScottS like this.
  18. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

You cannot get ripped off if it’s worth it to you. The relationship has value and you will see this value when you service the car or when you purchase additional cars.

I will say the dealer has to make their margin- I personally would like the sales manager and dealer principal to come over and say hello instead of turn and walk away.

If you love it, it’s worth it.

ScottS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and IloveGT like this.
  19. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I’m sorry, but I really don’t get this - you state that you spent 1.5 years looking for a car that you originally thought you’d only keep for 12 to 24 months.

To me that is a complete waste of time. If you had thought from the outset that this car was going to be a keeper, then I get the long wait to find the one that ticked every box, however if this was a transient car that was never going to get a place in your forever garage, what’s the point in waiting that long to find a potential unicorn car? You just buy the best car that most closely matches your ideal spec that is available at the time and then drive the wheels off it. Life is short, enjoy it to the max !

20. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    Or is it a waste of time to settle, then sell a car to get what you should have gotten in the first place? Had I followed your thinking, I would be selling a 458 and again on the hunt for the perfect one because I fell in love with the car but want the extras I wanted from the outset. So yes, instead of that nonsense, I was patient, I found what I wanted, I ended up liking it more than I thought, and will now keep it. Different strokes different folks, you do you I do me world goes round.

21. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    Ya find what you want and pay a little extra if need be. Ive never regretted it. If you “settle”, you may always have wished you waited IMHO. What you’re looking for I’ve seen over the last year over $200K and not much negotiation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

flash32, Graz and Rory breaker like this.
  22. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I agree that there is no point in settling for a car if your intention is that it will be a long term keeper. The point I was trying to get across is that, if the intention is to only keep a car for 12-24 months, then I personally don't see the need to keep searching for a unicorn car that has the right spec, you buy the best car you can, with the right spec for you at the right price for you at the time and enjoy it for those 12-24 months before moving on to the next one.

I get that I may be in a minority of 1 here, but that's just my view. If others want to spend time waiting for the right car to turn up, that's fine with me, as you rightly point out - you do you and I'll do me, it's the fact that everyone is different that makes this a wonderful world to live in, and this forum such a great place to swap ideas, views and perspectives.

In your case, you probably ended up doing the right thing by waiting for the perfect car, as it turned out to be a keeper :)

23. Rory breaker

Apr 17, 2017
    I realize this may be blasphemous to say, but to me, the hunt for the car is 40% the fun of having the car...I actually enjoy the pursuit. Maybe 30% ;) But it’s a lot of fun to me, hunting is part of the hobby, so that’s maybe a more unique element of my situation.

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought it would be fun, but then I got frustrated after finding cars that had "1,300" miles on them, but I would waste my time to look at them, just to find that the tires were replaced, the clear bra all pulled up on the edges, chips all over the place, worn out seat bolsters, and damaged/ missing screws on panel covers, etc. Basically looked more used than my 50,000 mile daily drivers. The hunt starts off really exciting, but gets old fast for me.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Not sure I can understand why looking for something is fun, you normal folks have some interesting habits. I stopped by Algar yesterday (and I will be there tomorrow to download the factory information before I tune my 458 (hate the touchy throttle). I saw at least a couple cars I thought were interesting, knowing me I'll probably buy another car tomorrow. To me looking for something is time I am not spending doing something else more interesting. At my age time is not something I have as much of anymore.