Anyone wish they'd gotten a Lusso T instead of a Lusso or vice versa? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone wish they'd gotten a Lusso T instead of a Lusso or vice versa?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sisiay, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    2 dealers and 3 independents here see more price erosion.

2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Sending PM, may have a lead for you.

Georgemaser likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you.

4. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    If you can, get the V12. It's the end of an era but a magnificent achievement and the sound of the V12 would make Mozart happy. You as well!

cavallouomo, sisiay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Forgive me for intruding. The Lusso V12 is a beautiful and sophisticated car and maybe the best 2+2 Ferrari ever. A candidate for the best all round car ever made? (The T is more nimble and practical, though this doesn’t make it a better Ferrari, though it may be the best combination of exoticism and practicality Ferrari ever makes). But dealers have no better predictive powers than the rest of us and also have a vested interest in minimising depreciation so they can sell cars. I have never heard a dealer say the market is about to tank on a certain car. 456s and 612s are still dropping, as are FFs and Lussos, and you have to look back several decades to see a 2+2 Ferrari that has done a J curve.

Still, there is no better everyday exotic than a Lusso. I would take a T as the nimbleness and torque work better in my life, and I can live without 4WD, but this V12 has magical powers if you can exploit it well and can broach 4000 rpm frequently daily.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the biggest issue, and reason not to choose the T, is the fact that you have to justify it. Yes, we can call it nimble, economical, torquey, better value etc. but fact is we are just making up reasons that would make us satisfied and accepting of the fact that we got the less exiting and fun car. Now the V12 on the other hand, needs no justification. It's just the natural choice if money allows. It does not have to be explained and you don't have to ever remind yourself why you chose it, because you just know. It's the no-brainer, it's the obvious choice.

As for the torque thing. Not sure I get it. The V12 has a snappier throttle response, and enough power to boil the rears at any given time - it is for all intended purposes faster than the T. It is super smooth and sedate to drive when you want it to be, so I don't agree that the T is better as a daily. The V12 fires up, purrs along and steps completely in the back ground when needed be. One can try and justify the V8 by saying it might be quieter or more docile than the V12, but I actually find that it has more of an intrusive drone inside than the V12, so so much for added comfort.

I don't see the point of the T if you can afford the V12.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cavallouomo, Jas, Themaven and 5 others like this.
  7. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    The main difference between the FF and the Lusso from the 612 and 456 is the latter are digital cars with bullet proof maintenance programmes, better built, more reliable and more economic and a far safer second hand purchase.

The 456 is a money pit, lovely in its day but very old school Ferrari with high service bills and even higher repair bills which started to frighten people off 15 years ago. Not ever going to be a classic, not a practical daily either hence the price dropped and stayed there because the market saw the 612 coming.
    The 612 is a fabulous car, good looking, very quick and bullet proof engine but it is the last of the analogue era with the basic single clutch box, fairly high service costs and very thirsty. My experience was single figures around town and 13 -15 elsewhere. The prices held up reasonably well until the FF was launched and for an early example FF in the UK in the popular colour combos at around 100k it represents around 40+% of new price after 8 years which in anyones book is not bad.
    The cheapest Lusso V12 in the UK is 170k for an early 2017 model with 10k mls which represents 62% of new at 275k (this spec) which again is not bad albeit big numbers. I think anyone waiting for them to drop significantly more will end up choosing between old press hacks and weird colour combos.
    Now they have stopped making the Lusso with the likelihood it will not be replaced the choice will be between a Lusso or the upcoming SUV which doesn't float my boat at all.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It will be interesting to see how the discontinuation of the Lusso and introduction of the FUV will affect the used market prices. Seems like there's quite a few not caring much for the FUV, so I wonder if that could help drive the 2+2 prices up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    The FUV, if and when it arrives, is more for none-Ferrari owners I guess....

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    I wouldn't bet in pricing going up for a car like FF or Lusso. Let's face it, at the end of the day this is more of a practical car than a iconic stylish masterpiece.
    Don't get me wrong, I love mine. But main reason why I bought it is, I can put the toddler in the back and I can throw the groceries in.
    Not really my chain of thought to approach, let's say a Scuderia.
    Therefore, Scuderia and other iconic cars have cycles that can go up and sometimes can go through the roof.
    As much as I would profit from it, I hardly doubt that for FF and Lusso.

Meanwhile, an FF for let's say 130k is, and that's why I brought it up earlier the most awesome bang for the buck. I wouldn't pay more to get a Lusso instead. But that's everyone's own decision! I personally safe the money towards a Scud.
    However, if money is no problem, of course the Lusso is nicer and more modern and convinient. But both are not collector cars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11, sisiay and Bamsefar like this.
  11. RealityCheque

RealityCheque Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Naples
    Full Name:
    Alex Brisbourne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    If getting an FF, then I'd try to go for 2015 on. Much better (albeit ex-Chrysler!) nav/entertainment and Apple Carplay was a common add in (at $5k!!). Also ,no pano roof before '15 models. Means anything has at least 2 years maintenance included and if you get from a dealer, they may throw in 2 years extended warranty for price of one year if you ask nicely (about $6k/year) for peace of mind.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    Wow, that's a beauty. I believe Pano was an option starting on '13 models, but became standard on '15/16? I have to say I've been surprised at how few Lussos I'm looking at were ordered with CarPlay, even ones with extensive option lists. But I guess not everyone really uses them as a daily.

13. RealityCheque

RealityCheque Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Naples
    Full Name:
    Alex Brisbourne
    Standard on16 models (though oddly you may find a 16 ordered without it as a delete), optional on 15. I don't think it was available till 15 in USA, but was from July 13 builds in Europe. My 2 cents - very worthwhile esp for those in the back! Re Carplay, I think folks get slightly annoyed at being charged the cost of a year-old Kia (with Carplay standard) for it as an option!. Good news is 15 on had real SiriusXM, not the lobotomized Sirius-only sat radio!

14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #64 635CSI, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    My fellow Lusso driver, with respect, I fear you are conflating “justification” with “debate”.
    I enjoy debating the merits of two very good cars but I no more need to justify my choice of a V8T to you than I need to justify my predilection for Ferrari to my local social justice/climate warriors.
    I simply believe the T is a better sorted car, particularly for what I want from a Lusso.
    Money was not a factor in my choice, I am a fan of V12 engines, I just prefer to enjoy them in my other Ferraris.
    Trying to shut down debate, by claiming there is a definitive answer for all people, could make this a dull forum.

mclaren slr and FerrariTexas like this.
  15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Re Car Play, yes indeed, the price (for something that comes for free on a Japanese shopping trolly) was ridiculous.
    I have it because Mrs 635 is more of an Apple loyalist than me.
    Fair enough, if it makes her happy, her input in the overall speccing of the car was after all a pleasure (theme: there is box, so lets tick it).
    In retrospect I also would have given the passenger display a miss, its only used when I’m in the shotgun seat, so rarely.
    I seem to recall though that in the UK it was a “compulsory option” !
    Only ferrari...

deltona likes this.
  16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I agree..but still, the T feels more nimble. It’s lighter and the engine weight distribution is different (less front biased) and the turn in is sharper. That makes a real difference for quick but not flat out driving. And it’s RWD, if you like that, at the limit. Still a strong argument to say the V12 is a better car, but I would take the T for my purposes.

both amazing and I think underestimated and underrated Ferraris.

635CSI and mclaren slr like this.
  17. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    Thanks all for the input. I’m happy to say I just drove home in my first Ferrari, a ‘17 v12 Lusso, and I’m beyond thrilled.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Congrats! Good choice. We need pictures :)

19. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
  20. sisiay

sisiay Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2019
    Encinitas, CA
    chris0315 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. FerrariTexas

FerrariTexas Karting

Aug 31, 2009
    Austin
    I like how sales refers to “bottoming” as a “plateau”.

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

WestCoasta likes this.
  22. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Actually both are rear biased and they are nearly identical (the V12 47%-53% and the T 46%-54%), so this argument doesn't stand up. According to Ferrari, the V12 is 75 kilos heavier (dry), which is only a 4.45% difference. The only thing that would make the T nimbler is the RWD layout.

Jas, ANOpax and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Scrolled through the last few pages to read buying result. Kudos and drive well. Don't know if another poster has mentioned that the Commendatore himself once proclaimed: - "a Ferrari is a twelve cylinder engine placed ahead of the driver."

sisiay and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I just knew the 288 GTO , the F40 and the Shark Nose weren’t real Ferrari, i had just forgotten why..;)

Radu, deltona and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    I drove the LussoT and FF. The FF stole my heart immediately. It seems to me that the v12 has a big soul and comes with loads of excitement. LussoT lacked in my opinion. I also live in Southern California and needed a 4 seater. I plan on getting a roof mounted ski box and taking the car and kids to the mountains.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cavallouomo likes this.