456 price trends | Page 3 | FerrariChat

456 price trends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Jan 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Completely agree on the OEM wheels. The 17s look underwheeled in modern terms. And beside the aesthetic, one can't get better tires in less than 18" size. I keep the OEMs for originality but prefer a set of 18" HRE 547s for actual driving and handling. Best would be a set of 575 Modulars but they're hard to find and rather steep in price. I live with my gaudy ball polished chrome 547s.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I loved the look of the Barchetta wheels on mine, but the stock wheels rode so much better for real, actual Grand Touring that I sold them. The tires are the same size as some C6 Corvettes, IIRC, so I was able to find several different tires that would work, even Pirellis.

4. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    After sampling many different tire brands and models over the years and openly acknowledging that each has had their time in the sun (including P Zeros...), I'm pretty much in the Michelin Pilot camp these days. Best performance in mixed weather conditions for street use and at or near the top in total grip, lateral, etc in the dry. That all said, R Comp slicks on my open wheel Formula Continental are sex on wheels.

5. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, I put P Zeros on my M, but now have Pilot Sports on my 360.

I'm going to look into that yellow manual M, BTW. It would make a nice mate for my yellow manual 360. Even the same year.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    456 gtma deserve more love

paulchua and killer58 like this.
  7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They do indeed. While I love my gated, this car is imminently well suited for a good auto as a GT. Plenty of time in traffic that I bemoan that clutch and would just kick back with an auto. It may not be a cool to some folks with an auto but it may well be a better car, more well suited to its purpose, with an auto.

paulchua and G. Pepper like this.
  8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the auto should get more love.
    however, there is a big difference.
    having driven both extensively, i can tell you that the characters of the cars are completely different.

the 456mgt genuinely feels like a very slightly less aggressive 550, whereas the 456mgta feels like a mercedes with shorter gearing.

the manual can be treated like a sportscar, whereas the auto is a cruiser all the time.

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Really? Huh. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    You're right, of course. The automatic is the weakest link. But Randy was still remarking about how neutral it handled. :)

paulchua likes this.
  10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you did well to take it on track George.!

but i bet you wish you could have controlled which gear you were on turn entry and exit ;)

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Randy Probst??

paulchua likes this.
  12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Yes, exactly, this is funny. For me the only "no-way" colour for 456 GT was/is red. :D

My very first car ever was a 1966 Jaguar E-type Series 1 2+2 and it was green inside and out side (ok, there was some black in the interior, dash, radio speaker covers etc.) IMO one of the BEST if not THE BEST colour ever for an E-type, "Opalescent Dark Green", very dark metallic green, looks really awesome to me and a Suede Green interior to match. :D (although more than 90% of people think it's BRG, so did the PO)

My current E-type is white, which I have never liked, but it was one of the most popular colour of that era, and I have learned to like it, although I think it is a bit boring (black interior) although when I occasionally have the original black hardtop on it, then it looks cool, IMO. (a 1972 V12 OTS)

Also some rare colours I almost bought (and somewhat regret I did not) were: a Daytona in "Prugna", a plum colour, almost purple. (in Italy in 2002) A 365 GTC/4 in some Brown (Castagna?) in 2008.

The ex Steve McQueen 250 GT Lusso is metallic brown and I just love the way it looks.

Back on the 456, to me all colours work well on it. Originally I wanted the dark blue with beige interior, just like the 1992 Bruxelles car show launch car was, but within a few months of looking for one (I was one live) I strated to think it was too "flashy" and too "candy". Just too much.

In the end I went with the best car I could find for the money and it happened to be a 1995 456 GT in Silver / Red. Argento Nürburgring / Connolly VM.3171, which to me is almost like a definition of "GT". A friend has a 250 GT/E in Argento Fumo / Red, same Connolly red, VM.3171.

I really like the 456 also in the very rare (I think I was told only 8 cars were painted that way) "Verde Mugello" green.

White is also very rare (only ever seen once in a photo) as I believe is the bright yellow on the 456 GT/GTA & 456M but I would not say no to one of those either. :)

Oh, I was 26 when I bought the E and I was 45 when I bought the 456 GT.

V12 manual is what I prefer.

Cheers!

paulchua, 500tr and G. Pepper like this.
  13. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Don't know his last name. He's an instructor with Edge Addicts.

14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You can't go wrong with silver on any Ferrari. My 308 is silver because, strangely, I don't care for red or yellow on that car.

Fennicus likes this.
  15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I really look forward to hearing your assessment of that car. Have fun!!

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got it. Probst is a pro sports car racer for many years. Excellent guy to boot.

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting thread to run across. I've been eyeballing 456's for awhile but not too serious about buying one for a bit yet. There was one on BAT not long ago but apparently some questions came up about it and it didn't sell. There are a couple for sale up in the ads here that have been tempting me. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread too.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    your best bet is to buy one from one of the guys on fchat that has sorted it all out.
    there are numerous threads on how to fix nearly all the issues known on this car.
    although it is rare for a guy to sort it all out and then sell, it does happen.
    that is the car to buy.
    but it will cost you more than the stated average price levels.

Jdubbya, Laserguru and G. Pepper like this.
  19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is really solid advice. Unless you really want to do it all yourself. Which is completely understandable. I love working on mine. There is a real sense of making progress and accomplishment working on these beauties. That is not to say that they can't challenge your skill set, ingenuity, or patience!!

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    As a counterpoint, I was very particular about the specs I wanted. So much so that I was willing to buy one with some needs and sort it.
    And that's what I did. I got 6 of the 7 specs I wanted, spent $10K to sort it, and the total ended up a little over market.

But I agree, that's not a good option for everyone.
    As a general rule, I think it's best to buy one that's been sorted.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I am a DIY kind of guy. When I first got my 308 I was scared to work on it. Then I thought, it's just a car, get to work. :) I'd like to find one that doesn't need a ton of work, but I'm also frugal so I may go that route. It all depends on what I find and decide at the time.

22. rokhound

rokhound Rookie

Sep 8, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Jon Mistchenko
    Interesting...I can't really think of seven unique specs to consider! When I bought mine I wanted a manual in an understated color other than black. I paid over market to get a sorted one in Rosso Metallizatto with tan interior, which is now my favorite combo.

23. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    indeed very difficult...
    - manual or auto
    - shields
    - Daytona seats,
    - personal plate (for the first owner)
    - dashboard color other than black?
    - ...?

24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Daytona seats, colored inserts, contrast stitching, and piping are the interior options I can recall off the top of my head.

25. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    1. M
    2. GTA
    3. Grigio Titanio
    4. Beige
    5. Shields
    6. Dayton seats
    7. Dedication plate

Got all but #6, which I may add when I have the front seats redone.

paulchua likes this.