Premium JBL Hi-Fi System Worth It? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Premium JBL Hi-Fi System Worth It?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Glenn Quagmire, Jan 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Totally up to you. I have the upgraded stereo on my Portofino, love it. With the F8 I decided not to get it. I did however order the lift. I have a garage lift and I won’t be able to get the F8 on the lift without it. I also did it for piece of mind. I already assumed I would be driving in rallies and such so you just never know. This summer my daughter and I will drive the F8 to the FCA event in Canada from Chicago. Have no idea what roads, driveways, etc will be like.

So in summary, really up to you. It is your car so make it how you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Did you get the lift I on your PISTA...... I am trying to consider a Pista used or an F8 have passed on the PISTAs without lift .... but I doubt I would use it so did you order it with or without....thanks

3. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I have had the upgrades JBL since the 458 and for me it is worth it and has greatly improved but not as good as other manufacturers with a lower cost. I selected it in the 812 as it seems even better than my 488. I had the lifter in my Diablo and never used it. When I have a curb to cross, I just take it at an angle. When trying to buy a used 812, NOT having the stereo upgrade was not a deal breaker though.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  4. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Would definitely get both! Can’t see it any other way.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I did not order it. In almost 3 years of 488 ownership I never once used the lift and that was with taking the car on and off on my lift in the Gm garage on a regular basis.

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Charleshopes

Charleshopes Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Hong kong
    Start from Lusso/488, i am sure it worth.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I got the lift and the JBL on my 812. We don't have either on the Portofino and I didn't have them on the Cali T HS or the 488 Spider. Those are drop tops and really, I never listen to the music in those cars since the top is down most of the time. That won't be the case with the 812 so I got the JBL. I had Burmester on my 991tts and I listened to it a good bit since it's a coupe and you drive with the windows up enough to make it worthwhile. We had the Bowers and Wilkins in the QP. In a nice coupe or sedan, the better sound system makes sense.

I haven't had the lift on any of the other three F cars or any other but I got it on the 812 because here in Austin there are plenty of places I need it. I am tired of having to go so slow and careful to get in and out of driveways around town. My driveway is great but most businesses have steep drives here in Austin. Plenty of houses do too.

I think it depends on the car for the hi-fi and the geography for the lift. Yes to better stereo in the coupe, no in the drop top. Yes to the lift in a hilly city and no in a flat city.

sampelligrino and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Is the relative improvement in JBL audio across generations strictly to due with the system itself or is there an element due to the 488 not sounding as good/loud as the 458?

$4500 High End Burmester AMG GTS + High Fidelity streaming on Tidal = Epic

Scuderia911 likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    On my Pista radio delete and no lift. Don't need either and probably save a decent amount of weight. If I want music I use a BT speaker and stream from my phone. :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    The lift depends strictly on where you live. I also live in Austin and my 488 does not have the lift. Let’s just say I wish it did.

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Having had cars both with and without the JBL system and lift I think the lift is for peace of mind and JBL is for peace of the spouse as the base system is a disgrace and unlistenable even when standing still.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    In terms of resale you’ll only get back fractions of the option cost for these, but when I bought my used 458 Italia, I valued these options over cars without. In terms of your use - well, I’ve only used the lift a few times but when I did I HAD to. The JBL I use 80% of the time and wish it was even better. Minimum audio quality I would accept in a car - especially one that costs big $$$$. I keep toying with upgrading it but don’t want to touch the interior. Might upgrade the exhaust instead!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I find it necessary to regularly use the lift. I also enjoy the sound quality of the JBL system, even if it's only marginally better than the standard audio system.

sampelligrino likes this.
  14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Hifi is a must have for me if/when available, I'm already spending X dollars at this point so I didn't want to to stress over adding in $4/8k more (Hifi and CarPlay). On buying used I'd prefer if a car had it. Sometimes I enjoy music off and engine screaming, and other times I'm contemplating life in gridlock traffic where music is nice.

Lifter I'm 50/50 on, it's nice to have in a pinch but I've made do without it on my Speciale (I have skidplates)

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What are the other options you are considering?

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I took matters into my own hands with regards to the crossover . Stuff the council I redid all the footpath and my crossover and lowered it about 4 inches to as to less the angle into my property :)

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know some people who got the standard system in the 488 and then had some quality Dynaudio components installed by the local dealer instead. Nothing with amps or the like, just drivers. I heard one of them, and it absolutely blew the "upgraded" system out of the water. I have not seen or heard the F8 system yet, but from what I'm told, it is very similar to the 488 system, and uses the same drivers. I've seen the drivers that was taken out of both a 488 with standard and "upgraded" audio. Both Ferrari and JBL should be ashamed. What an utter pile of bottom shelf Harman Kardon rubbish that was, an utter joke. Our dealer here bring in an installer when they have this sort of thing done. Everything gets done in factory location, and everything looks and functions 100% factory stock. It just sounds like something worth using, rather than a base system from a 90's BMW.

Do I think it's worth it? As it can be a dealbreaker in my neck of the woods, yes it is worth it in that way. Is it worth it if you cannot get by without your radio and some tunes, and if your dealer can't or won't upgrade your speakers? Yes, because while it is still bad and stupidly overpriced, at least you can get by with it. The base system is just so atrociously poor and unpleasant to listen to, that it is useless for anything but a weather report and the news.

Lifter? Few ever need them where I am, even when going on ferries or in multi story carparks. It is still a bit of a dealbreaker, as most seem to like the peace of mind.

I will consider both a bit of a necessary evil.

18. Re: FAL

If you have to ask the question whether you need the lift, then you need the lift.

Actualizer and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Is ground clearance of F8 the same as 488?

20. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

‘don’t worry about a dealer average. The base unit is so pathetic that if you don’t get the jbl...you’ll be regretting it every time you’ll hear it. Lifter is a must so really that’s a no brainer. Have fun..be indulgent ...it’s a Ferrari :)

Graz likes this.
  21. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Have both, use both.......peace of mind.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have people tell me all the time that they bought the JBL setup - and they regret it every time they hear it LOL

23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well my two pence is that I love it! It’s much better than the base unit. Cheers and best wishes on your F-Joy drives!

24. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    I always add it because the base unit is almost embarrassing. That said, the JBL unit isn’t great or what you might expect, but at least you will be able to tell what song is on. I think Ferrari doesn’t want anything competing with the sound of the engine.

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #50 GT2goneF, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    My two cents... If you don't think you will listen to music or barely at all. Don't get the nopegrade JBL. However, I think it may help with resale (usually not a deal breaker). I too wish Ferrari would consider being less greedy in keeping a high profit margin on such a low grade sound system and keeping JBL alive and maybe charge 1-2 k more for a system more in keeping with its brand and prestige; and throw in the Android auto and Apple Carplay.

I think the lifter is like a owning a weapon. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I got both... and a tad more... Except the stupid Apple Carplay...