Fuel filler cap release switch | FerrariChat

Fuel filler cap release switch

Discussion in '348/355' started by MikeeB355, Feb 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Just wanted to check I’m not being dull and that I’ve discovered (something else) that’s not working properly on my car. Pulling up at the petrol station just now I pressed to release button but the flap didn’t open. Tried with the engine running, not running, ignition on, ignition off but nothing happened. It did work last time I filled up but I remember it didn’t open first time and I had to try a couple of things which resulted in it opening that time.
    I know there is a manual release inside the engine bay but don’t want to be doing that every time so just wanted to check if there is a special “Italian way” to do it.
    Thanks one and all,
    Mike

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There’s multiple discussions on this, there was one just a couple weeks ago. The solenoid is likely just gummed up. Pop it open with the emergency pull then spray some WD40 on the pin as you move it in and out, make sure your fuel protector apron isn’t hanging it up etc.
    Key must be on to have power to pop it. It could be a component, the switch, solenoid, wire etc, but 9 out of 10 times it just needs cleaned up and some lube.

308 GTB likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    With someone pushing the button, can you hear any clicking noises at the flap? There is a fuse in the passenger footwell, but it's unlikely it has blown.

308 GTB likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Feb 1, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Looking at the wiring diagram, there is also a relay, so lots of potential faults:

Fuse, relay, wiring, pusbutton button, corroded pins on flap release connector, flap release solenoid, un-lubricated latch, rubber flap not seated properly, ignition not turned on...

The solenoid is rather expensive. It is sometimes repairable (with a lot of effort). There was a message thread on this, but I can't find it at the moment.

Here's a potential danger from a faulty release system:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/gas-flap-solenoid-cross-reference-or-replacement.276774/#post-139417373

5. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Thanks everyone, sorry for the repost. Plenty to go on though so will have a good look tomorrow, if it stops raining...

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Please let us know if you have success (or not)

Sorry, haven't had my morning coffee yet.

7. MikeeB355

MikeeB355 Karting

Dec 7, 2019
    S Wales
    Full Name:
    Michel Bee
    Success! A deft squirt of the old faithful WD40 onto the lock mechanism and it worked first time.
    Thanks for all the advice, again..