The $45, 000.00 clutch for a California???? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The $45, 000.00 clutch for a California????

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by David Charles, Jan 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Porsche is the better car. Enjoy it.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    In what way?
    T

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think the only solution to your dilemma is to get one of each. Porsche + Ferrari = best two car garage, in my opinion.
    T

4. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    And now we have a "professional ferrari technician" saying, "The Porsche is the better car. Enjoy it." Are you just saying that, tbakowsky, to make me go away?

tomc.....incredibly, I have actually been running the numbers on that, holy sh*t the wife would kill me! What is it with women and their opposition to sports cars? There should be a whole thread on this. :) It's my freaking money after all!!!

Anywhoo, seems the headers on the F430 are a real issue, but I see lot's are sold on ebay and they are not that expensive. I don't need "fancy" sounding ones, lowest priced ones are stainless steel and come from the UK for 1800.00 CA$, cheap. I know the labour is supposed to be 15-20 hours min. But once it's done, it's done. I'm going to email the owners of the two F430s I am looking at if the original headers are on the car?

Both sellers said I can have their cars inspected by ferrari Vancouver, I'll have to pay 500 bucks for the inspection of course.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    David...not all wives are like that. The peach I married told me to stop screwing around and buy a Ferrari! So, we did!

You got a great "problem" my friend! Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

T

sasso1977 likes this.
  6. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Ok never mind, the one F430 seller says, "Immaculate, NO ACCIDENTS, local (Canadian), rare red on tan Ferrari F430 (F1 Transmission) with over $70,000 of modifications including aftermarket headers (also have originals), catbypass pipes (also have originals), exhaust modification, GFG - Giovanna three piece wheels, Scuding lighting system (headlights, taillights, engine bay lights, third brake flashers), and more!"

So headers..done. I should just buy the damn thing.

7. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    I did pay the wife off with a brand new car this month, one she wanted, and taking her to 5 star Caribbean resort to escape merciless Canadian Winter. All of this is adding to my "acquisition" budget on this car. :)

sasso1977 and AD211 like this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had to buy the wife a whole new kitchen for $50k when I bought my F430. It cost me $250k new in 2007

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Converted the screen porch to a sunroom for my wife at $30k to lessen the blow of getting the Cali. Yep, there should be a thread on this!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    You're preaching to the choir brother!

Now my wife has seen a pic on my phone of the red cayman, first question she asks....how many people can ride in it? :)

I thought the second question might be.....where will I fit all the groceries?

I truly believe that if I get an F430, and tell her, that's the car she saw on my phone, she will not know the difference.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not trying to make you go away at all. Just over the course of ownership the Porsche will be the one that will exhibit the least amount of wallet emptying repairs..the Porsches interior will stay together longer also.

That siad. The cali is a great and fun car to drive around and enjoy. It is a ferrari after all. But keep in mind, there is always a bit of anxiety that come with Ferrari ownership.

Mimmo Blue and AD211 like this.
  12. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    I agree with your post 100%, thanks. The porsche is the "logical" buy, for sure. The on going theme of this entire forum is.....ferraris are costly and impractical, you buy one because you love it.

tbakowsky likes this.
  13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Fixed it for you...

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    2011 911 & 2011 Cali. Both have been pretty reliable, knock wood, the latter more so, double knock on wood. To be fair, I've got roughly 3x miles on the former. As of this time, both have exactly one sticky bit. But, you're right, F cars can bite you with a $$$$ repair quite easily, and that dose of reality needs to be repeated often here. It's probably the most useful thing I learned on F-chat when I was in the hunt 5 years ago. I modified my search parameters accordingly and have never regretted the Ferrari experience for a minute...T

tbakowsky likes this.
  15. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    My concern with ferrari ownership is not repair cost, it's only money. My bigger concern is inconvenience. Both ferrari repair shops are an hour away from my house, that means each time, a drive there..waiting around....and a drive back. Or having to arrange for pick up and drop off, or, getting a rental car to get back home. My wife will not tolerate driving me home after dropping off the ferrari. She already hates the car, and it's not even owned yet.:)

I would maybe end up, flat bed down, and flat bed back, unless it was just a routine oil change, in which case I would drive and wait. NP.

I have a feeling that porsche will see the porsche shop once a year for oil change, and that will happen in October, right before it goes away for the Winter.

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's a shame. My wife is a huge fan of the Ferrari. I'd probably still be on the sidelines, analyzing, dreaming, etc. if she didn't kick me in the butt and tell me to s**t or get off the pot. I'd be no help in Andy's proposed "what did you have to do to smooth things over with the wife?" thread.
    T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Lucky you Tom! She puts up with it because she knows I’m better off mentally after going for a cruise after a long week. As for the OP, my dealer picks up and drops off for the annual service or other repairs at “no charge”. Nice for warranty repairs when I’m zero $ out of pocket. I’m 3 hours away from the dealership. I’m in a 2010 and my extended warranty expires this October with no more extensions. Crossing my fingers going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  18. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought my F430 new in 2007. I have 44k miles on it. I only take it once a year for annual service (I drive 425 miles one way) to Ferrari of Las Vegas. I have never been stranded or towed. I spend a few days having fun in Vegas. There have been a couple of times where they needed parts and I just flew home and flew back when car was ready

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SpencerMarks and 9650max like this.
  19. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Finally....a positive review of ferrari ownership from Way2fast. :)

Way2fast likes this.
  20. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Another thread I'd be curious about, as a side note, what does everyone do for a living in order to afford ferraris in the first place? Clearly there are few if any women here. I work in the film industry and another board I am active on also has zero women posters.

Do we have a large contingent of doctors and lawyers here? Or is most everyone a business owner?

21. YAHABO

YAHABO Rookie

Feb 16, 2016
    Perhaps try a 991 GT3 Touring. Properly exciting engine, but standard 911 looks to the uninitiated...
    Or if you want open top...see if you can get your hands on a speedster somehow..

22. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    I would certainly be the "uninitiated," to me I'd look at it and say....porsche. :)

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A manual 360 can be sorted out to perfection. The F1 cars have many more problems. I took a 5,555 mile vacation in my 360 stick last year. No problems.

As others have pointed out, the California transmissions can now be repaired or rebuilt for substantially less than replacement.

24. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    I hear ya, once again it's a case of....the one armed economist.

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I worked my way in construction after failing to complete college.

So, while I don't drive high value Ferraris, with my early 308s I am at the same parties!!
    New Ferraris and also their owners are different.

There have been a few long time female owners posting here....Kerrari in Australia is one the few, but also Leslie Choo down in the 308/328 Section.
    We have some female owners in Houston that don't chat here....