Stopping at a traffic light | FerrariChat

Stopping at a traffic light

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cyr, Jan 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    When taking the Portofino for test drives (four in total) the dealer told me NOT to keep my foot on the brake at traffic lights as it ruins the brakes. Instead I should use the handbrake everytime. Found that quite strange but as I am a complete newbie I listened to him. Also got a peculiar smell when I once forgot and kept my foot on the brake pedal.
    When it was becoming clear to him I was a serious potential buyer he changed his tune and said it was not a problem to keep my foot on the brake at traffic lights. Very different. Hmmm. Bit concerned he was telling me what I wanted to hear instead what I should hear.
    Which one is right? What do all of you do at traffic lights: keep your foot on the brakes or use the handbrake on the left? Putting it into neutral is not an option as the car rolls backwards at the lights near me.

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Ridiculous advice.
    Sounds like a joke being played on you.

jm2 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I know with conventional brakes after using them heavily you shouldn't hold the car on the brakes as this can cause damage to the pads or even warp the discs. That is after extreme driving though..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

I'll bite. Unless the car has been driven extremely hard ( as in several laps on track ) you are ok to use the brakes as designed.

The is no hand brake though in the Portofino, so I am somewhat confused that they would have told you to use it. The parking brake switch does however activate a separate brake caliper , with its own set of brake pads , on the very same rotor that would be over heated from aggressive driving, so no real advantage IMO.

Either way, GL with your purchase and enjoy many years with your new Portofino!

S

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Handbrake at a stoplight. Crazy, I would not buy anything from this joker.

Jaguar36, AD211 and montegoblue like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    B.S.
    The car even uses the brakes for the hold function. If he was serious, it's a shame your dealer does not have a clue about the car he's selling.

If you hold at a light for a bit, the car will go into neutral to protect the clutch, but other than that, nothing special. Take your dealer to the workshop they have there and get the lead tech. When you are all three together, ask the tech to confirm that silly postulate.

Dumb.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe the parking brake actually uses a system using the transmission. Basically a traditional "Park" where the trans locks. That's how it is in the 458, 488, FF, F12, Lusso and others. I can't see any additional caliper and there's no drum brake inside the discs.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I believe you need to take a closer look at the photograph in my reply above ( wink ) of an actual Portofino.

S

9. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Unfortunately the traffic light in question is quite near my house, is for a six road interchange so stays on a long time a and of course always goes red exactly when I approach. Currently I put my 911 into park mode. I guess I would have to pull the P lever on the left to put the Porto into park mode. Neutral is not an option as the car will roll.
    Thanks everyone for your answers

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #10 Il Co-Pilota, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    No. You do not need to put it in park. It will not hurt the brakes.

Why do you ask a question if you don't trust the answers you're given? Everyone agrees, including a tech from my dealer which I just asked in an email. It's silly and incorrect.
    Ask that guy exactly what and how it will harm the brakes. I'm interested in what stories he will come up with.

11. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I apologise if I gave the impression I did not trust the answers. I certainly do and really appreciate all the folks who offered their opinion. The last post was not implying I did not trust the brakes (or everyone's answers) but if it means keeping my foot on the brake for a long time and I would rather put the car into park mode as I do now. If that means pulling the P lever, so be it.
    Seriously guys, thank you very much for your replies. I hope you will reply to my further (possible stupid :rolleyes:) questions:)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're welcome. No stupid questions, and I'll be more than happy to answer if I can. There's a huge amount of knowledge on these boards, often a lot more than what you find at your dealers, so ask away:)

Andrew Pour likes this.
  13. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Maybe I am being particularly obtuse but I value your experience: if I do not want to keep my foot on the brake at a traffic light (or in a traffic jam) what should i do? Putting it into neutral is not an option as the car will roll.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    When you come to a stop and the car is in gear, what happens if you let go of the brake? Normally there's an "Auto Hold" function that prohibits the car from rolling. If you're then sitting at the light so long that the car goes into N on its own, you can of course pull the Park brake if you wish to do so.
    Personally, I think the best way is to let the car sit on Auto Hold until it goes into N, and then for what will ultimately be a very short time hold it on the brake.
    Only other alternative is to put it into N right away and then into Park as I think putting the car in Park for like 10-15 seconds after the car automatically goes into N, is sort of pointless. Like I said, I have zero issue using the brake, neither does any techs at my local dealership, and while many other things you should be aware of is mentioned in the manual, there's no mentioning that you cannot hold it on the brake. Again, I cannot for the life of me figure out where your dealer got that idea from.

15. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Thanks. I do not have the car yet so cannot experiment but will certainly do what you say. Hopefully the car will go into auto hold which is fine. If it then goes into N of course I can stamp on the brake for a few seconds. Much appreciated sir.

16. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    how does auto hold work? in my portofino auto hold works only if you turn off the car or start it up, besides that every time i stop at a light i need to pull the button/leaver to engage it and it will automatically release once i apply the throttle. so in theory the auto hold should be called auto release.
    thanks

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You're actually right. Too many different cars and issues remembering what's what. At any rate, unless I park, at a light, I just use the brake pedal. But if you hit the lever, it's at least nice that it auto releases. But I do think Ferrari needs a proper auto hold function like most other dct cars now have.

Sorry about the confusion.

lfc-Q8 likes this.
  18. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    no confusion at all, its just i thought the function you talked about wasn't working on my car so i called the dealer and he cleared things up. tho i wish it existed.

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    F12 has shoe style "parking" brakes built into the rear hub carriers,