The $45, 000.00 clutch for a California???? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The $45, 000.00 clutch for a California????

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by David Charles, Jan 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Well even if you own an old ferrari, you still....own a ferrari. :)

Grandmaster likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's what I tell the wife when she says I'm boring!
    T

3. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    My wife just played her trump card last night.....plastic surgery.

Drtim and x z8 like this.
  4. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do you get to choose which bits get augmented/reduced?!?
    T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  5. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Ha Ha good point. That will be grounds for justifiable homicide, and if she gets a woman judge, she'll be acquitted for sure. :)

6. Roberto Villanueva

Apr 20, 2018
    Atlanta
    What the man has told you is garbage. The Cali has a dual clutch auto that rarely if ever will konk out on you. He is trying to play off of the fears that plagued Ferrari owners in the past where the F1 clutch had to be replaced periodically at great expense. In the Cali you do not have to worry about that. But I happen to have a Cali that had the whole transmission stop working. It was under the purchased extended warranty but the dealer told me it costs around 20K for the whole tranny. So there is no way that the clutch alone is 45K. So he is full of it. I love my Cali. I would strongly recommend it.

7. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    To be fair he was quoting $45, 000.00 Canadian dollars, and with the exchange rate and the fact that things cost a fortune in Canada, you can see where that number would come from. I did enjoy driving the Cali for a week yes. But the porsche was also an amazing drive.

8. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    I have had 3 California's, 2010, 2011 and 2015 (cali30) (no T because that one sounds dull, the atmosferic engines sound much better) during 9 years and had no serious problem at all (I drove about 5k a year), so I would not be worried about an expensive repair, the DCT works good. That warrentyprice seems very high to me and I think, if you handle the car carefully, hardly worth the money.

Cayman is maybe nice, but is more a not so expensive volume sportscar, that does not give you the special feeling a Ferrari gives you.

9. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    A ferrari is special, there is no doubt about that.

10. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I am with Roberto on this.

I have 5+ friends with California T's. ZERO transmission issues (or engine issues). Most have had to deal with squeaks in the retractable top (like me) but that's about it.

The older Ferrari's with prior transmissions were absolutely more delicate.

The DCT in mine has not only been bulletproof but also simply phenomenal.

You are smart to check here to get broad, real-world data vs. relying on one person who is confused about which transmissions or in which Ferrari model cars.

11. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    California 30 ? What does the 30 mean? I don't think I've seen that before.

12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The California 30 was the 2013-2014 normally aspirated California that preceded the California T. They added 30 horsepower and shaved 30 kilograms of weight, hence the name.

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal
    I've owned five Ferraris, and I sold my last Ferrari about 2 years ago, which was an F430. I now own a 2012 911 GTS manual and a 2015 911GTS PDK. If you buy a Porsche with PDK make sure you have a factory warranty OR a Fidelity Platinum service contract. Fidelity will pay for PDK replacements. My 2015 PDK failed at 9877 miles under factory warranty. They replaced it. Porsche is HORRIBLE in that they don't make it easy to repair that transmission. No parts, no support to either dealers or private garages. You swap the trans. Even for an oil leak, which was my situation. I'm so pleased to hear Ferrari may be helping their customers to control cost of ownership.

The F430 feels like an antique compared to a newer car. I don't want to get jumped on for saying this but for me, I no longer want a car that is so obvious in public. I get a little embarrassed. When my business first took off, it was a rush to own a Ferrari. Then I owned two at once. I met some great people, did Concourso Italiano and The Quail, all that stuff. Now that my company has really grown, I want to enjoy a bad-ass car but stay just below the radar. The biggest relief I've felt in recent memory was when I let the F430 go.

For the same less money than a F430, you can get a 991.1 C4S or GTS with a warranty and the driving experience will rock your world. But I'd never own one with a warranty. All these companies are about making money.

14. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Well, a 2001 360 has come on the market for an incredible $60, 000.00 CA$, and it looks amazing. The most beautiful 360 interior I have seen thus far and only 34, 000 km or 21, 000 miles. Unfortunately it's the convertible spider, but it is RED! From what I have seen this looks like a consignment sale for someone who obviously needs quick dollars. I can't confirm that, but the price is a full $15, 000.00 below the next cheapest one with 40, 000 more KMs!

I am talking to them Monday am, I will of course ask first about the belt service. But for that price.....geez, I don't know if I can go wrong? The porsches are always plentiful, this could be my trade in two years if things go South for me at the porsche dealership, who knows? I mean for that kinda money, so cheap, I'm willing to gamble on it.

tomc likes this.
  15. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Well....even though I'm a newbie I know a good ferrari bargain when I see one, that car sold....fast. Oh well, next.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Ok well this story has come to an end for now, I bought the porsche 718. It is really beautiful, graphite blue. I'll have the new car warranty and drive maintenance cost free for now at least. So, not this time Ferrari my love, maybe next time. When the 2016-17 Californias drop in price 4-5 years from now, I'd love to pick one up then. I do still love that car.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Graphite blue is a great color. Cayman is a great car. Did you get manual or PDK? Congrats. Post up some pics, DC!
    T

18. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    Manual? Um, I'm not that much of a purist. :) So I have the PDK with the paddle shifts, and oh man, is it fun out on the HWY. Geez is it fun, drop a gear, put your foot down, and the car is a rocket. Post some pics on Ferrari chat of a Porsche? Won't that be violating forum rules? From the Porsche website, this is the actual car I bought. I'll post actual car pics that I take myself if I can find a spot, we'll be under 12 feet of snow here for another two months. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not against the rules. I think there's a Porsche picture thread. At any rate, hope you have an early spring up there and lots of fun in your new ride...T

20. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    If you buy a Cayman, wait for the GTS with the 4.0-liter flat-six. The turbo-four is a very uninspiring engine.

21. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    I drove it, I thought it was amazing.

22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have traded several times my gated 430 spider with my friends PDK Cayman GTS. The Cayman certainly out handles the 430 easily. But it lacks the sound and soul of the 430. The Ferrari is the total driving experience that leaves you grinning from ear to ear

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    There is an old Porsche ad from the days of the 964 ... it read, “It’s like children. You can’t understand until you’ve had one.” It applies to Ferraris, too.

There is a something special about the sound and feel of the Ferrari. I’ve lost count of how any Porsches I’ve owned since my first in 1990 ... mostly 911s. I love the 911, I traded my 991 cab for the Cali T last summer. But I can tell you that I have never pulled up to a light in the Ferrari, spotted a Porsche and wished I was driving it instead ;)

Surfah, rgb125 and hercfe like this.
  24. David Charles

David Charles Karting

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Richard Boddington
    My only other ferrari experience was with the Cali for a week, the Cayman certainly outdrives it. Do I expect people to come up to me at the gas station as I fill the Cayman and say, wow nice car...nope.

25. Molto Buona

Molto Buona Rookie

Oct 10, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about the California's per se (unless it is maybe a 2009 - demo cars, don't buy one - or 2010 the first year had a few bumps). My wife's California is a 2012 and had its DCT replaced under warranty due to a vibration - only fix was a swap (factory had tried rebuilds, very unsuccessfully I guess). Was advised this was a known issue, albeit fairly infrequent. OTHERWISE, a couple of hard top convert adjustments (cheap) and not a single issue otherwise beyond the A/C Controls rubber surround is warming up for a "sticky-no-more" treatment (when will Ferrari learn, enough with the rubber) -- a really fun, easy car otherwise, with a nice exhaust note to boot.

tomc likes this.