360 - Belt sounds | FerrariChat

360 Belt sounds

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kitchdog, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi all,

have a 2001 360 Spider - i have had it for 8 months now and it had the belts done before I took over ownership (seen all receipts).

I have always noticed what sounds like a belt noise, it doesn’t sound wrong as such, but is it normal for me to be able to hear at least one of the belts moving around doing it’s thing? I really only drive with the roof down so this could be the reason I am more aware of it. It’s like a whirring/chirping sound and I don’t hear it all the time.

Anyone experience anything similar?

thanks

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Ryan: I have a 2003 360 Spider. I don’t notice any sound that I would identify as a belt sound. I would suggest you take the car to a good 360/mechanic and have them listen to it. Or, join your local chapter of the FCA and see for yourself what other 360s sound like. Good luck!

3. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks Bob. I’m going to try and pinpoint the exact conditions in which I hear this sound and get it looked at. It could be wind noise for all I know but I doubt it.

4. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Why not just remove your access cover behind your seats? You will get a better idea of exactly which belt it is

5. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    great idea thanks mate. Will do that for next drive.

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Probably just air getting sucked in the side vents

7. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case to be honest, I am a worry wart when it comes to this car!!

Oengus likes this.
  8. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    When I had my 360, I didn't hear anything like that. You should show it to your mechanic.

9. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

coupe or cab?

10. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Chirping? It could be one of the belt idler bearings. Easily fixed by independent shop for about $150 or at a Ferrari dealership for about $6,000. LOL

Apollo 11 likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is not fair. It depends on the idler bearing. If it is the timing belt tensioner bearing then it is expensive. If it is one of the smaller anti-skip bearings then it is just a couple hundred bucks. Getting to the access panel is 50% the work.

12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The serpentine, AC, and PS belts have an odd way of having their tension being measured. You may just have a loose belt.

13. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Belt tension is measured by listening to the frequency of the belt when you pluck it at a specific point.
    I used the app by Gates called Carbon Drive on my phone. I had to remove my alternator belt when changing headers. I used the app to measure the frequency before removing the belt, which was within specifications, then re-installed to the same frequency.

14. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    It’s not so much a chirping or a squealing, but more of a frequent whooshing/wind sound. Doesn’t happen at idle.

Will get my Mrs to try and film/record it next time.

Next service due in May, might bring it forward a month or so.

15. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    if the belts are too tight they can make some noise especially when cold.
    if they are too loose they can squeak until the belt warms up or under hard acceleration.
    Below are the specs from the service manual section A 3.04
    Alt belt 90 - 100 Hz adjustment is from under the car.
    AC belt 131 - 145 Hz
    Power Steering pump belt 90 - 100 Hz

16. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    thanks for your reply Neil, appreciated!

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Those specifications are incorrect, and will lead to the P/S belt being too loose. It will squeal badly when the car is cold. Ferrari revised the belt tension in the 360 CS manual. The correct tension for the P/S belt is 216Hz

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

18. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Is the alternator spec correct at 90-100 Hz?
    I measured mine before I removed it and it was around 95 Hz. The belt was last serviced a year before by Ferrari dealership and has about 1500 km on it

19. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Brian - thanks for the update - I will make a note of this and keep it with my other updates as I learn more.

20. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Okay so after a few drives this weekend I think I’m hearing two different things.

When stopped at the lights I think I can hear what is definitely one of the belts. Sort of comes and goes but can be heard at idle doing it’s thing. Might need to be tightened.

The other sound which is what I was trying to describe in the OP is more of a subtle clicking which is easier to hear when car is under throttle and warmed up. Almost sounds like when you stuck sports cards on your bicycle spokes as a child, but not as loud as that.

I’m not getting any CEL’s, and the car is driving fine. Think I’ll bring the May service ahead to March.

21. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    Early 360 models the drivers side timing belt hydraulic tensioner has been revise do to failure coming loose from the bracket causing the noise you describe !!

22. Kitchdog

Kitchdog Karting

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    hmmm...the tensioners were replaced in May. Thanks for the reply mate - think it’s best I get it looked at, will keep his thread updated.

23. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Yes, alternator spec is correct at 90-100Hz. But those specs are for brand new belts. The tension on a used belt will usually be less. I am surprised that your belt was still at 95Hz. If I have to reinstall a used belt, I check the tension first and then reinstall it to the same tension, unless it is way off of the specification.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

24. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Yes that is what I did, measured before removal then rei-nstalled to the same tension. I would be surprised if the tension was off since new belts only had 1500km, about 900 miles on them

25. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Hi guys. I notest the same problem on my 2004 360 spider. after replacing the heat exchanger and the water pump i start hearing this Chirping noice from the belt. I checked over and over definitely are not the belt. Servive was done 2 years ago including timing belts. Could be the ac compressor?
    The noice only happens whe the car is on idle.
    Any Thoughts anybody?