Ferrari backed New Power powertrain warranty extension | FerrariChat

Ferrari backed New Power powertrain warranty extension

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Patek, Feb 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Has anyone bought this Ferrari Backed warranty extension. I have a 2012 458 with 21,000 miles. I have never bought one of these on any car I have owned, but just got this in email today by my dealer. I don't even know how much it will cost, they say call and come in and it will be Man-splaned in detail.

Thanks,
    John

2. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Typically if you buy the extended warranty before the 3 year runs out it cost usually $9-10K for 2 more years of full bumper to bumper. For years 6 thru 10 I believe it's around $4.5-5K/year with inspection fee of course which i think is $500? However, this warranty is not bumper to bumper and excludes many things but does include the transmission and major components.

I have a 2014 that I did do the 2 year extension then an additional year. I'm not sure I'm gonna get another one this upcoming 7th yer. It's a piece of mind thing so to each his own.

Hope this helps.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    There was no inspection fee for me to add the 1yr power warranty to my out of warranty '14 Speciale FWIW, it was $4.5k for V8. I think another FChat member also recently posted how one dealer wanted to charge him an expensive inspection fee, then he went to another and no inspection fee, so I would push back if a dealer is trying to charge that based on these reports for anyone looking to add the 1yr power warranty (non-extension)

Spot on though that I was made aware it is not a bumper to bumper warranty, covering only major components as you said.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    If you buy the car from an authorized F dealer, you get 2 years of new power for 4500. If you buy it from a non-Ferrari source and then ask the Ferrari dealer to warranty it, they will charge you ~$1000 for the inspection, and $4500 for the new power for 1 year. If the warranty has not expired on your car, you can buy a 2 year extension of the original warranty for ~$7500.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    I bought a two-year extension on my 458 2015 Speciale Aperta it’s up in August I have 220 miles on the car I’m really not sure if I’m going to put it on there again as of yet
    It Cost me 9600 in 2018 but if you negotiate with them you can get it for around the same money because they start off at over 10,000 and then there’s sales tax on it in New York but I negotiated it down to 9600
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    2012 458

$4,500.00 MSRP New Power Warranty - Listed item coverage , your Dealership should be able to hand you the hardbound book that list the exact items covered.

YOY you get a discount for renewal and another discount if you do not have any claims in the previous year ( $375.00 for each one you qualify for )

Once your 7 year services are up / expired, you can choose Main Power Warranty , which has the same coverage as New Power Warranty ,PLUS your next years ( 8th year) service is included, price for Main Power warranty is $ 4,900.00 ( $4,410 each year after that!)

Hope this helps,

Steve

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As long as the Ferrari is still under the orginal 3 year factory warranty an owner can choose either of the options below:
    $6,300.00 1 year warranty extension
    $9,900.00 2 year warranty extension

Depending on the cost to perform an annual service in your area, you may apply that money to the next warranty extension and come out ahead if something comes up.
    Main Power Warranty will cover your 8th year service, FWIW.

S

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Close

If you purchase a car from a Ferrari Dealer, there is a special 2 for 1 New Power Warranty option.
    If you purchase outside the Dealer network, you can only purchase year over year, at $4,500.00 for the first year, then the next year, you get $375.00 off for renewal and another $375.00 if you didn't have any claims in previous year. ( $3,750 )

S

Avia11 likes this.
  9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Warranty extension does not require an inspection.

New Power / Main Power warranty does require an inspection be performed. Can take a few as 3 hours and as many as 5 hours if performed correctly and everything is actually checked out as outlined in the check list.

What does happen a lot, is if you are adding a warranty at the same time you are having your annual service performed, there is a lot of overlapping inspections and work being performed. So , speaking for myself, we do not charge an inspection fee anymore when an annual service / renewal / purchase are all on the same visit.

Otherwise, work is being performed ( inspection ) process is being followed, why wouldn't an owner pay for the inspection to qualify and submit the warranty request?

S

tfazio likes this.
  10. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Steve! You’re the best!! Forgot about the no claim incentive

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. Suborbital

Suborbital Karting

Apr 25, 2018
    Fallbrook, Ca

I’ve bought it three years in a row, I look at it as part of the cost of annual maintenance. I willing pay for the piece of mind.

MANDALAY and Avia11 like this.
  12. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I bought the warranty for the first year I owned the car. I tracked it a few times and put 6,000 miles on it. Then I declined extending the warranty, the car seems good.

13. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    The usual running bill is less than $1200 per year, sometimes like $850. My old 550 I spent $30,000 in 3 years to keep it up to date, and fix sticky things, ECU, Motor mounts, A/C , Steering rack etc.
    THe 458 is like a toyota compared to the 550. I bought it from Ferrari of Atlanta 4 years ago, and take it to then for all services.

Thanks for the information. Very good stuff.
    John

14. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Is there anyway to get an update on this with prices as I have heard things have changed.

488 in particular would be great

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Read the fine print. I had many clients upset when they found it doesn't cover leaks, audio or electrical issues.

16. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    If they find a leak during inspection do they make you fix it since it’s not covered. I heard that replacing s main engine seal is something huge like 20K as they have to drop the engine

17. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I believe the warranty has a 90 day exclusion meaning you cannot make a claim for 90 days. unless they have made a change very recently a rear main seal would not be covered as seals and gaskets and leaks alone are not covered. Only major component failure. the fine print is always changing so do your due diligence.

18. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    No I meant that if they require inspection to renew, but find a leak, will they make you fix it before the renew the warranty as leaks are not covered.

19. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I think that will be entirely up to the dealer. Unless they change the policy the leak isn't a covered item anyway. The policy seems to change non stop.