Parking Ferrari on street | FerrariChat

Parking Ferrari on street

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Penguin, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Hey guys. I have a 2014 Ferrari 458 spider in black. I live in Louisville and of course park my car in my garage. However, I have recently been doing week long gigs in a small rural city in eastern Kentucky. The gig provides me with a condo in the downtown area with street parking while I'm there for the week. I have been leaving my Ferrari at home and driving my Mercedes to the gig, but the last time I was there the boss found out about my Ferrari and said he would really love to see it. So my dilemma is that I would like to do the nice thing and drive my Ferrari next time I'm there, but it would involve leaving my Ferrari on the street overnight for a week. It is a very small city w/ a population of about 25K, but the condo is in a relatively 'down-town' area where there are restaurants and bars. Any thoughts and suggestions?

On a side note, I'm relatively not obsessive about the Ferrari in that I have loaned it for a couple days or so to some of my friends so they could know what it feels like to drive it. I've had it for 3 years now and the novelty has definitely worn off. It's completely paid off and off coarse have full coverage insurance.

Clyde Romero and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Is it going to be parked in the same spot for the whole week? In other words you are not going to drive it each day and park in a different spot.

The proximity to bars would give me cause for concern. Tell your boss he has to spring for secured parking (if there is such a thing in a small town :))

3. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    I would pretty much park it outside the condo on the street, basically in the same spot for the week. During the day I would drive to car to my gig, but yeah at night same spot. The bars do give concern, but since its a podunk town there are like 6 people in the bar at night max. It's a really small city in the middle of nowhere, but technically the condo is 'downtown'. My boss bought a really nice condo for the specific purpose of housing people like me driving in from out of town for that gig, so I wouldn't feel comfortable asking him to put me up somewhere else with secured parking. Thanks for your reply.

Texas Forever and Manda racing like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Then I guess I would go for it.

Hey, if something happens to your car, your boss will feel so bad you can write your own ticket going forward! :D

nicholasn and Penguin like this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Generic car cover? (NOT a bright red one with 'Ferrari' emblazoned on it ;))

alum04org likes this.
  6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I dunno, I'd be tempted to bring it, but I'd probably pass and tell my boss guy I just don't want to leave it on the street for the week. I think that's understandable. Or take it and find a place with more secure overnight parking nearby.

I get that it's just a car, it's insured and in all likelihood would probably be fine on the street, but I don't trust people enough to think no one will mess with it.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    if you have given the car to friends for a few days without regard, give the boss the car for the week and park his on the street.

8. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    While I would probably not want to park my car on the street like that, you have insurance don't you?

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I panic leaving it in a hotel car park over night!
    July this year we are spending a week in St Ives (UK) in Cornwall. Very pleasant town but the house we are staying in has no local parking.
    This would mean my Ferrari would be in a municipal/public car park when not in use/overnight. As such I'm tempted to take my old BMW rather than brand new Mercedes let alone Ferrari.

That's the UK though where I fear it would be spat on, ran on etc. If you can think of what someone would do then they probably will.

timjen88 likes this.
  10. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Vandalism -> file claim -> get dinged on carfax.

sf_hombre and ZF123 like this.
  11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    oh heck no. it becomes a target for what people want but don't have, and in today's society there are no more rules that govern civility.

outrageous behavior is encouraged and supported.

no, no, no and no.

Asif163 likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I have parked my 458 at hotels, away from the crowds if not a Ferrari event, and not had an issue. I never parked it on the street though, so I can't say I have any experience.

13. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Thanks for the responses guys. Along the same vein then, has anybody had an experience where they parked their Ferrari on the street somewhere (either overnight or during the day) and something bad actually happened? I know there is always fear of some jerk keying the car, but has that actually happened to anybody? When I had bought my Ferrari I was worried that once in a while I would have a negative reaction from somebody, but in 3 years I have not had a single negative incidence, so not sure how much of this is just in our heads.

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Not a chance in the world. I've had my Cadillac CTS keyed in a public parking space in the town where I live. Invite your boss to visit you in Louisville for a weekend, even let him drive your 458. Far less chance of suffering damage.

thorn likes this.
  15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I dont even like leaving my old daily in St Ives! Parking spaces are tiny and the place is full of stupid hoorays in their equally stupid SUVs so expect door dents as a minimum. As for the locals! A lot are lovely; but a few do still have a chip on the shoulder.

16. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I'd tell your boss to see it at your house. Problem solved.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    [QUOTE="Penguin, post: 147020790, member: 200739"§]. I have been leaving my Ferrari at home and driving my Mercedes to the gig, but the last time I was there the boss found out about my Ferrari and said he would really love to see it. So my dilemma is that I would like to do the nice thing and drive my Ferrari next time I'm there, but it would involve leaving my Ferrari on the street overnight for a week.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he was just being polite.

I wouldn’t feel obligated to show the car in person. Some iPad pictures would suffice.

Matt

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Nah, my boss asked me to drive mine once, I explained to him that my insurance doesn't cover me driving to/from work (which is true). I showed him a few pics and he was good with it. Shouldn't feel any obligation to use YOUR car for something it wasn't intended for just because someone wants to see it.

unreelviper likes this.
  19. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Perhaps he was just being polite.

I wouldn’t feel obligated to show the car in person. Some iPad pictures would suffice.

Matt[/QUOTE]

He daily drives a Corvette to work, so it's safe to say he is into sports cars. I know it would make his day to sit in and get a ride in a Ferrari. I did show him pictures of the car. He needs me to work in his practice more than I need to work there, so I don't feel 'pressured' to do what he asks. It's just that as most F-car owners, if I could make somebody's day by showing them my car or giving them a ride, I typically would like to do it.

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Never. I wouldn't even leave my Mercedes on the street. One more thing for your mind to worry about at night which might affect your job performance if you're distracted or not sleeping as well. I wouldn't even trust a parking garage or hotel parking. Clueless soccer mom's driving huge Range Rover's and Tesla X's will give love taps to your ride in the form of door dings or bumper scratches and jealous, entitled vandals that hate seeing material success will jump on your Ferrari's roof with their sneakers and post to Insta.

Drive your beater, park on street, don't give two f-cks, sleep like baby, do good job, get raise from boss.

MalcQV likes this.
  21. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    A bunch of years ago there was a thread about some high school kid peeing on a 360 in a parking lot and posting the video online, which then showed up in a thread here. IIRC he was ID'd by some diligent and resourceful members, but don't think anything came of it. People can suck.

22. Penguin

Penguin Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Wow. I only have 2 cars, my Ferrari and my Mercedes. According to you I would not go moonlight at this gig and make some extra cheese. I sleep like a baby parking my Benz on the street. It's a nice car, but just a Benz, a middle class car. I'm not worried at all about that. My main job is in Louisville, and this gig in Paducah is just a way for me to make a couple extra bucks on the side. Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm really thinking about it.

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    does the hotel have a front door area where you could leave it?
    or, is there a cop station close by? if so, park it right there in their parking lot.

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    In your opinion, a Benz is a middle class car. But a bunch of drunk coeds emptying the bars after last call wont hesitate twice to keying the paint, knifing the tires, pissing all over your windshield and hood or emptying leftover Coors light bottles into your gas tank while screaming "YOLO" to impress their friends.

If none of that concerns you and have drive some old beater C300 then no worries.

Penguin likes this.
  25. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes, i had a bottle thrown from a window at mine with a huge dent as a result. Since then i never leave the car out of sight and under windows. I would never ever leave the car unattended.