What do you think about the Avanti? | FerrariChat

What do you think about the Avanti?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by MRG22, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #2 GrigioGuy, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The example shown above isn't the best representation of the car. I have always loved the Studebaker-derived Avanti and Avanti II, and one is on my "someday" list (behind the Delorean and Jensen Interceptor). I'm completely ambivalent about the GM-derived late model Avanti models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
    #3 MRG22, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Take a look at this all original 12,000 mile 1963 Avanti - for sale.

Studebaker Avanti For Sale - Once Owned By Dick Van Dyke
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with this.

The Avanti is car I have always wanted to like. But it's kinda unlikeable. I like what Raymond Loewy's crew usually did. Usually. But it's a fiberglass exercise of a fairly hastily drawn car. And it lived a lot longer than it should have.

I don't mind the GM involvement. The Chevy engines and transmission really helped the Studebaker Hawks.

Matt

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As a member of LeMay, I've seen it a fair number of times... it's a nice project
    for sure but IMO will be a totally "new" car when done, not really a restoration.
    But maybe that's how "First model" restorations go sometimes...

Jedi

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    We can't be completely off in some of our tastes, as I think the Delorean and the Jensen are both incredibly cool cars. Having seen quite a few (or at least, having seen the same few numerous times?) when I was a kid, I could never grow to love the Avanti. For me? It could have had 1000 hp and been the fastest, best handling car in the world, but the esthetics just struck me as wrong.

Of course, this is said by someone who thinks the Lamborghini Espada is one of the most beautiful designs ever. :)

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    You need to percieve the avanti design in the context of what was being produced then. It was an incrediably modern design, 5-10 years ahead. The cockpit is still cool.
    Like all old cars, you want one someone else has brougth up to spec.

maybe a de;lorean looks cool, but they didnt even eprform well in the early 80's when all cars kinda sucked.

The espada strange from some angles but the progenator of all the cool hi perf gt 2+2's we have today.

An interceptor is f well sorted is anaston vantage for 1/4 price and reliable. Great cars, with suspension mods.

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I love them, though as said before the one in the first picture doesn't do them justice.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Beat me to it - I had 2 words for you - RAYMOND LOEWY.

Enough said. Also on my "someday" list...

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Sort of like a 57 T-bird.

It was all about the styling, not the running gear.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #11 Rifledriver, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    The Hawk line died before the Chevy motor era but the Larks had them. The Studebaker motors were a good piece but by the mid 60's were an antique.

The heads were not a great design and really needed the superchargers to make them breathe. The R3 and R4 heads were special castings and cured some of the problems but it really needed a clean sheet design.

My brother owns the 25th one built and was one of the cars used at Bonneville to set the records in 63 with one of the prototype R3 motors.

A couple of years ago I was at Speedweek in Bonneville with Ryan Falconer who worked for the Granatelli's back then. He had a lot of great stories over dinner.

If you are really interested ask my other Brother. He goes by Crallscars and he has a couple of them, Chevy and Studebaker.

boxerman likes this.
  12. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Prices are climbing, mid century modern.

boxerman likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The running gear couldn't have been too bad. They set a bunch of world records at Bonneville.

14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #14 normv, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Those we're Andy Granatelli prepared cars with STP sponsorship, The only really half decent ones from the factory we're the 1963 round headlight R cars which only a rare few remain. The suspension was king pin with a 50's convertible frame because it used a X member, awful at best. I know I worked at the Newman Alton factory which bought all of Studebaker Avanti stock after they moved to Canada. I drove a R3 for a little while and they we're fun for the time. What to look for is rust in the PIG Troth pans which is what we called them the sheetmetal pans that connected the ladder type frame to the fiberglass body. The fiberglass body panels we're built in Ohio same people who did the 53-54 Vette panels. of which there are as I can remember 127 pieces to bond together as they used 50's technology to almost stamp out the panels like a metal car which got welded together, rather than using larger molds that broke away to revel a one piece fiberglass part, like a front clip without seams. The seams on the Avanti always shrunk down requiring filling and repainting. Still the best Job I ever had. Had sex in that one, they were not happy about the heel prints on the dash though,lol.
    https://compage.moldedfiberglass.com/2015/spring/time-travel
    https://www.theavanti.com/fiberglass.html

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know all of that. One of my brothers has 1025, one of the cars used at Bonneville and owned for years after by Vince Granatelli. My other Brother has several. I am also friends with Ryan Falconer who worked for Granatelli and did much of the R3 and R4 engine work.

normv likes this.
  16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I'm jealous!

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

, Many ads say hog troughs redone, always wondered what they were.
    The Avanti and the excalibur as two cars on my must have list. Pretty much none of my car frieds understand the excalibur deire, and few get the Avanti.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ryan falconer who also makes the pushrod V12 or SBC chevy architecture. love that concept.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    normv likes this.
  20. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In