Engine Replacement DIY - any tips? | FerrariChat

Engine Replacement DIY - any tips?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jcbam, Feb 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    Hi, I am about to replace the engine mounts (192022 for 575M) on my 99 456M GTA, since I have rattle noise sounded like from exhaust but another thread suggested it can be caused by bad engine mounts. Any tips, precautions about replacing them?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/engine-mount-replacement-diy.456151/ I found this thread for 308 before jacking up the engine the shift linkage should be removed. Does it apply to 456M GTA? Or I can simply 1) remove the bolt (one bolt per mount), 2) jack up the engine slightly with a large board under the oil pan, 3) remove 4 bolts on each mount and replace it with the new mount. 4) reverse the procedures.

adding a pic of my existing mount. Does it look bad?

Attached Files:

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Right side is a slam dunk but the left one is a PIA. Some people lower the steering rack to get access. I do not but having a friend help is a big plus. Make sure to get the updated mounts and the additional parts required to install them.

3. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    @Rifledriver Thanks for your quick reply. May I know what additional parts are required? Do you mean the nut (176573) & washer (12601774)? Can they be reused? What about the big retainer washer (182141)?

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    182141 is needed. The nut is a pinched self locking nut. The Italians have been paranoid about fasteners coming loose for a long time and this is a good example. The pinched nut makes it very difficult to reassemble the left side. I run a tap through it to remove the self locking ability. They do sometimes shred the threads taking them apart so you may need new ones. If properly tightened it will never come apart on its own.

You can jack the motor as high as needed without disconnecting anything. The mount brackets bolted to the block will need to come out to get the mounts out of their hole and back in.

5. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York

Thanks a lot for the heads-up. I will order the nuts (I believe you meant 176573 because 182141 is the big retainer washer, right?) . Glad to know I can simply jack up the engine without disconnecting anything. From the picture, any comment on the condition of my mount?

6. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    Btw, do you know the bolt torque spec? Both the big bolt and the 4 nuts for the mount.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No. I wrote 182141 is needed. Please read what I wrote and not what you think I meant.

8. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    just to be clear. I need the big retainer washer 182141.